1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Wooden Ladder

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by treenewbee, Nov 29, 2015.

1. treenewbee

treenewbee Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I saw the page Wooden Ladder http://starbounder.org/Wooden_Ladder And the pictures of which humanoid and armor have the climbing sequence pictures . But there is no sign of starbound will add it . I don't know if the staffs forgot it or they gave it up . Could you staffs give me the answer?

2. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Moved to Starbound Discussion and changed the title to something meaningful.

Those pictures aren't anywhere on that wiki page. Not sure where you're getting that info from.

3. treenewbee

packed\humanoid\human\malebody.png
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Unless im mistaken they at one time planned to add ladders (very early) but in the end decided not too. It would be a lot of work adding them now since every armor/clothing would need spirits for it.

5. treenewbee

I'm sorry I mean the climb behavior . I must write the thread with translate software and I forgot to write the main content . I want to say that Did the staffs forgot to add the climb behavior into starbound or that climbing state will not be added into the game?[DOUBLEPOST=1448807167][/DOUBLEPOST]
    that is it I want to ask . Thank you .[DOUBLEPOST=1448807702][/DOUBLEPOST]
    But I had unpacked the asset early before at the koala version . almost evry armor had the climbing sequence pictures .

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  6. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Many of those armors have been remade by now and theres also the vast amount of clothing/costumes/etc to take into account. Anyway, as far as i know they won't be finishing the ladders, it was just something they planned to do in the past.

7. treenewbee

Oh bad news thankyou for answer me ~~

8. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I fixed your images again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You do not need to rehost the imgur-hosted images on prntscr.com. The imgur hosted images work just fine.

Also, I would really like to see climbing be implemented in Starbound.

9. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Really is no reason for climbing since we can jump far faster. There is basically no instance where it would be more beneficial do climb than jump/grapple.

10. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I dunno, I can certainly use more sprites. :)

11. Mackinz

If the game had high gravity instead of low gravity, climbing would be very useful.

12. lazarus78

We still have grapples and dubble jump. Plus you could just make zig-zagged ramps. And if Skyrails could go vertical, that would improve their usefulness a bit.

Hindering movement for the sake of justifying one mechanic doesn't seem like the right way to go about it.

13. Lintton

Lintton Guest

High gravity planets would be interesting, the falling damage would be nothing to trifle with. :)

14. Mackinz

Grapples could be slower depending on gravitational pull, double jumo wouldn't really work too well when your base jump is like three blocks max, zig-zag ramps require a five block width to be effective and still require a lot of back and forth, and vertical skyrails would basically be a ladder.

15. lazarus78

But none of those options would require extra spriting for a climbing animation, which is the subject of the topic.

And if gravity is so strong thatyou can only jump 3 blocks max, then what makes you think climbing would be better/faster? Vertical skyrails would at least have boosting capabilities to mostly negate gravity.

16. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

A simple fix would be to make a ladder decoration by editing the images for shelves and have them stand-able on each step.

17. lazarus78

That would be a platform. We have those already.

18. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Yeah, it's just the work/benefit ratio is way off. It'd be a TON of spritework for... I'm not sure how much benefit there actually would be. It's not like the game is full of Mega Man-like stage designs.

And you can make ladders... I use them a lot in my ship.

upload_2015-11-30_19-39-46.png

19. Mackinz

But most of said spriting is done already.

20. lazarus78

It would still be a lot of work just to justify a single mechanic when we have other perfectly good mechanics that achieve the same task, better.