1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Wiring] Leak Prevention and Elevator

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Eonwulf, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Eonwulf

Eonwulf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So I recently started getting back into Starbound through playing the nightly builds and it's a lot of fun.
    Then I found there were builds of the week and this week was hotel so I made a hotel.
    The hotel is an underwater hotel with an elevator so it has some wiring involved.
    I hadn't done a video in a while so I decided to make a wiring tutorial covering those two elements.
    So here it is. Enjoy the video if that's your thing.

2. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

Elevators that stop on each floor. That's cool :)

Thanks for the video! :up:

3. Sageheart

Sageheart Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thank you so much for explaining this. I've been wanting to put a basic elevator system on my ship when 1.0 comes out but, I really don't understand gates at all. I'm kind of a dummy when it comes to wiring. :cry:
    I have saved the video and will study it again later...Seeing all the wires overlapping each other made my eyes gloss over. Heh.
    Can't wait to see what you come up with next. :D

4. Eonwulf

If you don't need the doors that prevent you from entering the elevator shaft, then the wiring for it becomes a lot simpler. I just felt the doors were a nice touch to give a realistic elevator feel.

5. Sageheart

Sageheart Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh yes indeed, they were a very nice touch. Didn't think it was possible to have them set up that way.

6. phichikapparho

phichikapparho Subatomic Cosmonaut

Waiting for 1.0 really is getting hard again. Seeing things like this make me want to go ahead and start on my various build ideas... but I dont want to have to do them all over again after the update.

Because whether or not they are going to delete the world files so everyone can start completely fresh; im definately starting a fresh run on a new char when it comes out regardless. So I dont want to become overly attached to any of my builds... which unfortunately leads me to make all of my crafting/storage areas that I put on various planets EXTREMELY bland and uninteresting.

Sh4dowWalker96 likes this.
  7. Eonwulf

Yeah I wasn't going to play until 1.0, but a lot of stuff has been changing in the game and I wanted to get used to the changes.
    So I figured I'd play through the story and then I saw the build of the week thing so I thought I would try that out.

On a note to everyone, if there is a wiring thing you would like to see done, then I can try and do it.
    Just thought I'd offer that out there. I'm not a very creative person so I typically can't think of what to do next.

8. ZachVolfire

ZachVolfire Space Hobo

If possible could you try wiring a Gondola lift?

9. Monario

Monario Subatomic Cosmonaut

I was wondering because I tried to do this myself, and I believe there's an engine limitation but... would it be possible to wire a door in such a way that it closes itself automatically, but lets you open it manually regularly, you know, the normal way just by interacting with it? I tried it myself, and closing the door is of course no problem. The problem comes in when you add in the challenge of letting you open the door like a normal door (no pressure plates, no sensors, no buttons/switches, nothing). The issue seems to be that when you wire a door, the door becomes unavailable for interaction with E and can then only be opened by another wired source... or, again, so I think. Doesn't hurt to ask someone who may know more about it!

Thanks in advance.

10. Eonwulf

You are entirely right in your assumption. Whenever a door is wired it can no longer be opened using the default interaction. It can only be opened at that point through wiring. That is of course until you unwire it, then it behaves like normal.

11. Monario

Monario Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well that's a shame. I would love to be able to close doors automagically but still have to open them manually. Reason is I don't really like automatic doors (unless I'm specifically making something sci-fieske with the high tech sliding doors or something), and it doesn't really match doors like the basic wooden ones to begin with <_< but NPCs leaving their doors open in my colony just drives me insane.
    Oh well, thanks anyway!

The thing that I'm gonna try to me next myself is make a model of a big building or colony using nothing but signs (linked to each other, placing them next to one another), and then have that model in a control room somewhere be actually functional. First thing that comes to mind is to add a dot in the center of each room of the model, and then have those dots light up when something happens, although I'm not sure what would that be yet xD Perhaps a flooding alert or something.

12. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Oh, thats a nice one.

I wish it would be easier like simply having a "track line" a button that you cna connect to it making the elevetor on the track the button connects come to the level and a trackpiece beign an 3second autostopper.

Sure you can wire all that stuff. but as long as we do also not have a "hidden wiring" layer the logical gates, especially on the ship tke a lot of space and look kinda ugly.

13. bearffalo

bearffalo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have 4 floors and for some reason I cant move the elevator from the 3rd to the 4th. This also applies to calling it from the 4th while its in the 3rd. Can you help me out on this one ?

20160826190645_1.jpg 20160826190651_1.jpg 20160826195453_1.jpg 20160826195520_1.jpg

14. Eonwulf

When you press the button on the fourth floor outside the doors does it change the persistent switches to where the left one is off and the others are on?

Edit: I see what is going on. I will post a quick picture.

15. Eonwulf

Here's your problem. Missing.png

16. bearffalo

bearffalo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh wow thanks alot it worked !