Wipe your feet on the way in...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by WelshPixie, Feb 28, 2012.

1. cvnvnasdf

cvnvnasdf Industrial Terraformer

I've thought of an idea.

uuh, Floran Documentary?

2. SWiTCH

SWiTCH Starship Captain

Someone should make a Chose Your Own Adventurer kinda post :DD I love those books, and yes I still read them.

3. Keeper has quite a collection of them -- You Are Starbound. Fairly awesome too, I may say.

Sky Watcher
    Between a Rock and a Miniknog

4. SWiTCH

SWiTCH Starship Captain

Sweet this is awesome! Thanks for showing me this!

nababoo likes this.
  5. No problem at all :)

6. Dave Combine

Dave Combine Corporate Co-Chair

A simple question; does the story HAVE be about Starbound? I was thinking of writing a story, but it wouldn't be totally related to Starbound (Such as the races like Avian and stuff).

7. There's no strict rules regarding it, but it can be anything related to the Starbound universe (so Avians and Poptop fics would be fine :DD). Stories regarding other things would go in the Literature forum, near the bottom of the main forum page.

8. Dave Combine

Dave Combine Corporate Co-Chair

Oh, ok. Thanks!

nababoo likes this.
  9. SpiroExDeus

SpiroExDeus Cosmic Narwhal

So basically they're saying it should be family friendly. I'd say PG-13 rated (or whatever the US or your country's equivalent is - PG stands for Parental guidance, the 13 implies that it is suitable for a slightly older audience but might be ok for younger). I'm not sure posting something under NSFL would work if it doesn't comply with Chucklefish's conditions above.

10. SpiroExDeus

SpiroExDeus Cosmic Narwhal

11. Neapher

Neapher Phantasmal Quasar

That my good sir, is an excellent decision. Unfortunately I am working on an entire series of my own at the moment.
    Under any other circumstances, I would applaud you and give you three cookies before following such a guideline.

12. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

I'm a good decision maker. :3

13. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

Hey guys, I've been writing in the fan fic thread for a while now but I never really said anything about it in here. There have been a few people who said they liked 'em but only one person actually came forward with criticism. It would be awesome if some of you guys would look at it and tell me what you think and if I'm doing something wrong. Peace.

nababoo likes this.
  14. SPARTEN1337 X13

SPARTEN1337 X13 Big Damn Hero

I shall tell you a story... a story of a thread whose entire first page was nothing but people trying to think of storys

Ecleptic likes this.
  15. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

It must be a horror story then! Or maybe a dramatic comedy?

SPARTEN1337 X13 likes this.
  16. Ecleptic

Ecleptic Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh Where?!

17. jintoya

jintoya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

LOL this is what ive been doing for a few weeks. im a long time DM looking for ideas for a Starbound themed campaign, i was actually looking here to see if anyone else thought of it, and it looks like no-one else has. this started about a month ago as a pet project but ive made other video games into D&D games, most notably Poke'mon is now my biggest (content wise) game ive made...took me almost 1 year to do it all

18. Neapher

The day after Starbound beta releases, I'm going to make you guys a full Starbound Tabletop RPG.
    Not the day of, obviously as I'll be quite busy with staying home sick.

You keep bugging me long enough, and I'll bring you the swag.

19. jintoya

jintoya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

(can i ask, what is swag?)
    working on weapon damage and terrain now, not sure how im going to generate random monsters, might just wing it and call it good. how would you handle this issue?
    as for races, weapon types and star-ships (using materials from Star Wars rpg books published by Wizard).
    im mostly done but im not sure i have enough weapon types. im looking at 3 main types of weapon, ballistic, laser & plasma (too much XCOM: EU) then the weapon types will be in 3 categories small for pistols, med for rifles of any kind, large for large machine guns and i think sniper rifles too) with a 4th for special weapon types like grappling hooks, canister rifles and rocket launchers. mainly stuff that doesn't fit into the other 3 categories for whatever reason
    im thinking il put heavy importance on ammo types, seeker ammo gives a bonus to hit, phantom rounds are sniper only, long distance rounds, screamers (or sonic rounds) deal extra sonic damage. many many kinds of ammo have been devised but im still working on it.

20. Neapher

I usually don't go so in depth with terrains effects or whatever, so I'll leave you to that.

Make roaming monster tables to create random spawns. (Walking through desert, roll a D20 every round. 1-16 Nothing. 17-20 Roll again. Second Roll: 1-10 Common creature (or a specific one if you want) 11-15 Uncommon. 16-18 Rare 19-20 Very Rare (Or DM's choice on a 20).

I would wait for more information on the actual game before writing too much on weapons/ships/settlements.

Weapon types are a must but usually require very distinct advantages and disadvantages. EX: In DnD, the standard cleric is restricted to blunt force (IE: Clubs and maces) These kind of weapons do high crushing damage. (Good for not killing enemies, or breaking blocks. Effective against soft creatures. No bleeding effects on normal hits.)
    Piercing weapons (spears, arrows, daggers etc.) have a wide variety of uses. Damage is generally low, but can occasionally be devastating (Backstabs/headshots). They also are useless against creatures with no flesh IE: Skeletons.
    Slashing weapons....

You get the idea. Each one is very different in it's own respects. Same with a Starbound RPG. Difference is, there are melees and a huge selection of ranged. Try to balance the Plasma, Laser and classic ballistic style weaponry accordingly. Laser is generally defined as heat, so a Laser wouldn't do anything to a lava monster, or most armors. In addition, Lasers wouldn't cause bleeding damage. If anything, it prevents bleeding (Good use in game, a companion is bleeding out, shoot him with low power laser to stop bleeding and stabilize him.) Plasma on the other hand literally melts through Metals and flesh, although it generally has huge drawbacks. (In Fallout, Laser is weaker, but more accurate and quick. Plasma is strong, but risky due to it's inaccurate and unspammable nature.) Plasma weapons are also highly volatile and require actual ammunition, rather than a high energy charge. Drop a vial while reloading and... opps!
    Finally Ballistics are fairly easy to predict. They would cause bleeding and high pain (while plasma and lasers would destroy nerves entirely) and a leave actual fragments. (This isn't always a good thing. These can be traced back to the gun, and with advanced Starbound era technology; You.) In the Starwars RPG, Ballistic weapons are barbaric because they require actual resources to make and need to be reloaded often. They are also expensive. Then again, they all ran around in plastic, laser resistant armor; so a bullet would be an unexpected death for most.

Back to the lava monster example, Burning, melting and shooting a lava monster really doesn't do the job. Last I checked, swords and hammers didn't either. Luckily we have the "Special weapons" catagory, which almost all have a supcatagory of their own. (____Throwers, Thrown weapons, Grenades, Etc.) Lavamen can't stand a water balloon!

Lastly, weapons types as you discribe are sizes, not types. Handguns, Rifles, Smgs, Heavy Automatics (MG's), Shotguns, and Specials all have their own category. They each function similarly (minus shotguns and specials, they have different functions) but each kind has minor differences. With melees, a sword might do a D8 of damage while a knife does a D4. With weapons, these modifiers should be to range, accuracy, and Recoil. Not to damage. Damage changes should be almost exclusively based on ammo. Ammo types are important, but easy to figure out.

I went into weapons too far, and made a huge wall of text.... Sorry about that!

TL;DR: Nerd rambles about Weapons in RPG's.