1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Windows 10 automatic launching of server fails.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by lazarus78, Aug 10, 2016.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I am using the task schedular to launch the server at logon, but for some reason it fails saying it cant load the sbinit.config file. There is no log created so I cant provide that.

However, running the server manually works just fine. This doesn't make much sense. Any ideas?

2. Monviech

Monviech Intergalactic Tourist

I also faced that issue and I have found a way around it.

1. Create a .bat file named "Starbound.bat" and place it in the win32 folder of your Starbound Server path. (It has to be in that folder, otherwise it will fail)

2. Edit the .bat file and add following line with a text editor, (edit the file location to match yours):

Start "Starbound Server" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\starbound_server.exe"

3. Create a Task in the Task Scheduler that refers to the .bat file with following options:

General: -Run weather user is logged on or not
    -Run with highest privileges

Triggers: -At system startup

Actions: -Start a program
    -Program/script: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\Starbound.bat"
    -Start in (optional): C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\

Settings: -Allow Task to be run on demand
    -Run task as soon as possible when scheduled start is missed

Press on okay and enter the password of the administrator. Press confirm again.

If you did all these steps, starbound server will Start on startup in the background without the user session being logged in. I tested this on my Windows 10 server.

You won't see the server window as open cmd though, its hidden in the background as service. You can test if it works by logging in from a host to the starbound server.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

That is what I ended up doing.

Thanks for the help.