1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the fans are upset about Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Critwrench, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenman

greenman Spaceman Spiff

Oh man, I'll grab one of those. All these comments are making me hungry!

EDIT: I'm grabbin' two!

Terran and SPOOKS80 like this.
  2. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

People are throwing shit on the fan here. Nothing more. ❄

3. Arrem

Arrem Subatomic Cosmonaut

My friends rarely try to sell me video games.

Jim Jones, Lorebro and WhiteMousse like this.
  4. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

We actually had an internal discussion about almost exactly this a couple of days ago.

Whilst some of these items/features might not seem essential on their own (i.e. the dash tech). The pool of them as a whole is definitely essential to the experience. One of the biggest parts of what makes a game like Starbound fun is knowing there are cool items to find that will change up the way you play. So all of these smaller features come together to form an experience that is essential. The things we work on are certainly not random however, it's actually pretty structured and I go to great pains to ensure we have todo lists and deadlines.

We're building a game with a soul, and that IS essential.

5. Vinauf

Vinauf Industrial Terraformer

It's not like anyone's forcing you to be here.

So all of a sudden we're all ignorant? Wonderful. Also, you're the one that's deciding to keep us in the dark regarding all of these topics. Why are you so touchy about the money? Perhaps it's gone?

ExplosiveCrate and Jim Jones like this.
  6. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

So beta and the game were released and they did not give it to you?

7. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Juicy shots of documents on how much you pay the employees :p.

8. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

I'm talking about your behavior. It's awful. ❄

Serenity likes this.
  9. SPOOKS80

SPOOKS80 Pangalactic Porcupine

Tiy has every right to be annoyed, people need to chill the hell out.......fair enough it is a discussion that some felt needed to be addressed but none of the devs deserve the crap they are getting.

This would be better off locked till people have had a chance to cool down then maybe think about re-opening it and addressing it at a later date.

:cookie:'s :)

Rookee, Spike and Serenity like this.
  10. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

I vote exterminatus on this thread. It is iredeemable

Exxil3d, Seud, Trowzers and 2 others like this.
  11. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Good one spin doctor, had no clue we were all a hive mind connected to arrem.

Skarn, Hugt, IndieGamerRid and 4 others like this.
  12. Vinauf

Vinauf Industrial Terraformer

Why do you refuse to address the fact that they've allowed their deadlines to slip?

Jim Jones likes this.
  13. Golin

Golin Aquatic Astronaut

Lol I find this thread amusing. You are better off ignoring him, insulting him won't do anything. :p

Miss Andry likes this.
  14. Listen. I wrote a massive wall of text addressing Critwrench's concerns. People seemed happy enough with that, I stuck around to answer more questions, and then you started asking me incredibly invasive questions about my pay.
    Put simply: Tiy's right, it's absolutely none of your business. I'm going to answer anyway, though, for the sake of full disclosure and putting this discussion to rest. I imagine if I don't, "Chucklefish doesn't pay people!" is going to be the next hot topic.
    I'm not paid because right now, there isn't a way for me to legally become a paid employee. Currently, Chucklefish is working on getting me a work visa so that I can legally become a paid employee.

But, yes, my travel expenses for going to i49 were paid for.
    I'm not going to answer anymore questions about it. This is information I am giving to you, not information you're entitled to.

You're completely ignoring the rest of what I said. I didn't just say "Oops, development is weird." I said developing Starbound is weird and difficult because there are so many elements to it that require balancing and problem-solving, which makes it very difficult to predict how long things are going to take, especially when more features are being added.
    It's our first game as a company-- we're going to make some mistakes. I've said as much in the past. I'm sorry that you'd prefer to think it was a clever ruse to scam people out of their money.

It's a shame. This thread started out really well, I think, and now I've got to lock it. Hopefully actual concerns were all addressed, and if not, feel free to PM me or make another thread asking legitimate questions.

Klokinator, Exxil3d, jing577 and 28 others like this.
  15. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

OUT OF CONTEXT OUT OF CONTEXT ALERT ALERT WEE OOO WEE OOO.

Shalderave, Exxil3d, jing577 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.