1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Starbound was disappointing to me. (Listed reasons of why. Hopefully not TL;DR)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Vsuchinoko, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptThad

CaptThad Pangalactic Porcupine

heh I'm surprised you didn't jump on the key customization then. That's not even in the nightlies yet, and it's pretty much the most basic of basic features. :D

I'm prolly jaded by too many betas though. UI stuff always comes in dead last. Stuff like character deletion usually isn't all that important either when your characters are getting wiped all the time. heh I honestly never even noticed if you could or couldn't delete characters in-game. I'm still kinda surprised we even had any graphics options at the early release state.

Vsuchinoko and KONGIKU like this.
  2. KONGIKU

KONGIKU Void-Bound Voyager

wow I didn't even think of key customization.... That's a really good point haha:cry:..... I guess that just makes me feel more disappointed. It seems like all the old online games and MMOs I have had no matter how good or bad they always have these things. I hope these things at least exist by the end of this year I guess

3. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

The game is not finished.

Let me repeat that.

The game is not finished.

Features like keybinding or character deletion, or whatever minor customization options are typically among the last things to happen because they're not important for this stage of development: making the game not die during normal operation. Your disappointment is based on expectations you should not really be having for a game at this stage.

You don't worry so much about whether the car's got a gas cap when you're not even sure it'll make it down the block without breaking down.

The stable version frankly has more meat than I was expecting for early beta.

Peelz and Darklight like this.
  4. KONGIKU

I understand that this is normal but these sort of technical things are not things that are "subject to change" and at this point I think it's just neglect that it does not exist in the game. Just add them and then forget about it. Key binding is possible there is just no UI for it. So finish the UI before adding other random things please!

5. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Going to disagree

6. KONGIKU

why would you ever not want a delete button or key binding

im so lost here

?? ? ? ?

7. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Because there are far more important features in need of work

8. KONGIKU

Like what?

Do you think finishing key bindings would just take too much time? Or putting a delete button in the stable release would take too much time that the "more important thing" will just never get finished? I don't understand the logic sorry

9. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Wait, what?

Me, taking this personaly?I was just informing him the game was being worked on and that some of his points were null, or atleast would be if he either played the nightlies or when the 1.0 update came.

Devs should see criticism, heck yes, but this is suposedly based on a less worked stage of the build, one where many of these problems were indeed valid, but now they just...arent.

Again, I was making sure that he knew all of the curent information, so he woudnt start making wrong criticism, thats all, I was in no way taking it personaly!

Jeez, you look like you are.

Vsuchinoko and Darklight like this.
  10. KONGIKU

Was anyone else weirded out by the fact that our spaceship runs off of coal BTW? It seems like a major placeholder unless that coal is infused with some sort of magic that it can power FTL capable space ships

Vsuchinoko and Thundercraft like this.
  11. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

It's just the Tony Abbott school of aerospace engineering.

12. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

This game was never claimed to be hard sci fi. SO no

13. KONGIKU

I'm starting to believe you will defend anything

14. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

No I just favor logic. You have poop monsters walking around. You're telling me that's hard sci fi? Invalid arguments and superimposing one's expectations on something that gave no sign of living up to those expectations is what I find ludicrous

15. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Keep it civil, please.

Vsuchinoko likes this.
  16. KONGIKU

I dont know is it logic or just a lazy response? It just seems like coal was a last minute idea for fuel since the stable release has no NPC interactions.

Since you cant obtain fuel by any legitimate way other than digging things from the ground they just decided wood and coal would be a placeholder for something different that would take relatively the same amount of time.

Or i at least hope thats what the case is because coal just does not fit

Vsuchinoko likes this.
  17. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

There is plutonium and uranium and Solarium in the later tiers. Your reactor is just able to squeeze out the energy it needs from certain matter. Coal does fit because it eats up A LOT of it. Again you expect dilithium rods or something like that. That is your problem

18. KONGIKU

Either way its a design flaw or place holder. It's efficiency is not comparable to uranium and especially in the context of FTL. Were talking three million times the potential energy difference.

Edit: I would also like to say thats 1kg of uranium. Lol

Vsuchinoko and Thundercraft like this.
  19. Vsuchinoko

Vsuchinoko Phantasmal Quasar

Just a sharing of opinions so don't take it in a bad way Darklight. I agree with KONGIKU and yclatious though where they're just saying that these things need to get a little attention ahead and for the long-run.

We're not bashing the devs hard work, so don't take it that way. Good god, it just seems that you want to refute any possible fix people mentioned because you're afraid that we'll become a larger forum of just constant backlash. Nah man. Its just people pointing out little minute things that, if changed, could make the game that much better. We all know there are bigger functions to be worked on. You made that point. A little reminder doesn't hurt. No customizable key-bindings would be like a huge missing feature, it IS there for some people, no discrimination if you just enjoy it dude others might want it and hell maybe one day you would find it useful. The coal as fuel issue is something I find as a poor aesthetic and atmospheric choice IMO.

This just came out of the top of his head. And it is something kind of funny to think about, really. Its harmless man. Kind of funny someone addressed it really hahahah but I'm not sure if I really find it a big problem myself or not. It would be so much more sensible if there was a liquid-oil kind of fuel that ships used instead of coal.

If you always put the small things in the back of your head the devs could have oversight too. Its the small things that still matter and they could have missed these miniscule aesthetic-breaking moments while working on the major functions.

To this point from awhile ago I also did not just mean a variety of different attacks in my complaints. As I mentioned in the Original Post I really much would like to see organic reactions such as, running away, hiding behind cover, attacking in groups from different directions possibly and all of that jazz. Complex A.I. algorithms and actions. I very well know they have more than just one attack. Thanks for that though.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  20. @KONGIKU I would strongly encourage that you respond in regard to Vsuchinoko's original post by either
    • posting what you agree and disagree with, and the context behind those feelings
    • make 1 post stating the things you found disappointing about the game
    • starting your own thread
    Right now; you are choosing a topic at a time, defending it tooth and nail, then changing the topic, in a thread that isn't yours. The potential for derail is baffling -- and it's hard to keep a handle on your opinions, when they are scattered across multiple posts and responses when the thread only required 1 (maybe 2 or 3 for replies)

I agree with @yclatious -- most of the original complaints are already solved/being worked on. There's no real need to worry about them.

I know everyone wants keybinds, a delete button, and a colorblind mode (along with other necessary systems) -- but it's just not necessary at this stage of the game, where implementing core systems, code, and mechanics take top priority. The devs have already confirmed these things will happen (I think the delete button is already in Nightly?), so again -- nothing to worry about. I like the car analogy posted earlier, so I'm going to make my own; Keybinds and the other system are like a car's dashboard UI -- helps make the car drivable by a great number of people. But those things don't matter if the car's engine isn't done being built. Need the car before it's dashboard

The post wasn't unreasonable. I suggest more tact when attacking a user's post, you're toeing a line. The post was made to inform the op that the complaints are being worked on as opposed to being "thought of being worked on". The changes in Nightly already render a number of concerns throughout the thread moot.

@Darklight in a perfect world, everyone knows all the information about the content implemented and being worked on in the Nightly Builds. This is not a perfect world, do not berate others for not being as informed as you are, or for having different feelings about the game than you do. If you disagree with something, kindly refute an opinion by providing your own viewpoint. If someone is misinformed, kindly provide them with the information they need. The back and forth in this thread is unhealthy, and it stifles other opinions from being both voiced and heard.

Zouleena, CaptThad, Jonesy and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.