1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why so many guests?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by qazxcwe, Jul 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qazxcwe

qazxcwe Phantasmal Quasar

The starbound community is great but most people who come on are guests?!
    Really?
    More people should make accounts so the community becomes bigger,better and mainly just greater!
    Leave a comment below if you
    (a)Have just joined the community
    (b)agree with me

Kristopher likes this.
  2. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

...What?

3. RazoR2K

RazoR2K Big Damn Hero

What's the problem of people visiting as guests?

I don't understand... can you elaborate?

Alexblex likes this.
  4. qazxcwe

People cant comment or create more posts as guests!
    Meaning they dont help the community :(

5. RazoR2K

RazoR2K Big Damn Hero

Yup, there are some people that aren't part of a community...

But still you don't get better community with more people,
    you get better community by the quality of the members that are already the community.

6. qazxcwe

True but some of those people may have great ideas!

7. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well people remain as guests mainly because they don't have the time or the will to make an account. But there are some guests who prefer to keep their identities hidden, just like I hide behind this facade of a baby dragon. I suppose they don't want to create an account because they want to keep their identities even more hidden by not creating a facade at all. In all honesty, I believe people should be given the right to remain hidden, and we should love and tolerate them for that.

8. qazxcwe

Well they dont even need to put in ANY personal information they can just put in fake everything but I guess you have a point.

9. Spike

Spike Supernova

Yes, but there are ways to track people's IP address and in a way, their real address if they have an account. This probably will never happen to us, but some people just want that extra blanket of security, knowing they won't stand out nearly as much if they don't even have an account.

10. qazxcwe

You make some good valid points but only complete douche bags track peoples ips and this comunity is awsome so the chances are second to none

11. Spike

Spike Supernova

Yes, and somehow, there are those douchebags lurking somewhere in the depth of the internet. The chances of them hacking us are smaller than getting struck by lightning; but if it does happen, the consequences will be dire. That's why some people are scared about it; they may have been hacked before, or they have heard nasty rumors about getting hacks. I can understand their complaints; it's not a good feeling getting your vital information released onto the internet, ready for other people to extort you with them.

12. qazxcwe

Hmm...
    The other thing about this is that this forum knows how many guests are online meaning it knows about every single guest meaning it knows where they came from meaning if somebody was able to track a members id it would be a bit harder (but still possible) to track guests!
    ps I like the word meaning :)

13. neB

neB Star Wrangler

Perhaps people are just learning about Starbound, and they haven't yet gotten around to making an account. I know that was me for about a month, lurking as a guest on the forums until I finally decided to get an account.

14. Colobot

Colobot Title Not Found

I think it's mainly because they don't have anything interesting to say. I made my account because I wanted to post a Xenomorph suggestion, then sticked along seeing we have some great people here.

15. qazxcwe

The other point im making is if you have an account you can also support other ideas you like.
    It isnt entirely about making your own ideas.:proper:

16. Camz

Camz Existential Complex

If people don't wanna join and just want to browse let them after all forum's ain't for everyone people rather just play and find info on starbound etc..

17. ZoLyn

ZoLyn Aquatic Astronaut

Some people just want to see how the game has come along, it's not a requirement to join the forums/community.

Some people can be shy, some people can be lazy lol. To each their own, ya`know? :p

18. I'm only here to disagree, so sorry.

Introverts are real people, btw.

19. NinjaLGuy

NinjaLGuy Void-Bound Voyager

Never fear, the permanent guest who happens to have an account is here! And he's going to contribute his worthless opinion!

An account holder does not a community member make.​
    I've held an account here for 3 months, ever since the day I first heard of Starbound (which also happened to be the first day I had internet access in half a year). Though I lurk the forums almost daily, I have only contributed an insignificant 6 posts, including this one. For those who have no interest in connecting with the community, making account would be a fruitless effort. No matter how small that effort is, it is wasted. I hold no animosity towards people who decide to remain guests, and I strongly feel that you shouldn't either.​
    Valvatorez.png
    Also, we totally need a Valvatorez-ing emoticon. It'd be worth inevitable lawsuit.

20. There's nothing wrong with lurking!
    Not everyone has something to contribute, but they're savvy enough to know that these forums have a lot of the most up-to-date information on Starbound's development. That's why you see a lot of guests. :yoda:

1. Only moderators/admin staff can view members' IPs.
    2. You can't get someone's actual physical address just by tracking their IP address-- you can determine which Internet Service Provider they use, and not much else.

PLEASE don't spread false information like this around the forums-- it's going to freak people out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.