1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why pick human?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Shminx, Apr 27, 2013.

1. UristMcSpaceDwarf

UristMcSpaceDwarf Zero Gravity Genie

You might not be aware of this, but that bit about the Emperor being the result of some weird combination of psykers isn't canon anymore.

2. reversePsychologist

reversePsychologist Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Why pick Human...? WHY PICK HUMAN?!

BECAUSE THEY HAVE AFRO HAIRSTYLES THAT'S WHY

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

XeToRoG and coldReactive like this.
  3. coldReactive

coldReactive Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think I probably will end up choosing Hylotl though. Peaceful looking, beautiful artwork.

Which is unlike some Earth plants, which have female and male genders.

4. FireStrike

FireStrike Star Wrangler

lol and what did they change for the lore

5. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

Just like a bunch of others here, I prefer to pretty much self insert myself into the games, I enjoy having the character represent me so it adds to the immersion even more.

6. Kistaria Prime

Kistaria Prime Cosmic Narwhal

Sadly, I don't have a laser...

I have a shotgun! That I load the shells with peppercorns and crushed sea salt. Seasoning Cannon!

7. Sophisticated Mayhem

Sophisticated Mayhem Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You don't have a way to know that. ET people keep thinking we're going to be the ones that are going to be visited in some first contact scenario. Maybe it's the other way around. We're only a type 1 on the Kardashev scale, after all. It's possible when we advance to type 2 that we encounter type 0s or type 1s in our quest to put flags on things.

8. Pardos

Pardos Pangalactic Porcupine

...look, here, have a DNA corruptor. I't a piece of hi-tech weaponry wich causes massive damage on living creatures, but doesn't affect non-living things. Don't worry, the corruption doesn't spread out of the affected individual. It may make it taste funny, however. The seasoning should fix it, however

9. Silvador

Silvador Phantasmal Quasar

I did and they were nothing more than personal opinion. You asked for our opinion on why we should pick humans as a first race.

My opinion is "Why not?" Why shouldn't we? I see no reason why humans should be excluded. I see no reason why any other race is better than humans. Until such times as race specific benefits are added, I see no reason at all why any other race should be chosen over humans, or vice versa for that matter.

So you tell me, why not?

10. Shminx

Shminx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

:wut:

I'm sorry if this may accidentally sound rude (wouldn't be the first time :giggle:), but the whole point of this thread was to understand something my brain doesn't get - explaining why I, personally wouldn't choose humans won't help me understand why somebody else would. So, asking "Why not?" as a respone would then not be pertinent to the goal of this thread (unless of course, you are expecting me to correctly apprehend your personal opinion from those two words alone :giggle:).

However, I also understand that this might be a concern you're looking to get an answer for! If that's the case, you can make another thread or PM me. :)

On that note: Thanks everybody for leaving an answer. Maybe someday my mind will expand on its currently narrow scope of xenocentrism.

11. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

Wait are you implying Florans aren't living creatures? Because I can tell you that plants are definitely living creatures.

Silvador likes this.
  12. matheusmmsbr

matheusmmsbr Pangalactic Porcupine

Well because i like to reimagine me in the game, and by my knowledge, i am human and not a robot or a humanoid fish race or something

13. Infernor

Infernor Aquatic Astronaut

I too like to imagine myself ingame, that's why I shall be choosing Apex.

14. warcore

warcore Existential Complex

they might have a terran style back storyo_O
    (trys to hold in his luaghter)

15. DevonDe

DevonDe Big Damn Hero

Were you expecting something else?[​IMG]

16. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Obviously they have to have some or human-ish story, considering our history and culture. I'm personally hoping for something that uses the current geopolitical situation (i.e. nations mostly independent, but still interconnected through trade, culture, politics, etc.), perhaps with elements related to corporations and social networking.

17. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

I don't see us getting into space with the way the world currently works.

18. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Just my idea. After all, it's science fiction; who knows how things will turn out?

19. budsygus

budsygus Pangalactic Porcupine

Eh, honestly I just pulled that out of my butt (pardon the expression) because I was bored at work. I kind of like the idea of humans being outmatched in every conceivable way a la 80's sci-fi miniseries "V." Of course you're right; I don't have a way to know that. It was just a bit of writing born of a momentary boredom. I did enjoy learning about the Kardashev scale, though, so thank you for that.

EDIT: Also, did you read the rest of my post?

20. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

How is it that hard for some people to understand? I'M human, I like to play as MY race, a race I can relate to and put myself into the game as. I don't find excitement or interest in being nonhuman races, not in Baldur's Gate, not in Elder Scrolls, or in anything else.