1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why im highly disapointed about the team from Starbound part 2

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by leonD, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

look, i understand what you're saying. i was confused why crafting(a sandbox game without crafting?) didn't have crafting already? but put this to mind, there are some people in this worlds that will do the most difficult tasks first then do the easy tasks, that way they can blow past the easy stuff and not worry about the hard parts. when building a racing game which is harder? making a race track or creating physics so when a car crashes into another car the damage is registered and you can see dents? which one is harder, adding crafting or making sure that the worlds generate flawlessly with liquids flowing properly and the environments loading with different exciting variables? by doing the hardest parts first the devs can have a month of easy and simple feature additions and release without worries of bugs.

Edit: i guess what i am trying to say is, while yes some of the fans will defend their game it's best to think of how hard the devs are working and how hard it is to live up to expectations! you can make some people happy some of the time but you can't make people happy all of the time.

leonD likes this.
  2. Magician Xy

Magician Xy Ketchup Robot

Also, have you seen any of the streams/videos/screenshots/media they've been putting out lately? They've obviously done something. They're obviously making good progress now, too.

And when they gave the estimated release date of 2012, they gave that date because they were completely guessing and had not started working on the project yet (not really). When they realized that date wasn't going to happen, they released new date of early 2013. Well, that date's not right either. And now they refuse to give a new estimated release date, in large because of people like you who get really upset when the devs don't "keep their promises" and get out a release by the given date.

Beta_Nebula, WoxandWarf and Dagorran like this.
  3. Abstract

Abstract Void-Bound Voyager

Tons of games get delayed, deal with it.

I'm guessing you're not a fan of Valve. Half-Life 3 was supposed to be released years ago and all we have to know it even exists are a couple pieces of concept art.

4. joulesFect

joulesFect Subatomic Cosmonaut

I really disagree with your statement. It's simple : The devs were feeling confident about game developpement and thought they would make the realease of a public beta at the end of 2012. They realised there was a bunch of stuff they could actually do to improve the game and that it's current state was not convincing enough and that their reputation would highly suffer because of it. So they waited, did a preorder and got a lot of support. That encourages them to make the game as good as it can be for beta so that people are not disapointed.

Now, for the menus being completed and such, they could have made them for the previously intended release date but since they pushed release, what was the point of doing them back then ? Since there was no need, they waited to get more features in first...
    Tiy already said they could have made the end of 2012 release date. But the game would basicly just lacked a lot of it's polish and core material...

And besides, they made a roadmap, make DAILY updates about the game with videos and screenshots AND make livestreams about the game developpement. How can a dev team that dedicated disapoint you ? That is far beyond my comprehension...

EDIT : My point is that you seem to see menus as a CORE AND SUPER-DUPER IMPORTANT part of a game developpement, but there is no need to have a functionnal menu untill you need a functionnal game... Since there was no release, there were more pressing matters than in game menus. Actually, the fact that they are doing them now indicates that developpement is doing well

Autzome likes this.
  5. fallingorbit

fallingorbit Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Check the daily updates on the Home Page.

Does that help?

WoxandWarf likes this.
  6. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

to your edit: yea it seems so. but still its wierd, for me, to see stuff they work on which should be (normaly) already done. thats why i say that samples and reasons. i know how hard it is to work on a game, i know the f*cking pain of it. but when i say i bring out a game end 2012 then it should be 100% done and i dont, no i would shame myself to bring up pictures from the game later in 2013 from how the main character (OR STUFF LIKE) would look like. Thats the reason i mean and thats the main topic here. glad you understand me i guess.

7. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

What I got from this was that you are upset about developers that give you a release date then change it because they can't meet the previously given date. Honestly I had a really hard time understanding how you wrote this. The syntax you use is infinitely confusing for me. If what you wrote in 8 pages couldn't be spliced and changed into a single paragraph, I seriously do not see any reason to read it. If what I said is wrong, go ahead and show me error in my ways, but in a concise and friendly manner.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  8. UncleCoord

UncleCoord Big Damn Hero

What is it exactly you think 'should' be done that isn't?

WoxandWarf likes this.
  9. Spike

Spike Supernova

Actually, crafting recipes and menu options are completely unnecessary for the Devs to test out a game. They're not supposed to be done first, they could be completed at any time, with little or no consequences.

10. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

still, why they said it "should come out 2012" and it was (at this time) not even to 50%(i dont know the exact number now) finish? thats what i mean

11. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

i know, i was surprised when some features where still being worked on! but to be fair the devs said they would like a 2012 release and they couldn't, it was less of a "Delay" rather than a "Some stuff happened and our guess was wrong!" i can honestly say that some of the screenshots have only been mock ups. remember that ice planet we saw with the mammoth bones? they where nothing but mock ups they got someone to fix up. it was sort of frustrating when i heard that those fossils where more of a dream for a later a update, but now as i sit here and type to you i feel at ease knowing that, very possibly, the hardest part of coding is beyond us and the devs are moving to major item and game-play features like AI and Progression.

leonD likes this.
  12. CrimsonWingzz

CrimsonWingzz Pangalactic Porcupine

I find your arguments invalid. It takes time to make games, so you wanted the game in 2012 to be complete crap? Mate, get on my level.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  13. Haunt

Haunt Pangalactic Porcupine

Just consider it as them making the game better. Would you rather have a half-assed game earlier that remains half-assed for the next year, or a double-assed one?

WoxandWarf likes this.
  14. Sailie, Spike, WoxandWarf and 3 others like this.
  15. Beta_Nebula

Beta_Nebula Guest

The red text doesn't make you any less wrong. In fact, it just makes reading your incoherent post even more unbearable. Yes, things *should* be done, but the real world doesn't work that way. Stuff happens. In case you didn't realize this, people have these things called lives, and they can get complicated, and most of the time, they take precedence over some computer game. Quite frankly, preorders didn't open until last month, so I don't know why the 2012 thing is such a big deal. Until money is changing hands, nobody is owed anything. And people have told you a million times that things are not done in the order you think they shouldn't be done, so I don't know why you keep bringing up that point.

Sailie, WoxandWarf and fallingorbit like this.
  16. leonD

leonD Cosmic Narwhal

I agree with you. I dont got this, this stuff should be done already and now they tell us "its now all up to date"? srs? I mean if i create a game i should already know WHAT I build for a game and not when i work on it! I mean they made the menu days ago, still work on the pystic and co...i mean how whould look the game when it REALLY came out 2012??? Srs? I dont got this.....

17. UncleCoord

UncleCoord Big Damn Hero

As was mentioned in your previous thread by Tiy himself, they were forced to release the game earlier than they wanted, whatever caused this I don't know, perhaps investors? Who knows.

Perhaps at the time the devs were able to work full time on the game but fell on harder times? Its pretty common knowledge that some of 'em have to work multiple jobs just to be able to support themselves whilst making the game.

This thread is done, there really is nothing more of use to be said here that hasn't already been covered.

Zoolot likes this.
  18. joulesFect

joulesFect Subatomic Cosmonaut

Because the game scope increased ? Because they realised they could do so much more out of their core concept and that what they had was a pale shadow of the great game they wanted to do ? Because there WAS enough features and gameplay elements to justify a release date in the fist place ? Because, why is it so a big deal that they changed their mind ? Hell, I'm glad about it !

Games that release too early suck, just take a look at StarForge and come back to me

Zoolot likes this.
  19. Beta_Nebula

Beta_Nebula Guest

It's been explained to you several times. The menu could have been done at any time. It was just put off in favor of other things.

fallingorbit and WoxandWarf like this.
  20. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

Just look at The Warz, they tried to cash in on the popularity of DayZ and made a "similar" game in about a few months. A good game takes more than a few YEARS. Especially games that have tons of content. (For the record Warz sucks horribly)

Beta_Nebula likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.