1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why I won't be playing an Apex in multiplayer anymore.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Galactic Avatar, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiscordDave

DiscordDave Void-Bound Voyager

What I don't understand is all the people that have to post, about a thread they want to die. After all, that just bumps it and draws attention to it. If you don't like the content, why even read the thread, let alone post in it?

2. OobleckTheGreen

OobleckTheGreen Space Kumquat

With all due respect, the subject got raised because racist nonsense got brought TO the game and the OP is commenting on it. I think the topic, being in general chat and related to Starbound, is wholly appropriate. You don't want politics and debates on racism, that's fine. You vote with your fingers by simply not reading this thread. The OP thought it was important, and 6 pages of responders have kept it alive, so while it's not important to you, it IS important to other people.

garpu likes this.
  3. SloppyMayor

SloppyMayor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

And they hit me right on my heart. I cried in the pain of my hurt feelings for hours.

OobleckTheGreen likes this.
  4. Kriptini

Kriptini Zero Gravity Genie

It probably reminded him of times people had actually been racist towards him and that's what triggered the reaction. That's why he stresses that he wasn't mad at the people in the game.

5. Lexi84

Lexi84 Orbital Explorer

I find the idea of a race of monkey people to be smarter than pure race humans offensive.

6. Galactic Avatar

Galactic Avatar Cosmic Narwhal

The only acceptable reply to Jews in Space is to ask if Mel Brooks is finally getting around to making the next History of the World

But seriously. I'm sorry to hear that. You should have heard some of the stuff they said in Wow about Hebrews. I'm Muslim and I was offended!

Kriptini likes this.
  7. OgreCasteel

OgreCasteel Space Spelunker

Hey now, i feel its important to protect the right of people to say offensive things about completely fictional things... otherwise i will become offended to references to Thanksgiving while playing my Avian... what can i say, i am a breast man.

8. The Hired Muscle

The Hired Muscle Void-Bound Voyager

you obviously haven't gotten to the part of the game where you fight Admiral Abraham Shekelstein of Vrigon Six

9. SloppyMayor

But it's not about starbound, It's slightly related to starbound.

10. GravyonTurkey

GravyonTurkey Tentacle Wrangler

The great thing about this thread was that:

1. They didn't know he was black
    2. the mere mention of the word "monkey" hurt his "feelings"
    3. Is 37, and should know not to be affected by every little thing he hears ONLINE of all places
    4. Has the audacity to make a THREAD about it and publicly declaring that he no longer playing Apex

Seriously, what were you hoping to gain by making this thread?

JackOfAllTrades and SloppyMayor like this.
  11. Kriptini

Unless he refuses to fight you because it's the day of the Sabbath, it's probably still an inappropriate label.

12. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Don't let nonsense like this get to you. If you want to play an apex, roll one and go to another server.
    They are a great (if silly) sci-fi staple like green martians, don't let some idiots ruin your enjoyment of the game.

13. Kriptini

Plus, this thread is awesome.

14. The Hired Muscle

The Hired Muscle Void-Bound Voyager

I enjoy this thread because liberals amuse me

Crazy_Wrench and JackOfAllTrades like this.
  15. GSGregory

GSGregory Ketchup Robot

And? And? And? Get over it dude. It is the internet. If your skin isn't thicker than this do not play anything online or do anything social ever.

GravyonTurkey likes this.
  16. Oculemon

Oculemon Starship Captain

everyone knows that the internet is where you go to get mothered and patted on the head dude.

17. Convoy

Convoy Contact!

I really am truly sorry that you've had those kind of experiences and it's completely understandable to be upset, even if something isn't directed toward you. Where I live there's a lot of hidden racism and being a white male I can't even begin to comprehend how that feels, but it kills me inside to hear people constantly using slurs and be completely horrible human beings. I really applaud you for expressing your feelings on this matter and giving such a unique insight about how even words can affect someone so deeply. I wish I could give you hug for this, bro.

So many feels.

garpu likes this.
  18. Xiang Jiao

Xiang Jiao Space Hobo

Did you just awake from a 20-year long coma and start using the internet recently? There is an unwritten rule of online gaming which secretly states that it is every gamer's inalienable right to insult other players. Cracking monkey jokes is pretty tame in the overall scheme of internet flaming.

19. Arehexes

Arehexes Subatomic Cosmonaut

So is it ok for me to hate all cops because one pulled me over while I was on my bike on my own street in front of my own house no less. Again it just sounds like he is over re-acted over his avatar.

JackOfAllTrades likes this.
  20. SloppyMayor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.