1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do you stake a claim?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Kirumaru, Feb 2, 2016.

1. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Well, the monsters spawn and wander around when off-camera, so they very easily can wander in if you've not gone far enough.

So if you want to try and stop monster spawning near your tenants, you need to make a high-ish background wall (say 8~10 tiles) attached to every bit of stand-on-able ground available. Including roofs. And preferably for a decent range away from the home. And you can't leave any gaps, because the spawn engine'll jump on that. You can then take it down and monsters shouldn't spawn there. I recommend using a very easy material to pick up, like snow or fine sand, something you won't mistake for what you want to leave intact.

However, I think the spawning coding might've gotten a bit fudged in one of the updates.

Ralij likes this.
  2. Ralij

Ralij Big Damn Hero

I really appreciate the explanation, I hadn't really known how the spawning mechanics worked in this game. I think I'll make walls to surround my towns, I mean that kinda makes sense for a colony out in the wilds right? Nice big castle and architecture behind everything. Thanks again!

3. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

For safety, make sure you've got background blocks behind the foreground floor blocks. I know it seems redundant, but it might make a difference.

Ralij likes this.
  4. Kirumaru

Kirumaru Pangalactic Porcupine

Perfect! Just what we've been looking for! I hope the temperatures are upwards of 350K!

5. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

As Orwellian as that sounds, NPC behavior in video games requires something akin to that. I build a big wall around my Minecraft villages.

6. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

oh...
    my volcano colony with 1000 pixel tax (mwahahah)
    have at least 50*C where i can cook max. a sausage :(

Kirumaru likes this.
  7. sylfeden

sylfeden Void-Bound Voyager

I make colonies in all "brackets", so I get gear from the vendors from that bracket. Barren planets is fairly low lvl, dead planets with decent weather however... nice rent and nice armor sets. I think this game is a warning I could be hoarder irl, and maybe my salvation from that fate as well. I offcourse want all the armor sets from all the races.

Kirumaru likes this.
  8. Kirumaru

Kirumaru Pangalactic Porcupine

I know the feeling, sir.

9. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I actually have a stash of storage lockers underground on my first airless planet. They hold my costume pieces I don't use, armor from all races, and full stacks of blocks I mined. I am a hoarder on this game.

Leif get lotsss of gravel from cave. Leif need gravel? Eh, keep anyway.

Kirumaru likes this.
  10. BPStuart

BPStuart Phantasmal Quasar

I find Barren or dead planets and Build bases, labs, castles or the like, then planet trees and crops. I also build colonies into mountains for when i want a place to get a few pixels without really working for it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  11. baconsama25

baconsama25 Cosmic Narwhal

I usually tend on attaching buildings to already existing villages of the race I'm playing ( or if I'm a floran rebiulding things from a village of smelly apes ). But on the main character I almost always build on Tundra planets.

Lush planets are great due to having rain for crops and having easy to beat monsters, not to mention that many spend a lot of time on the first planet ( thus getting attached ), the downside is that the planet rank offers make tenants offer little reward.

However if you plan on making a colony from scratch, asteroids field "planets" or barren worlds are the best.

Kirumaru likes this.