1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

WHEN I OPENED A THREAD ABOUT OPENGL 2.0!!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DogacKRKS, Mar 8, 2017.

1. DogacKRKS

DogacKRKS Aquatic Astronaut

First of all i have to say i wish you burn in an amd card
    secondly removing support of directx will make you lose gamers.we were 11 people with normal computers but 4-5 of us had low end pcs that doesn't support opengl 2.0. They spent their whole week to configurate this problem while you are celebrating 1.0(!). THE GAME IS A PIXEL GAME EVERYONE IS GETTING IT BECAUSE ITS NOT THAT HEAVY!

Fix this. This one comes from an old starbound player.

I TOLD THAT TO YOU IN 2014!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2017
  2. Flannel

Flannel Subatomic Cosmonaut

Older computers are more prone to error and more prone to breakage, wear and tear, etc. It's honestly better to try and upgrade. Hell, even Google isn't supporting older models anymore. Computers that were built with Vista in mind are completely unsupported by even Google now, while 7 is likely going to join it soon, if it hasn't already.

And honestly, OpenGL2.0 isn't that hard to handle, if you have a more modern computer (built around when 8 was new, either just before or just after) then there shouldn't be an issue on that end. It's likely your computer has wear-and-tear at that point that causes it to be lower-end than it already is. The first thing you should always do is make sure that your computer operates at the minimum necessary to even function decently. If your computer is slow with its internet connectivity, or if you can't play videos on youtube that well, then your answer is simple and easy - Upgrade.

Also know that upgrading OS may or may not - most likely not - increase your compatibility with better systems, it all depends if your computer can handle a newer OS... Most computers, even ones built for 10, don't work well with Windows 10, and Vista computers don't operate well with 8.1 or even 8.0.

All in all - the decision falls on you to get a better computer, not on the company that more-than-likely had good, solid reasons for adding new systems behind their game. After all, what use is a game if its systems are bad or outdated to the point it plays like flushing a Ukulele down a toilet?

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

OpenGL 2.0 was released in 2004. If your computer doesnt support that, then the issue is obvious. Your systems are old, and expecting a game developer to support older hardware is foolish. That only HURTS their game because they would literally have to sacrifice content that relies on it, just to accommodate you.

This is fundimentally incorrect. The fact that this game only has an OpenGL 2.0 requirement shows that its graphics are not really heavy, but it says nothing for the internals of the game. Pixel graphcs are not heavy on the GPU, but everything else IS heavy on the CPU.

Also coming from an old starbound player. Get a new computer. It doesnt even have to be anything expensive.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315422

If you cant afford a new computer, well, that is honestly a personal problem. A game developer doesnt have to, nor shouldn't be expected to, support you just because you can't or won't keep up with the times.

Yes, making their game as widely supported as possible does increase their market saturation, which is great, but if that comes at the cost of having to skip over features and improvements, then that is really a bad path to take.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  4. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

...huh. I actually just got that model laptop about a month-ish ago (Newegg had 'em on sale down to $400ish and I was feeling I needed a lappy), and I can confirm it runs Starbound just fine. (That was one of the first things I did with it... load up Steam and load up Starbound.)

But yeah. As someone who is generally slow to upgrade... there does come a point when the onus is on you, not the game-maker. At some point they have to abandon outdated systems. And Starbound has a TON more going on inside it than pixel art.

5. Flannel

Flannel Subatomic Cosmonaut

The only time pixel graphics come into effect as being an issue is when high-particle objects/entities/etc come in to play. It'd be different if the lag was coming from standing in a room of spikes with 10 people, 5 casting portal spells while the other 5 cast their secondaries. The inner mechanics are on the heavier side to make the game look GOOD for a pixel-based game.

Various aspects of the game can lag the hell out of it, even just its instrument system. If you play multiple instruments at once, it makes it lag more. If you play a song and it has a portion with a high note count, the game lags. Some ABCs (such as Bad Apple!!) can cause the game to freeze or even completely crash due to the high note count. Raw pixels don't cause lag. Particle clusters and inner systems do.

tldr; pixels =/= easy runner. pixels = pixels.

EDIT: And in case anyone asks - YES it is possible to play multiple instruments at once. Here's a few recordings I made as proof:

LUVORATORRRRRY!
    Bonetrousle
    Fukiretta
    UN Owen Was Her?
    A literal hodgepodge mixer of various songs that showcase multiple instruments at once

You can literally play up to 6 instruments at once in Starbound, though your hands and wrists will detest you for it.

lazarus78 likes this.
  6. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

dat lighting system tho

7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Yeah, the instruments are processed directly in the game, not just playing some audio file, so it is easy to understand why a lot of instruments would cause issues.

Flannel likes this.