1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What's YOUR playstyle? Share with us!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Seria-Myouna, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Guppy The Cat

Guppy The Cat Heliosphere

1. What race are you going to play, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    I'm going to play as all races. They all seem interesting and just for aesthetic purposes along with the race exclusive items.
    2. What are your plans for your first character? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    I'm going to build, explore, and kill monsters a lot. But I will build the most, because why not?
    3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter? If you're a builder, what do your houses/bases generally look like?
    My houses/bases will look good on the game, that is what I'm aiming for. Treasure hunting is possible if it gives good loot, and yes, mining gets boring, but I do need to mine to get materials
    4. Are you going to play with other people? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    I'm going to play with friends. Maybe the ones that are on the clans I'm part of, or for sure, the guys on the Homestuck thread.
    5. How many hours do you think you're going to play?
    Don't get me started on this one. I may stay up the entire night just playing

6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Will you fight every enemy you come across?
    I will fight enemies that attack me, namely, the aggresive ones. I won't hurt or slay at all passive or neutral monsters. I prefer melee in case I get to fight.

2. captain derps

captain derps Starship Captain

1:
    Either Novakid, Human, or Floran
    2:
    Dash in and kill everything.
    3:
    Get all the loots! And if I can't find them, buy them with money from selling the pelts of my enemies!
    4:
    I will most likely be playing with my friend on his server like I did for terraria, but we're thinking of making it public for SB
    5:
    Let this be my answer
    [​IMG]
    6:
    range with large AoE so I can blow up EVERYTHING

and also energy chainsaws. :rainbow:

HedgeFlanders likes this.
  3. Nanohurtz

Nanohurtz Space Spelunker

1. What race are you going to play, and why? Do any of the races just not appeal to you at all?
    Human for now, just to get things started. None of the other races really capture my attention.

2. What are your plans for your first character? Rush through to the highest danger levels? Be a peaceful farmer?
    I am a casual gamer and am in no rush to get anywhere fast nor take down huge bosses for bragging rights. I am taking a purely exploratory path to socialize and build a personal community of like minded people.
    3. What do you like to do in the game? Is mining something that never gets boring to you? Are you a treasure hunter? If you're a builder, what do your houses/bases generally look like?
    Mining and building, it's what attracted me to this project in the first place.
    4. Are you going to play with other people? If so, with friends or on a big/small public server?
    Absolutely. A very small setting for now. I've hosted largescale mmo's and personally the more people you throw into the mix the more the personalities and potential clashing. I prefer a small server setting with people who move at a snails pace like me :)

Depends.. really well put together sand-box games get about 2 to 3 hours a day from me. I can't provide concrete numbers until the game is actually released. Opening day will get a full day from me to break it in.
    6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Will you fight every enemy you come across?
    Mage, or caster class. A medic class appeals to my very nature, helping people when they are down.

4. TheRedLeo

TheRedLeo Aquatic Astronaut

1)I'll play with the Glitch because I love robots and I find them absolutely amazing. I dislike the Apex because when I look at a monkey I see a playful fun creature but the Apex look like they wanna rip your heart out.
    2)My plans for my char is to take it easy at my own pace but to monitor myself at the same time. In other words I don't want to spend too much time on one thing even though there seems to be so much to do in Starbound.
    3)I like to consider myself to be balanced between everything. Basically I like to try everything out and whatever suits me well whether it be a bunch of things or a single thing I do that/those particular things and let others do the other things that I'm not good at xD.
    4)I would like to play with other people and it doesn't really matter to me whether it's with friends or the public. If it happened to be public I would choose a big server because there is a greater chance to find people similar to my playing habits on a big server.
    5)I think I'll probably play 4 hours a day but overall before I officially stop playing the game I'll predict that I will play about 250 hours. It may seem a like a little bit but I tend to get bored of games overall (not just a particular game) sometimes and stop playing them for a little bit (a week).

5. Dahoga

Dahoga Phantasmal Quasar

1. I'll probably try out all the races and have characters for every one of them, but I will probably start off with a Novakid/Floran. I really enjoy the backstory for the Florans, some being very violent and cannibalistic and some being peaceful, as well as the Floran's green-architecture. I really love the Novakids because they fit my law-maker style with a crisp cowboy theme.
    On the other hand, I am not really fond of Apex. It is a cool idea, but it seems like a stale one.

2. My plans for my first character is pretty simple: explore and build. I want to learn as much as possible about the game, collect rare items, get into sticky situations, and decide on possible colony building-sites. Every planet/moon/asteroid will be considered; I just hope you can make a base with airlock systems in an airless environment!

3. I am an explorer and a treasure hunter. I live to search the galaxy for the rarest items I can find, so I can show them off in a standoff! Mining never really gets boring for me; it can unveil all sorts of treasures.

4. I would definitely play on a server with others. I'd like to see how diplomacy goes! Inter-stellar wars, massive colonies and cities to trade in, etc.

5. I've played Terraria 1000+ hours and Minecraft 2000+ hours. I'll guesstimate around 1500+ hours before I take an extended break.

6. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Apex Novakid Human Avian Hylotl Glitch Floran In order....
    Probrably start with farming and building, then go towards adventuring more often.
    Definitely a builder, I like making structures that are very functional and are very good in defense while looking fancy. :proper:
    Definitely be playing with friends, some singleplayer, and when I do play multi I will play on a smaller server.
    I have to count in hours why not months/years?
    6. What combat style do you prefer? Melee, Ranged, etc. Will you fight every enemy you come across? I am a very mixed fighter I usually use ranged then switch to a sword/knife, but nothing drastic like a rocket launcher, more like long ranged.

7. Insanitor

Insanitor Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, my first char will be a Glitch, but i will eventually play all races. They all seem cool :)
    Well, first i wanna find a nice peaceful planet, most likely one with small isles. There i will set up my base of operation, which will be a house with a clocktower with flowery fields and trees around it... and with a long shaft leading down to my actual underground facility, near the core of the planet. Then take it from there :)
    I love building, massive things, huge bases, houses or general structures. But i also have a weakness for Loot and better Equipment, so i will ofcouse end up going hunting for treasures when my base is ready.
    I'm likely going to play by myself in the beginning, to get familiar with the game in my own pace, and later i got plans to play with a friend of mine i use to play Terraria with :)
    5. How many hours do you think you're going to play?As many as i can :p
    Melee, i prefer getting in direct with my enemies. And yes i will fight every enemy i encounter, but only in self defense, i'm not the one to start a conflict... Well, unless i find some good reason to do so ^^

8. FireheadFTW

FireheadFTW Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Humans, of course. Gotta represent. I do like the Florans though, plant people are really interesting to me.
    I plan to simply find a way to live a good, stable life.
    I always love a bit of everything, although I'm much more of an explorer than anything.
    I'll play on a big server, making friends in this sounds like it's gonna be fun.
    Infinity.
    Swords are great, I love 'em. I'll slash down anything that comes my way.

9. Gredd18

Gredd18 Giant Laser Beams

Human/Avian. The Apex Are ugly.
    Kill Stuff.
    Holding off a endless wave of opponents with guns.
    Probably play with my clan
    Depends.
    I'll post my war-cry:
    COME AT ME B****S, I'M GODDAMN IMMORTAL.
    So, TLDR; I'm going to kill stuff. Don't matter how, what, when, or who.

10. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

1- Hylotl!
    2- I don't know.. I think i'll be some sort of beast tamer.
    3- Well, taming beasts! :DD
    4- Obviously. With my clan.
    5- A lot.
    6- Ranged and melee, i guess. But usually melee.

11. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Novakid, with Glitch as a close second. I like the idea of playing something other than organic life. I'm not fond of humans - I'm a human in real-life, I want to explore something I'm not familiar with.
    First, establish a comfortable, well-supplied home on a lucrative world. Then explore.
    I'm an explorer and a crafter. My first two questions about any new world are "what cool stuff is there to see and collect here" followed by immediately by, "what can I make out of this stuff?" My homes tend towards the geometric and functional... except where discos are concerned. To me, a home without a disco is a travesty against nature, and a swanky disco is a sign of a cultured and well-adjusted individual.
    I'm absolutely going to play with friends. While this community's great, griefers and 'tards of various kinds do exist, and I don't have a lot of patience for them.
    Impossible to say until I've had a chance to play the game. I still play Minecraft and Terraria though, so chances are Starbound's going to see a nice long lifespan in my library.
    I usually only kill stuff in self-defense, or when I'm hunting materials. I do enjoy the thrill of hunting 'big game' though, and by that, I usually mean bosses. I don't have much a preference for melee or ranged. Typically, I use whichever has the deepest, most visceral, and most satisfying combat system, or whatever fits the 'theme' I have for my character.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  12. XII

XII Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. I've mostly settled on Avian as my first character. I intend to regularly play Starbound with three friends (above poster, Nerva, included), and we hope to all choose a different race to play. They seem to have settled on Novakid, Floran and Glitch. If one of them changes their mind and goes Avian, I still have Hylotl as a back-up. It's not that I'm opposed to playing Human or Apex--believe me, if given the option, I intend to create multiple characters--but Human is an option I have at my disposal in nearly every game I play. With many sci-fi games, you tend to see a pattern with the races available, but in each instance, there are a wide array of unique concepts. Whereas the fantasy genre has mostly stagnated into humans, elves, dwarves and other common tropes, I don't think that sci-fi has reached that point. The species you see in Starbound are different from what you see in, say, Mass Effect. I want to have the chance to experience the races that are unique to Starbound, because I know I'll never get to experience them in any other series.

2. With all of the possibilities that Starbound presents, I think I'll try to take in a little bit of everything. I don't mind pitting myself against treacherous caverns and creatures that are noticeably larger than myself, but if agriculture proves useful to my progression, I'll pick up on it.

3. I can't compare Starbound directly to Minecraft and Terraria, due to several differences, but the two concepts that drove me in the aforementioned games will likely define me in Starbound: Exploration and Collection. I like to explore new places, and learn about how they differ from my previous adventures. On top of that, I enjoy hoarding everything from worthless trinkets to valuable treasures. Even if these "collectibles" can't be displayed to others, they often stand as a reminder of the places I've been, and how far I've come since I started.

4. Yes. As previously mentioned, I intend to play with a small group of friends. I don't know how server structure will work yet, but having them visit my homeworld, vice versa, and the whole lot of us departing on an adventure that'll consume an indeterminate amount of time sounds like a lot of fun. Yes, I'll have a few days to wander the galaxy on my own, but having a crew of four is a charming prospect; more so when all four of us are playing a different race.

5. Impossible to say. I've made a pre-order investment, and I've been reading the daily progress updates, so I have the initiative to play Starbound long enough to see what it's made of. That said, I hope to plug hundreds of hours into Starbound as so few of the best sandboxes have done before it, but the future is an uncertainty. On that note, let's just say "lots" and hope for the best.

6. I can't say that I have a preference, though I tend to lean toward ranged combat in side-scrolling games. I'll experiment with as many weapons I can, and build a preference over the course of my time in Starbound. I have a (bad) tendency to try and kill anything that moves, which I hope to break away from in Starbound. Still, if something poses a threat, I'll do what I can to dispose of it.

Seria-Myouna and Nerva like this.
  13. janovick

janovick Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'll go Apex first. Second race could be avians. I really like Apex because of the society-type of concept. Avians seem to have quite an organized society history too, and I like their sort of wild way of survival.

The races I dislike most are probably Hylotl, Novakids and Glitch. Hylotl because of the name... rotfl. Novakids sound too cocky for me. Glitch just are kinda meh...

I'll surely make some important bases in some points of the universe with huge farms; I'll carve large tunnels thru the ground, across the entire astro, etc. However, be sure that as soon as I can, I'll stack up on explosive weapons and a bunch of fancy swords and go on a killing spree.

Mining, terraforming, building will be some of my favorite aspects of the game. I'll have huge metal structured bases, with high-tech stuff like computers, a bunch of screens, etc, and tall glassy sky scrappers. Plus, underground bunkers, safehouses, towers that give me a better shooting angle, etc.

Sure. Public server, if there is one.

My time is a bit short. Idk.

I really like using heavy, blunt type of weapons like huge hammers; and explosives, explosives everywhere!!!

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  14. lunarembrace

lunarembrace Void-Bound Voyager

Floran, I enjoy their lore and appearance.
    Start out with some research and development, then find an NPC village. I will then herd the meat relocate the NPCs into a cooled chamber for safekeeping as I repossess anything of value from the village. The rest of the village will be disassembled and re-purposed into something of more value, probably a kitty statue.
    I'll do a bit of everything. Landscaping, meat slicing and packaging, bonecrafting, baking, and more.
    I suppose i will have to hunt down meet up with the other survivors someday.
    One cannot possibly conquer a universe in mere hours. Not to say i wont be trying of course.
    Axes for large creatures, hammers for small ones, and a handy grenade launcher when i feel i want my meat more bite sized.

15. Bananeninja

Bananeninja Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. i will play human because i'm not original , novakid i don't know why and glitch because i like robots
    2. i will explore a lot of planet
    3. i will be a treasure hunter
    4. i will play with my friend and on small server
    5. i think i will play 200-300 hours
    6. i like the 2 handle sword, the assault rifle , the smg , the tomahawk , the bazooka ( for the horde of ennemies and big ennemies ) , the explosive ( hi michael bay ;)) and the BIG BADASS AXE

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  16. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

I'm going to play with the Novakid at first. Though I'll probably roll a character of each race. The Novakid just looks fun and energetic. I like the wild-west theme.
    The Apex and Floran interest me the least. Can't put my finger on the reason... They just do.

Probably explore a lot, but try to advance at a steady pace. I dislike rushing or powerleveling.
    I will spend a lot of time trying out the different mechanics, like playing with liquids, physics and farming.

My bases are functional over nice to look at. I usually start with building farms and a warehouse, only then I build pretty things. In general I'd call myself an explorer, not really a treasure hunter. In games like Oblivion i'd run around a lot but not enter caves so much.

Yes. Though I don't have many IRL friends who still play games (most have families), I'll join a server.

No idea. I'm self employed so there will be times I can play a lot, and weeks where I won't be able to play 5 minutes.

I prefer sniping/ranged. Melee can be fun too, but I'm a Ranger at heart.
    Fighting each enemy will depend on the usefulness of their 'drops'. If enemies drop resources that can be used to fabricate new stuff, i'll kill a bunch.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  17. _A_n_d_z_A_

_A_n_d_z_A_ Space Penguin Leader

1. I cant decide between Novakids and Avians, maybe Human too.But that doest really matter because I'm going to try all races anyway.
    2. At the start I will be peacefu until I get better gear, then I will go exploring and treasure finding.
    3. A bit of everything, mine, explore, farm, build etc. My houses are very basic, not much fancyness.
    4. Since I dont have (literally)ANY friends who play games, I will play alone. Maybe I will check out some multplayer servers, but I dont think I'm going to play regularly on them.
    5. I'm gona play a lot, like 5-10+ hours a day.
    6. I prefer ranged, but I will use melee too.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  18. Arkoonius

Arkoonius Subatomic Cosmonaut

Race?
    Glitch or Novakid. No real reason -- just seems like the most interesting to play to me.

Plans?
    Kill ALL the things!

What I like to do?
    Explore. I'm not much of a builder -- just like to make things dead and see what I can find in the depths of the ground. Which, I'll probably mine a bit whilst exploring.

Multiplayer?
    All of my friends including myself have pre-ordered the game. When the beta is out, we'll be playing via a private server for sure.

How long do you think you'll be playing?
    Erm... A long time?

Combat Style? Are you going to kill everything in sight?
    I prefer magic actually, although Starbound doesn't have magic. So, perhaps I'll be the "Heavy Weapons Guy" from Team Fortress 2 (except in Starbound) and shoot whatever I see with the biggest gun I can get my hands on.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  19. yvolcarn

yvolcarn Space Penguin Leader

[​IMG]Hylotl
    I have a fondness for aquatic, reptilian, or amphibious races. Plus the asian themed clothes are pretty cool.
    I like to take it slow, make sure I'm prepared for what's coming and stockpile resources. I'm definitely not peaceful though, much butchering of everything I see will ensue.
    Exploration is my favorite thing to do. Finding new stuff to fight and new materials to make stuff never gets boring. I'm not the most creative person, my structures tend to be as efficient as I can make them. When I do make more extravagant structures, they tend to just be larger. Like my tree that's I'm building from the bottom of hell to space in Terraria at the moment.
    By myself.
    It depends on a lot of factors, but probably 4 hr/day average.

I like to mix it up. Charging in face-first is the staple of my combat style, but ranged combat has its uses.

Seria-Myouna likes this.
  20. RinValak

RinValak Master Chief

-Human or Apex. Love the monkeys in military suits. Human for the immersion factor. Avian doesn't appeal to me due to the lack of wings. Floran thematically doesn't interest me much in a space-setting. Novakid are really cool and I'll prolly try one of them at some point.
    -Probably focus on advancing. Getting the best tech, best armor, etc. Then explore and build outposts.
    -I'll check out all the gameplay, honestly. I do love the idea of making safe outposts on dangerous planets.
    -Friends in a small private server, most likely.
    -Hopefully hundreds of hours.
    -I like to try a bit of everything, get a feel for the weapons, pick a favorite. And yes most likely.

cheers all!

Seria-Myouna likes this.