1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats your characters backstory?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Master Automan IV, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Master Automan IV

Master Automan IV Phantasmal Quasar

I was bored, so I decided "hey wouldn't it be cool to see the backstorys of the community's characters."

10 mins, 1 English muffin, and 3 eggs later this thread is born.

(Edit: you can also have descriptions for your characters personality and such.)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. Roubo

Roubo Big Damn Hero

My glich girl was constructed in a distant Glitch settlement. She was a daughter of a regular craftsmen. That was a peaceful settlement with a rich and fully functioning distributed AI. Everyone was proud of being a part of that society and was doing it's best to make it richer and greater. As time was passing, the settlement was grown into a big kingdom. So big and prospering that other species starting to notice that. Some of them visit the planet regularly for researching glich society, other ones came for trading. At first it seemed that AI has adapted to this and both trading and visits ran well. But it wasn't. Such uncommon and different species were so difficult to understand, that the great AI was very busy processing their "emotions" and "feelings" and it didn't notice this corruption growing within it's own. The glitches started to emulate this things at first, so did my girl too, but then they began to trying to understand these feelings. The whole society has began to change very quickly. Such rapidly growing corruption was noticed by the AI, but it was too late... Glich people had become different. They couldn't just change back anymore. And even started to thinking of running away from the great AI, to live by itself. Without having instructions and the great AI always looking for you, always trying to lead you, when you're confuse. What a nonsense!
    Anyway, AI "thought" of creating new directive GD349 - Rouges. According to it, everyone trying emulate or understand different culture assumed to be a rouge. And these rouges were needed to be deconstructed. The feelings were now assumed as virus and gliches infected with it had no choice but running away from the AI. The day directive came into action more than 500 gliches were captured and deconstructed. Others, afraid of repeating the action, ran from the kingdom. The other species were treat as a virus spreaders and were treated with great carefulness and sometimes fear and anger.
    As for my girl - her father was afraid of her being captured. He spent his earnings for buying some creepy ship and send my girl to the open space. While she was charging, he had erased her memories about coordinates of the kingdom and left her to deep space, praying to AI for her.

My girl was awake in a strange ship at some Forest planet. She realized everything quickly and found both ship and her memory corrupted. So her story begins - rebuilding the ship and looking for the Kingdom. To search for her dad. To the distant planets through the all kind of species, wondering how her dad is there... somewhere...

P.S.: pardon my English, please ^^"

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  3. jakecool19

jakecool19 Pangalactic Porcupine

My Floran "boy" was grown to the Bellflower cocoon-kin on the Floran homeworld FL1-4. As a sapling he never fit in with the rest of the Floran. They all called him weird and hissed because he had pity. Pity such an alien quality to Florans. He was also rather intelligent for a Floran and, despite the reading ban by Greenfinger, he taught himself to read with the help of of Glitch outcasts nearby in hiding. He knew he would have to escape the planet soon. The time for his trials where soon approching and, refusing could mean a visit from the Cannibals or worse a trip to the Dust. He went away at night to explore the wreck of the first Avian ship to visit the planet, in order to make his own from scraps of other crashed ships. It took many rotations but, he finally reversed engineered a seemingly working ship. With only a few rotations left before his trials he climbed into ship the engines stuttering to a start. Just then the Green guard appear all around the ship out of nowhere. There ferozium boots shook the ground and, sounded like a thunderstorm. He jumped into the captin's seat and took off the surface as the Greenguard's spears began to scratch the glass. He took one final look at the dense forests of his home and said goodbye as he left the atmosphere. When he activated the FTL drive something went wrong and the ship jerked forward, knocking him out and, in orbit of a mysterious planet. Waking up he went down to the planet to get materials to fix the ship. As he does that he realizes that he has a wonderful, new future ahead of him. "Maybe I might be a scientist or a diplomat" he thought. "I'm bound to no one except the stars now."

(Sorry its so long)

4. OneLessLonelyGlitch

OneLessLonelyGlitch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My main Starbound character is Dometank. He grew up in a large desert colony of glitch people. There where rumors that the glitch of this colony where being tested on. It turns out that the miniknog gathered and kidnapped groups of glitch to do research on. The glitch had to adapt to a desert environment, and were de-programmed and lost the ability to withstand cold, heat, airless planets, and radioactivity. The glitch would have to live on a strict diet and were practically trained puppets. Every facet of their lives where thought out, and every problem fixed. Dometank grew tired of that life and wanted to escape. After finding the logs of an odd ape, Dometank and his sister Casetank, escape to a glitch military class cruiser, and try to get away. As Dometank is starting the FTL drive, Casetank is taken by 2 ape guards. the ships doors close and Dometank is sent to a far away planet with the last drop of fuel... After Dometank made it far in his adventures, upgrading his ship in full, helping the outpost in full, he has decided to give up hope of his sister being alive. He believes she was "deactivated" (killed) by the apes, and now wants to settle down and build a kingdom for all of glitch kind!

5. Master Automan IV

Don't worry about the length.
    Its important to describe the details.

6. Streema

Streema Phantasmal Quasar

My Main-Character, named Challin and member of the Avian race, was born and raised on Avos as a Stargazer. He followed Kluex because his parents tought him so and never questioned Kluex ways. He lived peacefully with his parents on Avos, before he was stationated on a distant planet in one of Kluex's temples. He started to question the stargazers ways, when he saw, that his fellow stargazers lured other species into the temples to sacrifice them for their god. Months passed and some day, he took a ship of the stargazers and flew from the planet. After a couple of weeks his fuel went empty, while he was in the orbit of an icy planet called Tau Asperia. He decided to take an apartment on the icy planet and stayed there for a couple years, until he joined a group of Avian scientists who experimented on the Avian Powercrystals to make them more useful as they are now. Years have passed and it was Challins best time in his life. He woke up with new ideas, talked with the other scientists about his ideas at breakfast, started experiments and got to bed early in the evening. But one day, something bad happened. One of the power crystal exploded during an experiment and unleashed its energy, destroying the research facility. Challin and a few of his friends nearly escaped death and Challin returned to his apartment, only to find out, that the stargazers found him, the traitor. Narrowly escaping the wrath of the stargazers again, he turned to a colony of the grounded on the forest planet Phenos, where he lives now. His friends from Tau Asperia are now part of his starship crew and are living with him on Phenos. Now, constantly waiting for the stargazers to attack again, he lives on Phenos in peace with other avians, sharing the same fate of being chased by the stargazers...

Well, this is the Story of Challin, the grounded :D

7. Justincase

Justincase Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ever since I was a was a child I was trained in the ancient forbidden art of combat. My father was once part of a secret military group of Hylotl assassins whose purpose was to defend our home planet. This group was forced to worked in the shadows although it was long since officially disbanded by stricter peace laws. I was away on a mission the day the florans attacked. When i returned my family and comrades were brutally murdered. Forced to leave, I stole the nearest ship and barely avoided capture. Although separated by my comrades my mission is the same. Eliminate the Floran menace and protect Hylotls Everywhere.

Master Automan IV likes this.
  8. Justincase

Justincase Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am Grim Takeshi

9. jakecool19

What about the good Florans like me?

Chipa likes this.
  10. Master Automan IV

I would suggest that you prove your innocence to this deadly Hylotl.

Cause, Grim Takeshi is back......with a vengeance.

Roubo likes this.
  11. Master Automan IV

Strix Goldfeather. (1 out of 4 characters in game.)

Race: avian

Strix is part of the avian Goldfeather family line, ironically, his line was once poor.
    The Goldfeather line made a name for themselves on avos for stealing, food, gold, and even ancient avian artifacts. The Goldfeather line had become corrupted with greed, and was outcasted to the unknown depths of the universe.
    The Goldfeathers saw this as opportunity to become what they were not, rich.

Generations later, Strix is born in a planet called cuvis, and is raised to become a merchant. As Strix grew, he proved his worth to the family by selling avian products to the inhabitants of cuvis. He made some friends on cuvis, avian and non-avian alike. Beyond his lust for gold and pixels, was the desire to learn. At a young age he met a human named Brenden. Brenden was rather intelligent for a child. He and Strix had a good friendship, even if they would get into fights. Brenden's intelligence seemed to have rubbed of on Strix. He and brenden eventually became one of the planets most intelligent individuals. Strix though bested by Brenden in intelligence. Strix became greedy like his family and started to steal. Over the course of his time on cuvis, he became a master theif. Brenden and many others soon left cuvis to explore the galaxy. Strix's ultimate goal was to learn about the universe that surrounded him, and to become the richest avian in the universe.

My first time with this, sooo there may be some mistakes.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  12. Starfeather

Starfeather Phantasmal Quasar

Starfeather was an Avian born on the pirate airship. He learned how to fight and survive living his life on the run, as Stargazers always chased down the likes of them. He had two friends: Harpy - talented engineer, and Rayclaw - adventurous explorer. Young trio was always together, especially when it came to causing trouble. Yet, they learned quick and were great as a team, so rest of the crew valued them and their abilities. They fought, looted and lived their dreams.
    One time, however, everything went wrong. One of the pirates was bribed to spy on the crew. Gang always depended on the attack and run strategy. This time they flew straight into Stargazers' trap. Starfeather and his friends tried to fight, but to no avail. Not a single pirate fled that day. Chained together they marched toward a prison as their ship burned.
    Their fate was clear - bottom of the tower. When day of the execution came, pirates were standing together at the top to jump one by one, crowd of citizens looking. Jump they did. Rest of the crew could only look away and wait for their own turn. Starfeather stared at his friends sadly. Harpy looked terrified and shifted his arms wrirdly, eyes wide. And than his chain snapped, but he held it as if he still was bound. He quickly gave Starfeather something. A little makeshift laser! How did he make it? No time to ask. Starfeather cut his own chain and passed the tool to Rayclaw. It was almost their turn. As Harpy's name was read, Rayclaw freed himself as well and mouthed one word - scatter.
    Trio rolled into different directions, knocking surprised guards down and grabbing their weapons. They run franticly down the tower, than into a street, shooting towards anyone trying to stop them. They got to the docking station for ships, but guards were chasing after them. There was one problem - they needed someone to open the gate of the hangar. Starfeather told them to go into a ship and let him do it, but he had to yell for them to leave him. As their ship got ready and gate opened, Stargazers run into a hangar. Harpy and Rayclaw knew that their friend won't make it, so they fled, helpless. But Starfeather had a trick up his sleeve. From the control panel that opened the gate he manually started another ship. He run into it, closed the hatch and started the engines at the last second. Heavy fire from the guards damaged his ship before he could fly away, but he made it somehow.
    Out of fuel and with broken ship he was stranded on some distant planet. The situation finally sunk in - he was alone, almost all of the people he knew were dead and he was chased
    by the ruthless Stargazers. He had a breakdown, but after a few minutes he got himself together and checked the database of hi ship. The second two other ships were registered as a fleet! He could try to contact his friends! Or, if he'll call the wrong ship, give away his position to the Stargazers...
    Starfeather tried anyway, as he had nothing to loose. And after few minutes of repeating "Harpy, Ray? Can you hear me?" into the static, he finally heard faint "Star? Are you there?". With tears of joy they sent their locations to each other. Good thing was that they had contact now, but they flew in almost opposite directions and were hundereds of systems away from each other.
    So the quest to reunite and find a new home together begins.

Wow, that was long :speechless:

13. Chipa

Chipa Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My main character is a Floran by the name of Lilith Chuparosa. She came from a tropical planet in an eccentric star system. Ever since she was a seedling her parents have actually traveled and would take her with them most of the time. They would transport things like metals, food or even monsters to and from one planet to another for a living and Lilith's favorite places to visit where deserts hence the name Chuparosa. After her parents retired she had always reminisced about space travel again and again even though it wasn't too popular among her fellow cocoon-kin. When ever she would bring it up the others would either be skeptic or hiss at her. One day she found he parent's old Floran ship after they both passed away of old age and after making a few repairs took off into the stars in search of a new life with her pet snake, Mango. She mostly builds homes on planets she likes or for homeless merchants she meets and has even taken part in the culinary arts..y'know when she's not needed to do tasks at the outpost all the time by that weird guy who asks for diamonds. :nuruhappy:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    Master Automan IV and jakecool19 like this.
  14. Chipa

Chipa Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Floran Lilith like meet other Floran friendsssss

jakecool19 likes this.
  15. jakecool19

Floran is pleasssed to meet other Floran.
    Floran isssss ok with frogmen. Floran isssss even getting frogman merchant at top of Floran marketplace (away from everyone of courssse.)

16. Amethystumn

Amethystumn Pangalactic Porcupine

My female Floran, Bari Willowheart's story;

Bari Willowheart was born on a tough desert planet. She has a sister and a brother. As a child, Bari was very clever but her speech impediment hid this and she was quite scrawny compared to her siblings. She was always picked on and her parents were embarrassed and worried that she would never survive on her own without them. In hopes of teaching and toughening her up they tricked her into a special holiday, just her and her parents. During the night they abandoned her, leaving only a tent for her to sleep in. When Bari awoke she was more shocked than surprised. Bari quickly realized what her parents had done and also realized that she didn't recognize this part of the desert at all. The first thing she tried to do was use stones to fashion a weapon. The first weapon she made was a small dagger, perfect for her small form. She began to hunt small critters that she managed to chase down, the same night she learned how to make a fire. It was hard for her at first, she wasn't used to having cuts or bruises on her hands, the instinct to survive seemed to have dimmed the pain. As the days passed she became stronger and faster and as she traveled through the desert she came across an oasis with big alien Rhinoceros. She crouched and crept close enough to leap ontop of the creature and do, well, what florans do best. She stabbed it repeatedly until it fell. She fashioned a spear from its bones and attached a stone spear head with some plant fibre. With this new spear she would continue to hunt down larger creatures. She found clay and built a small hut for herself with it. Adorning its walls with pelts, claws and other bones that she saved as trophies of her hunts. She didn't know how to feel about her parents. As time went on she realized that what they did indeed made her stronger, but she also thought that they did not love her enough if they could abandon her and never come back.

A few months later she comes across a crashed space ship and decides to claim it as her own, marking it with skulls and vines. Eventually she learns how to engineer it and gains a functioning ship.

17. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Ah, the tale of Bustow Gurrilla. One typed onto these very drums many times, yet whose story is lost among the stars forever.

Alright here we go. Bustow Gurrilla was born on a desert planet really far away. At age 13 he joined the rebellion against the Miniknog. At age 15, the entire planet was raided and carpet-bombed. The entire population was wiped out, save for Bustow and a few others. He survived for nearly a year, foraging for food and shelter from the vicious sandstorms that raged the smoldering remains of his home. One day, a USCM freighter ship stopped to make emergency repairs. They took youmg Bustow in and trained him well enough to be a soldier. They offered him a position as a poilot, but he declined. When he was 22, he became a rebel pilot. He fought bravely against the Miniknog, but eventually found himself chased away and stranded in the valleys of an Arid planet. Amongst the dying grass and small pools of poisonous liquid, he found a Glitch town. After being shot at by local guards, he staged a rebellion and declared himself king. He eventually grew bored and repaired his ship to explore the stars, but he never forgot the small Glitch kingdom of which he was the king. He made final home on a comfortable grassy planet; an enormous bunker extending deep in the ground. The bunker was right next to a thriving Avian city. When he was 62, the Miniknog tracked him down and completely destroyed the entire planet. But Bustow escaped with his ship and his pet, who he affectionately called "Unicorn". He wandered among the stars in the 34 years until he died, striking at the Miniknog more forcefully than ever before. He became a hero of the people; a savior of the down pressed. He slaughtered the Stargazers, massacre the Minoknog, and even took down Dreadwing the Pirate. Bustow died at the age of 96 on January 28th, 2015, after destroying 12 Miniknog WEDs and creating a massive black hole in the process.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Master Automan IV likes this.
  18. Master Automan IV

My god! Juno quickly get to the basement! Stay away from this Floran, he's a bad influence! Don't forget to grab the beef jerky!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    jakecool19 likes this.
  19. jakecool19

Floran issss civilized. Floran have a colony with human tenantssssss. Floran isss good Floran only stab bad people and monsterssssss.

20. Master Automan IV

Well the thing is Juno is a Floran. My family has worked hard too raise a civilized floran since she was born.
    Redgardless, Juno does not like a lot of other Florans. She would rather shoot them, rather than converse, unless you behaved. But if you insist.
    Juno, you can come out now.
    *Gives Juno a magnum*
    okay, i'll leave you too alone.
    Don't forget to take the safety off Juno.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    jakecool19 likes this.