1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your playstyle?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Diego Wolfwood, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

My main has a sniper rifle, an Asutero, and dual Aegisalt pistols. She also uses a staff for healing.
    My secondary character has a similar setup, but he uses the rifle from the gladiator mission and he has yet to find a healing staff.
    I plan to have a Novakid that uses only guns, a Glitch that uses only wands and staves, and a Hylotl that uses only melee weapons.

2. TM87

TM87 Tentacle Wrangler

Hammer for everyting that isn't a boss and tesla staff (OPOPOPOPOP) or bosses, also like to carry a shield/dagger for cave fights since hammers and tesla aren't really quick, healing III augment for EPP while keeping damage III as backup and multi-jump-air-dash-sonic-sphere-gotta-go-fast-combo as techs

3. Omegagreen

Omegagreen Starship Captain

As regular gameplay, grab everything that belongs to no-one and build something with it later.
    As combat goes, anything that creates a lot of knockback. Much easier to fight when your opponent can't fight back. I also use a bow if I want a lobbed ranged attack. Sticky grenades are useful as most creatures move directly toward you. I also build structures in front of the monsters just to make sure they can't fight back.

4. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

I'll usewhatever weapon works well at the time, I'm not too picky earlier in the game.
    Hammers are my preferred melee, and then anything that hits hard in terms of ranged, usually grenade launchers. I'm not too keen on staves, they require too much patience.

As for playstyle outside of fighting, I like to stick to roleplay, keeping in line with the character's natural behavior.
    Most of the time that's "general malevolence towards humans" given my usual character, but it really depends. I tend to take pretty furniture and other things regardless of who it belongs to, though, even if that means screaming and running away as fast as I can. >:')

5. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

As far as fighting styles are concerned, generally, I'll choose my battles strategically, and my equipment for the task at hand, such as using a sniper rifle to pick off opponents from afar, or a guided rocket launcher or wand for attacking opponents from around a corner, a melee weapon to fall back on when my enemies are too close for me to effectively use my ranged weapons against, and a shield if I'm unable to avoid various attacks (such as with several bosses). However, I do have my favorites. For example, as far as ranged combat is concerned, I prefer high damage-per-shot, low rate-of-fire, weapons, like sniper rifles or rocket launchers, so that I can shoot, then duck back into cover as I wait for my weapon's cooldown to end. For melee, I'm personally a fan of spears, especially if they have the Energy Whirl ability. And while I'd be willing to wear separator-type armor to improve my survivability enough for me to heal effectively, I personally prefer to rely upon quickly killing off my enemies in the most efficient manner, so I'd usually take the manipulator-type armor.

As far as exploration is concerned, of course, I'll be taking the usual blocks, platforms, torches, and grappling hook with me. However, I'd also want to take a few extra things, like a bed to sleep in, a campfire or oven to quickly whip up a meal, and a healing station for keeping my pets healthy (so that I won't have to invest in healing collars as much as I would, say, damage collars, and so that I can attack my enemies with suicidal pet bombs).

6. Dodging Rain

Dodging Rain Phantasmal Quasar

Here is my weapon build:
    Firestorm's Fury: (Melee/mid range fllamethrower/periodic torch)
    Tesla Staff or Rocket Launcher (special homing or guided)
    Pistol + shield
    Healing items (over 1 second/over 10 second)
    Rocket Spear
    Reserved for situation (ex , or Kluex Sentry for general purpose)

Torch (will replace with lumoth once I get an Oblivious collar)
    Sniper Rifle
    Throwable object + shield
    Food (healing/buff)
    Alien Juice
    Reserved for situation, not as urgent (ex. silt blocks if I want to bungie jump)

Tech: Triple jump, Spike ball, air dash

Although I am kitted to handle fights at any reason, I prefer to play keep away and take out enemies from afar (which is my modus operandi in most games). Even my two melee weapon fits this purpose if needed with the first being a flamethrower while the latter will allow me to rocket spear out of enemy's range. If push comes to shove and I and forced into melee range, I can put up shield parry and start pistol them up close until I can get away.

The biggest split in this build is whether I am fighting a boss or random mobs. The former I use Tesla staff/manipulator and the latter I use rocket launcher/accelerator.

It is not the most creative build but it gets the job done.

7. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

Just my trusty pistol at my side and some (fermented) juices in the fridge. Its a good life

8. Godsailsaqueen

Godsailsaqueen Void-Bound Voyager

Combat has been sufficiently detailed : I'm an opportunistic and I go with the loot. Trying new things. Not espacially aimed at any specific endgame gear.

Now, for my play sessions, I don't dig much and I don't build much. I'm actully pretty amused at my capacity to "circumnavigate" a whole bunch of planets without feeling too bored. I especially like hiking on more mountainous areas. Doing quests in cool villages. I like to stop and cook for a bit when I find a nice secluded cabin. I keep a whole log of places I would like to go back and build upon.
    But for now, left or right I go. Down then up. Collecting nice furniture and loot. Building is my ultimate endgame goal, actually, but I almost never make it to that phase. Even though I make a strong case of possessing every building station and crafting scematic possible. I really want something chillaxed and peaceful : a wood colony of farmers appeals to me greatly.

I have to say that I play hardcore most of the time recently, so with that choppy framerate and the occasional slip of fingers, my characters tend to die in their prime... God bless the shared story assets unlocking system.

But there are much to do in this game, which is pretty amazing. I could even go pokemaster if I'd like...

9. Lintton

Lintton Guest

playstyle huh?

Progression: Preparation. Preparation preparation, preparation! Stocking up on what I need for when I need it, I look like a pack rat with all my vanity goodies in chests, but I got em without worry, through preparation!

Fighting: melee build, with healing augment, spears. I tend to choose safe over speed, and it serves well, making most fights a cakewalk without having to worry about even damage for most. If I was play permadeath I might choose a ranged build, but spears mainly, since I've gotten good at stunlocking and taking apart even groups with one. The occasional rifle may come for variety.

Exploration: If I'm not staying or looking for a town, then usually circumnavigation. if I'm looking for ore, then down I go, making sure I can travel the way back and that I have torches on hand. this lasts until my food runs low or I reach the bottom. I primarily use torches as a light source. old habit, plus it makes going back easier. Made voxels once the pixel count gets really high (like 70k).

Building: always made farms on the way up, until the 6th tier,(Luna 4, a volcanic planet) then started making colonies. I build LARGE, with many colonists together. It aint the glorious magma sea installation I made but maybe I'll try that on a poison planet. I tend to destroy the area around and replace it with my own blocks. The apex rebel base has a right to be worried if I get that far. considering using the stairway to heaven somehow, but that was cobbled together. no hellevator at this time.

10. Mjollna

Mjollna Phantasmal Quasar

Hi !

I'll follow Lintton's template for answering.

Progression : It really depends. I have a casual and a survival characters, who more or less went their ways independently. For the other alts, I tended to use the resources that the first chars had accumulated to speed up the process.

Fighting : one of my chars switches between two 1 handed staffs and 2 daggers. The other ones mainly use one broadsword (Asutero, Protectorate restored one, or the one you can get through last-tier crafting). In the end I don't really use ranged weapons very often.

Exploration : when I land on a planet, I place 2 torches at the spawn to mark it. Then I go all around the surface, entering dungeons if I feel like it, and opening every chest and crate I find on the way. I rarely go underground, unless I want a specific block, want to mine larges quantities of ore, or look for fossils.

Building : most of my buildings can be seen here -> http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/charmoaks-adventures.123700/ . When I build colonies, I like to make the NPCs comfortable, with an integrated bathroom, a furnished kitchen and a bedroom. The exceptions are when, for RP, I decide that the NPC sort of works at the place where the deed is, and lives elsewhere. I enjoyed the T10 bug while it lasted, but otherwise I choose where I build mostly on aesthetic criteria (sky colors, biome, dirt color, etc.).
    Recently I've started to make mockups of the buildings in Tiled before I build ingame (I don't import from Tiled, since it would break the fun of building). It helps me to choose the materials and to work on the proportions, as well as the general aspect of the building.

11. Anekichan

Anekichan Void-Bound Voyager

I play as an Avian, and I mainly use a broadsword, pistol, rocket launcher and sniper rifle + a grappling hook. I also got one of those birds from the challenge rooms? The huge purple and white ones that breathe blue fire with Damage II. I've got a stave, although I just use it for healing zone. My EPP has Light III.

My armour is the energy-style one (can't remember the avian name... toucan or something like that) plus a hoverbike and a boat for quick travel.

I think my tech is something like Wall Jump + Dash + Speed/Spike Morphball.

MrToni300 likes this.
  12. Omegagreen

Omegagreen Starship Captain

Hold on, why does playstyle seem to translate as the battlesyle? Not commenting on anyone in particular, but the whole thread itself.

Update; while I was still playing, I preferred to avoid conflict, plant a flag on every planet that I visited (harder than it sounds) and build a base at one stage. I would only use Esther for the ship repairments and scanning function and then regret encountering her at all and be annoyed for an hour. AFK during the cutscene, repeat the Erchius mining facility in a lackluster fashion, go away and explore one planet of each type. After that, exploring any more planets is a waste of time as you've usually seen everything by then, mine tungsten and above because I refused to play through the story, but couldn't do anything unless I caved in and played through the story. I would have bought any iron and copper from Ursa Miner because my main has too many pixels than I know what to do with. Set up a farm with every plant, let the rain water it or add sprinklers because I don't like agriculture simulators particularly and ag is usually just used as a means to an end (in Starbound's case, cooking) Caught procedurally generated monsters I particularly like and catch all the robotic unique monsters. Battlewise, just made a really tall tower and waited for a dragon bird to show up because they are really strong monsters. Wear cosmetic clothing that shows as much face as possible as I prefer my character's head over some stupid hat. Never throw anything out because it can come in handy (particularly dry dirt. Did you know dry dirt becomes wet tilled soil of the bat? Great for planting grass)
    For battle: dragonbird companion, range weapon (rocket launcher or assault rifle as they can cover a lot of area on contact and I need compensation for the fact that I have no aim in computer games. Stormtrooper levels of bad shooting) and double shortsword in another slot. Machine pistol and grenade launcher, grappling hooks are a must. Bow in case I'm trying to gather material.
    Techs, sprint, multi jump and spike sphere, I'm all about that slow control.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    Roskii Heiral likes this.
  13. moremuffin

moremuffin Cosmic Narwhal

As far as approching combat I prefer a Tactical playstyle. By which I mean weapon choice revolves around traps, indirect fire and setting hazards (ie turning the ground into a sea of flames). On the rare occasion that something actually gets close enough to be a threat I keep a Pistol/Shield Set to focus on defensive play.

For everything else, primarily building, focusing on form over efficiency. It might take more space to make it look pretty but it's the sacrifice I'll make every time.

14. ZeeHero

ZeeHero Pangalactic Porcupine

Building, and improving my standard of living in the starbound world on survival mode. Build more and more and more it doesn't matter if I'll never have use for all the things I built.

15. Ralek

Ralek Title Not Found

Combat is a little easy for me so I take limited resources like 10 healing items, only a realistic amount of food that a person can carry, and 5-10 ropes. When I run out I harvest and make more of what I need without my fancy crafting tables. This adds a pucker factor of just barely scraping by and wisely using my equipment.

16. Shadow20218

Shadow20218 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We use hover bikes if we can but we mainly just sprint at all times.
    We usually take rocket launchers and sniper rifles along with a broadsword. Recently we have started using mine launchers and shields.
    Combat isn't to in depth so we tend to change based off what is the best randomly generated weapon we have at the moment.

17. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I just generally keep one of every kind of weapon on me, but I mostly use a broadsword or a dual-wielded melee weapon, dual-wielded grenade launchers and a staff with healing on it. Basically, I throw the grenades towards anything I can't see but don't trust, attack anything too fast for the grenade launchers with my melee weapon and heal myself and/or my crew members whenever one of us is injured, but usually after the enemy in question has been dispatched. If my grenade launchers' limited range becomes a problem, I use my backup set of dual-wielded guns, which have something like 50 DPS. It takes about a minute to dispatch the Ixodoom with the pistols, and Asra Nox usually dies within one round to a broadsword slice. Multi-jump and sprint makes the Erchius Horror a piece of cake. The healing III augment makes most fights a lot easier, since I can just cling outside of a boss's range until I've healed up.

Then again, I have enough Fluffalo's to be able to farm pieces of the Perfect Armor set for pixels quite easily (I need like 3 harvests to get the cheapest piece, and they all sell for 10 000 pixels), so I mostly end up using XS or ZZ mechs when I want loot from a boss.
    The Heart Of The Ruin takes so much damage from my mech's mining laser that the game can't even handle it. Sure, it doesn't drop any loot, but it's hilarious.

I also generally don't care much about damage per hit vs. speed of attack as long as the speed of attack is high enough to let me get another shot in easily if I miss.

As for non-combat stuff, I mostly just farm my Fluffalos, hoard crew members (I installed the Unlimited Crew mod) and everything else as well, but lately I've been trying to build a nice house for some tenants, with the goal to get one of each kind of tenant. I also tend to circle planets, trying to find the missing blueprints for biome-specific furniture. I leave flags absolutely everywhere, so if I want to try digging deep rather than scouring the surface, I can go back to do so.

To be honest, I'm kind of getting bored of looking for blueprints, so I'm thinking of modding in a uber-weapon to work towards. Like, 100 Perfectly Generic Items and 20 of every kind of refined ore grade powerful.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  18. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

I pretty much just cram whatever I can find in my inventory. If I find something I like better than what I currently have and have no more room, I'll box or throw out the old and take the new. I do, however, have a particular fondness for weapons with high damage per hit and knockback, so I tend to horde stuff like hammers, rocket launchers, and certain types of wands and staves.