1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the point of the Beam-Up restriction?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by conanthealien, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

This reminds me of the discussion I started on here years ago....seems like it.
    It's not very realistic to be able to save anywhere and it's part of why T.E.S. series was so easy.
    The devs probably won't change anything at this point.

2. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

TES series?

3. yclatious

yclatious Guest

The Elder Scrolls, ya know, Skyrim, Oblivion, etc.

4. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

The reason you could save at any time in The Elder Scrolls was because, powergaming aside, it was very easy to die, especially in the early titles. Oh look, it's a lone orc challenging me to death outside a town and he's got some good looking armor on him and he's got a dumb name called Umbra and... he just one-shot me. It's a greater bonewalker, he won't be a threat and wait, I can't move? You mean he can damage strength that lowers it until restored by very hard to come by potions, spells, or temple blessings?

Then there was Oblivion, the game where you didn't want to sleep at all because things got stronger faster than you did. Even Skyrim had it's moments, like an Ancient Dragon landing next to you while you're in a town and you just realized that it's breathing fire and you've got next to no fire resist gear.

TES has always been rather binary in nature, you either struggled a lot or were effectively a god-killing abomination, not a lot of in-between.

Back on topic, I think the beam-up restriction is going to stay for a while, if only because it doesn't rank very high on the list of things that need to be changed.

5. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Yer aswering the wrong guy man, I just told you what it was, aswer Voyager

6. Wyvern

Wyvern Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Honestly a charge time for beaming back up would solve most of the problems.

There's the argument that climbing back to the surface presents danger is a little weak, in my opinion. I've never had too much trouble getting back out of a cave. You might compare it to Minecraft, but there's a very big difference between these two games. In Starbound, you have a myriad of techs that increase your mobility something which doesn't exist in (vanilla) Minecraft. Also consider that navigating a 3D space is significantly more difficult than navigating a 2D space (Well, provided you don't just cheese in Minecraft and dig/pillar straight up).

A charge time (for the ship to "lock on" to you or however the hell you want to rationalize it) takes away the tedium and fake "difficulty" of returning to the surface while preventing the beam up acting as a panic button.

Serenity likes this.
  7. conanthealien

conanthealien Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How is it "unrealistic"? The current actual Teleportation mechanic is fairly straightforward: You can Beam Up at any time, except when there's too much stuff in the way. The Save&Quit teleportation is actually breaking that rule. It's breaking the internal consistency. Why can't I "camp out" in the middle of the forest instead of my ship? Why shouldn't I be able to make a safe, monster-proof air pocket where I can sleep, instead of going ALL the way back to the surface?

On the other hand, if you are talking about LITERAL saving, and not the mechanic as implemented: yeah, pretty much. Panic button bad, consequences of bad actions good.

Untrustedlife likes this.
  8. Hyeroshi

Hyeroshi Subatomic Cosmonaut

I find getting back to the surface extremely tedious even though I'm at the point of just making a hole going straight down when I get to a planet. There's like 20 billion planets, so I won't be bothered to make a mineshaft for each planet I visit and wasting time going back to the surface is just as bad when I could either A) Kill myself or :cool: relog.

I'm totally unconcerned with pixels and make them back extremely quickly after dying, so if I need to go to the surface I'll find some way to kill myself, be it sitting on some hazards, letting a monster chew on me for about 5 minutes, finding a pool of lava or using a miniature sun to incinerate myself. If I don't feel like doing any of that I'll just relog.

Compared with Terraria, Starbound hasn't got a lot in terms of cave generation yet because Starbound is still in development and it makes exploring caves a bit tedious since you can't find a surface cave and explore down it, marking a path with torches and going back up when you're finished. I enjoy doing that in Terraria (when I don't have a magic mirror) because it's fast and easy to do, but again, you're on one of a billion different worlds with different generations each time, so I'm not going to be bothered to do that. I'm going to choose to go the fast and effortless way up every time.

9. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I found a silver drill and given its speed I have no idea what you folks are on about. Thing chews through moons both up and down insanely well. I hope its craftable later on.

10. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

It is

Lintton and Serenity like this.