What is the modding potential for this game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blitz, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Blitz

Blitz Subatomic Cosmonaut

So, without having actually explored available APIs myself, I'm curious. Most "mods" seem to be either cheat codes or texture/audio swaps. Texture/audio swaps essentially being simple file replacements, and cheat codes being simple modifications to the game's running memory to change the behavior of one of the game's native features.

Does this game have a future for mods that actually change how the game is played? Mods that can add content that isn't in-line with content already added by the developer? Like you can add a new crop easily, I'm sure. But crops are already a thing. Will it be possible for talented modders to add new functions to the game outright? I know we're only on Week 3 or so of release and I've already seen a few simple things like a mod to add tooltips to chests which is pretty good for such an early mod, but will we ever be able to create our own expansions? To add new mini games, new stories, new adventures. Are those things that are possible with good use of existing modding APIs? Could they be with APIs to be released in the future? You couldn't believe the amount of drooling I was doing when I first thought "open source harvest moon game", but the percentage of "mods" just being simple 1/0 toggles and data swaps is disheartening.

• OriSein

OriSein Orbital Explorer

Not entirely sure to be honest. Content mods can be a tricky subject when dealing with a new developer. Some devs feel those type of mods tarnish the game they set out to make (not saying this is true of CA, but he did mention not wanting to hire personnel to assist with content) As far as other things, he said the game itself is largely modable as it is, and wasn't sure if he'd add mod-support as a standalone. But rather use steam-workshop in the future (if he ever has time, at this point, you're looking at late 2017 for that kind of addition)

• Blitz

Blitz Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hopefully Steam Workshop implementation wouldn't be more of the same (texture swaps and simple replacements). I want to see this game with fleshed out combat mods, open world mods, and the like. There's so much beautiful potential. I'd really like to see it realized.

• Atelier Kuya

Atelier Kuya Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Check the Storm API discussion. It's in alpha right now (but people are hard at work on it), but there are high expectations that include alot of truly adding community-made content to the game.

• Godot

Godot Big Damn Hero

As ConcernedApe had Butchering implemented in earlier stages of the game,
            a good question is (IMHO) whether the Butchering functionality still exists in the library and maybe can accessed/reactivated via the Modding API