1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to our playerbase?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by PJRamaglia, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrLevi

MrLevi Phantasmal Quasar

I'm just waiting for it to get further along. Not like the game is going anywhere. :kitten:

Edit: I might play again when the Novakids are out, because I've always loved their race concept from the moment I heard about them.
    Edit 2: I think an average of 2000 players is still pretty good compared to most games.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

Yup. I hope a pony mod that works will be released for the new Starbound patch as soon as possible so i can be horse the moment i start the game.

3. Exgaves

Exgaves Void-Bound Voyager

Its just a sad reality of people being confused by early access

although this game was probably more alpha than beta state when it was released, since the whole story and progression is practically non-existent.

i just hope people give it another chance when v1.0 releases (and I also hope its worth that second chance)

Farathil likes this.
  4. warcore

warcore Existential Complex

I pursonaly get why people left starbound so quick after it came out. I mean you play, you progress, but you don't feel as thow theres anything "Waiting" for you at the end you just keep working and grinding for the goal, or for the epic drops that will never come, the game right now is just a hollow shell with vary little "unique" functionality like in terraria. for example well they can make a powerful sword they don't yet have the means to make it have a special affect like summon a demon or something, well in terraria the game is setup to allow such a thing to be possible(don't quote me on that =D)

5. Madzai

Madzai Phantasmal Quasar

Starbound next update will bring a lot of ppl for sure, but it better be very BIG and complex update or it'll just rise more negativity. And reviews like "They abandoned the game" will change into: "They spent X months doing nothing but smoke and mirrors, slapped 'patch' together in a week and called it 1.0". And, ofc, some ppl will return only to search flaws and blame CF.

6. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

Yeah, that's a pretty decent amount when you compare it to other games in the same genre.

7. jpmrocks

jpmrocks Phantasmal Quasar

Ditto to this. I'm just back into the game now, so when this next big update comes, I'm not part of the update-rush crowd.

8. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

It is nothing new it is all chronicled in the great history of starbound.

====
    All was well when starbound fell.
    It was like a shiny toy, which brought winters joy.

Yet as it progressed, character resets met.
    Anger arose and pitch forks posed.

Unable to compute the game has yet to finish development.
    That did not stop them, for demanding to fix the problem.
    So instead they cried, like cats in the night.

Many demanded a fix or t hey will jump into the river styx.
    Personally I say yay - over population is a pain.
    But CF said nay - a fix we shall display

By then many have left.
    An said, " Ill be back when no work is left"

So alas we end our tale.of starbounds run.
    Yet to be done, still pretty fun.
    Yet people have left, waiting for it to finish development.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    warcore, Mood and yclatious like this.
  9. Lintton

Lintton Guest

That doesn't rhyme!

But, consider this. Wipes are currently considered as development continues. Meaning even if people played now, there is no guarantee that their progress will be saved. Starbound needs an official release or to be at a state where character progress remains.

Then there's the whole multiplayer functions that need to be put in. Right now the community's abilities to manage each other are limited.

I will say this though, it feels good to be in a wooden house again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
  10. Wolfie Inu

Wolfie Inu Pangalactic Porcupine

People upset by wipes: I understand their frustration, but come on, that wasn't a secret. Everyone knows the next update will cause a wipe, save files are not yet forwards-compatible.

Right now I quit playing because after 140+ hours there's nothing new for me to do, and I'm not interested enough to start over with stone tools every day on Nightly (which may or may not happen depending on whether saves break today), so I'm waiting for the next Stable update. Pretty sure most people are in the same boat.

Cost likes this.
  11. I stopped playing back in janurary to be honest. I'm pretty much just waiting 'til its more complete because the only real meaningful thing you can do in this moment is build, and im really horrid when it comes to that type of creativity.

The | Suit likes this.
  12. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Well, keep in mind that a lot of people, even when downloading a beta for commercial games, will approach it like a consumer, not as a tester.

the playerbase should come back once the release hits. and besides, it is not like we ourselves are powerless to affect it.

13. Madzai

Madzai Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah, it wasn't a secret, but you know, there is another game similar to SB in EA, they are doing character and world wipes from time to time. They also release updates steadily. And i'm not seeing a lot of negative from wipes both on their official sites and in Steam community forums. Yeah. ofc, from time to time, random person who won't read EA terms and all huge statements about wipes both, in steam store and in game itself, wander in the forum and posts something about wipe, but in general, situation is calm. And no, it wasn't always like that. It were exactly the same as in SB right now, but somehow they managed to calm down community without repressions and make a steady course with updates.
    Yeah, the said game is much less popular than SB in general, but with great fame and money comes great responsibility, isn't it?

14. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

At this point, I think a lot of people are waiting for no more wipes, and for the game to be in a more complete state (more content, too). I told myself I wouldn't play until full release / Late, late Beta, honestly.

Even though I'm sure I'd have a lot of fun with it now, I'd rather wait until things get more stable and such.

It's pretty normal behavior in early access / early betas, to see this type of chart. Game gets an update, game's population going to spike. Population wanes/ dies down until another update comes. Once this update comes, we'll have a huge spike in the playerbase, which will die down after the initial excitement of it, and then we'll have an increased "steady" playerbase. People don't generally play if they have nothing to do, so a lot of people are simply waiting for the next update / new stuff to do, then they do them.

Until the game is actually finished, it's going to be updates sustaining the active playerbase. And I'm confident once this stable update is released, subsequent updates will come a bit faster, since this patch is meant to create a lot of stable foundation on which to build. That's just my take on it.

The | Suit and Lintton like this.
  15. Arylin

Arylin Subatomic Cosmonaut

I haven't touched the game in months as there wasn't much I hadn't already done. I was game to restart each time a wipe came, but after awhile I started to think that my time was better spent waiting for more substantial updates to justify the effort. Then came the unstable releases and the stable one gradually became totally neglected. At that point I decided not to hang around anymore and started off on other games such as Don't Starve and FTL. The fact that nightly releases aren't promoted to unstable and stable hasn't given me any reason to return either.

I'm still checking the forums, however, hoping that one day I'll open the front page and find people raving about the latest stable release. It's been a long time and I can easily empathize with the growing impatience many people have waiting for something new to sink their teeth into.

The | Suit likes this.
  16. Deathsdoll

Deathsdoll Pangalactic Porcupine

I feel like most just waiting on more, I have seen all there is to see ingame and done all there was to do so far. When the update hits all that will go away so there is no point in making my home,farm and falling in love with it.
    I can wait no prob, I know there working hard and they show us what there working on, only thing in the back of my mind is with no updates in such a long time some will give up move on and it will be to little to late when the update comes.
    This is not so for me as I plan to hang in there till they are done, I find it hard to play other games and stick with them cuz I want to be playing this lol :)

Wolfie Inu likes this.
  17. am3amzar

am3amzar Void-Bound Voyager

I personally quit playing starbound as i dont want to spoil it for myself.

i want to wait for a stable version first for maximum satisfaction!

warcore, Serenity, The | Suit and 2 others like this.
  18. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

See the people who are still playing?
    They didn't give up on the search for Derrick.

19. gejiryu

gejiryu Big Damn Hero

Hype died, that happens a lot with "early access" games, that's one of the reasons i hate this new trend in gaming, you have a nice idea for a game, and a team capable of making it happen (not so much in starbound's case(and no, i am not criticizing CF, i am criticizing indie developers in general) but by sheer pressure from the press or youtube, or the need of money, they release this abortion that people call an early access game, just because minecraft worked people, indie "developers" think their games will be 10/10 and sell millions, and then this kind of thing happens, a game with basically no content, that feels shallow and kills the hype for half of the people that wasted their monies on it. It happened with cubeworld, rust, starbound, the forest, that game with dinossaurs, i could list like 30 games with absolutely amazing ideas, just like starbound, that were actually bound to fail because of the amateurism of the dev team and other issues.

#realtalk

20. FunAsylum

FunAsylum Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have spotted many relatives... and have only posted one...

Serenity and Owl_Stalker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.