1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback What happened? (Everything, sort of)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DJFlare84, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Tsk, looks better than the final product... I suppose they are just victims of their ambitions, which they were ultimately unable to fulfill.

2. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

bad decisions happened.

3. MrStrangerPL

MrStrangerPL Pangalactic Porcupine

Same happened with Spore. We really don't learn from our mistakes. Remember that wonderful game about evolution from little bacteria to space colonizing empire? Yeah? Well Spore is nothing like that. They basically turned it into bunch of stupid minigames. Somewhere half their development they went ,,Fuck what we wanted all along, let's make game for kids!''. I have that weird feeling, that most of the complexity of this game, is gone for the same stupid reason. Is Spore, a bad game? Naah. Not really. But what it was supposed to be, is a whole another story. ,,Bad decisions happened'', indeed.

4. Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

What do you mean "for kids"? Nothing about Spore struck me as "for kids". At the very least the microorganism phase in Spore holds up, if nothing else.
    Also, what's up with your punctuation? I see double commas right before some sentences, and some unmatched quotation marks.

5. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

yes the first stage is the last "child suited one it was also the earlisets one that existed. from then on plans chanegd and all the other stages feel like a game for kids. dancing, biting playing music, Now thats great if oyu are like 10. No proper diplomatics and stuff was implemented. Not even in the space stage.

6. Treadlight

I didn't say the microorganism phase was "child suited", I said it held up despite the other phases being ridiculously tedious. How can you equate tedious gameplay with childhood? The game is just bad...

7. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

I haven't played PE in over 2 years. It's beautiful. It may be unfair to compare them, since the style of the graphics is different and one is 3D, but it seems to me that having infinite planets is not necessarily better. Maybe one star system with better designed planets would be ideal. Unless, of course, you had the best of both worlds.

Treadlight likes this.
  8. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

with child suited I meant being a stage designed rather realistic in most things unlike the other stages which are rather much target audience <16

well PE rewards you at least with some very unique things to see that the random generator pulls of here and there, thats the major difference to the one in Sb with its wavy hills. PE doesn't needs some prseet assest to be put into the game to at last genrate some stuff looking differently here and there.

Anyoen palyed clonk? i played clonk 4 and thats was like 1998 and that had a generator doing simiar terrain generation by shape, but thats was a small game on a small map done buy a few guys. And Sb has somehow the same thing so I hardly fell like 2016 here. Esepcially not when you look at other procedurally generated games and what their generation can pull off. being 3D or not has not much to do with it, Terrari cna pull off nice surface "caves" or tunnels also lakes and stuff.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  9. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

No, Spore is very much a kids game. The only reason you don't think it is is because of all the memes going around about how Spore is only used by immature kids to make penis monsters (which, to be fair, is childish. So... still counts).

Spore absolute, positively suffered from being made too accessible for children. It's blindingly, absurdly simple and easy to play, and only gets 'complex' around the Space Stage, which is where most reasonable people lose their interest anyway. If you ever saw what the original pitch looked like you'd understand.

That video looked like cells. REAL cells. Not cartoonish depictions of cells. It looked like a game about real, awesome evolution.

But we got cartoons instead, with watered-down evolution. Instead of cool actually somewhat correct-ish cell traits we got "spikes" and "mouths".

MrStrangerPL likes this.
  10. Treadlight

I had completely forgotten about the immature folks making crass humor out of the creature creator. I hope you recognize that this isn't representative of what actual children want or enjoy, and is just another example of out-of-touch businesspeople.

But we're getting of topic; I just remembered another significant blog post. The one about the Monster Monster contest, which details several unique monsters that were promised to be in the game. Only the poptop is in the actual final game, and does not behave even similarly to how it was supposed to based on the entry. A big kick in the teeth is that there is actually a virorb plushie decoration that you can get in the final game, and the the examination text all hints at it presently existing.
    EDIT: There's also a plushie decoration of a mindwurm, similarly kicking the teeth in.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    Waffle-Chan likes this.
  11. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Why do you hope? Is there a doubt? I hope not...

No of course I know kids don't actually want to make dicks out of the creature creator. Only dumb teens who think it's still funny, especially when they're high (like a certain friend of mine. It's exactly his kind of 'humor').

To be fair, though, they're exactly the kind of people I'm talking about when I say "immature kids".

Man, bringing up the Monster Monster contest... I think I actually had an entry there, too.

12. 1nfinitezer0

1nfinitezer0 Cosmic Narwhal

Sooooo, is there a revivalist movement at all? My only back up of all the old material is on a drive that is kinda sketchy, so there's no way I could rely on it. But, almost all the changes could be modded back into the game right? Some of the underlying code/technology that supports some of the mechanics might be broken, but I'm certain that the vast majority of things are still compatible.

If Chucklefish decides that it is not stuff to eventually go back in, there's no reason why all the legacy material couldn't just be ported yeah? Or even start the porting and then take it out if CF returns it.

Just think, the return of randomly coloured dirt home planets, weird ass biome combinations, all the zany weapon options, more randomish random monsters, coal from wood... Granted, many of the gameplay elements have improved for the better, but content could be re-introduced in a way that's consistent, even if potentially unbalanced.

Pingeh, Mythril-Jelly and Treadlight like this.
  13. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

I don't have a problem with dirt being forced to be the same color as the dirt on-planet, since we have the spraypainter which also works on dirt.

But on that note I seriously want to see the spraypainter get expanded with more color options. I need an ACTUAL shade of Purple, Chucklefish! No, Pink is not "close enough"!

14. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

is SB not accessible for children? If I compare the games I played on my Sega Mastersytsem 2 when I was 10, I can ensure you they were harder to play than SB at all. SB is very much a kids game too in my opinion. it's not hard to play, it's in fact extremely easy. The hardets part is actually building some proper and creative things, but that surely doesn't exceeds spore depth of creation. In fact I guess spres space phase is quite harder than any of the SB's parts in the game.

15. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

I think people take for granted how long 3 years is. plans change, not always out of necessity, but because it just happens. a natural progression.

like, do y'all know how often music albums get changed or shelved during their development because of a certain change, be it style or lyrical content or, y'know, the producer?
    same thing with games. ideas shift and some things become redundant. like, what if they're working on separate "post-story" storylines for each race as we speak? first, save the universe. then, save your species. or whatever.
    racial weapons? what good is a racial weapon when you'll probably find a better, more useful Unique (edit: all you need is doom, you'll understand)? don't get me wrong, I understand the aesthetic appeal of racial weapons but mechanically they don't matter. that being said, I can agree with some things. like, I totally miss that aurora effect on some snow planets. other than that... meh.

16. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

The problem is that there was more change than removal. We'd understand if they replaced a system with a new one, but all they did was take away some things that people enjoyed without putting anything back. It's just gone.

Pingeh and Zanary like this.
  17. pop-yotheweird

welcome to life lol. things change and they don't come back, visions change and the old one becomes irrelevant. it's no different in game design.

18. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

yes but there were made a lot bad decisions.

it had the potential to exceed Terraria but so many thinsg were watered down and casualised it is a pale shadow of what it was and which potential it already had.

http://steamcharts.com/cmp/105600,211820

Pingeh and Zanary like this.
  19. pop-yotheweird

Terraria has also been out for much longer and has garnered a much more dedicated following. Terraria wasn't burdened by terrible reviews when its beta dropped back in Dec. 2013 because people were expecting a"fuller game". the same things people want in this thread were the same thing people hated when the game released in beta. go figure, huh?

what "bad decisions" were made exactly? the removal of what, what changed, what is actually and objectively worse?

20. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

HAHAHAHA;, sry but thats rubbish. you know these argument:

has been longer out thats why it's better.

theres always two things:
    you show people their game does worse compared to an older one, and they argue with: longer out"
    you show them their game does worse compared to a newer one and they argue: "because it's new people always go on to newer games."

Objectivbely worse is the entire sandbox: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/the-slowly-dying-sandbox.119939/ I made a thread about this some time ago.

Objectively worse is the entire monster behavior and difficuly of the game, everthing is now supereasy, the older game was much more challanging.
    Objectively worse is the survival mode, as the older game had heat mechanic. now you just slap on an upgrade augment and you can go on hot/cold planets. But they aren't a heat mechanic, they are just artifical access borders instead of a mechanic.
    Objetcively worse is the tech, because theres a lot less diversity in it and many are just inferior to other techs.

And still, No Starbound got those burdened "terrible reviews" because of all the stuff that was removed. From koala to giraffe a ton of actually ecxciting and entertaining content was just thrown out of the window. terraria even at closely to the end of itself is still entertaining and putting some challange on the player. SB doesn't, all you can do then is walking over the same repetitive planets without anythign special to find. SB has nearly no progression as you can progress through it in a few hours. So when you want to objectively ask yourself what screwed up Starbound, then look what the february update in 2015 did. laods of people hopped into the game and wanted to see what great things were to come, but they were disappointed and left rather quickly.

So stop finding excuses why the game dodn't went better than Terraria caused by the people.
    The game had the potential to be a better terraria in some mid koala versions, and dev decisions to change some things made the game inferior to it, They basically changed the entire way SB, and it stopped being the game people bought into early access. That decision was done by chucklefish and not an vent of "terrible reviews". And even without those reviews the game wouldn't have much more people playing it today.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Pingeh, Ixmore, Zanary and 1 other person like this.