1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What factors decide the race of your first character?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by blaisedaly, Apr 17, 2013.

1. reversePsychologist

reversePsychologist Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I will play every race starting from the one I like the least to my favorite one, so that I don't run out of enthusiasm in twenty-six seconds doing all the things I want to do on my first playthrough, and also because different = refreshing, maybe I'll even learn liking the races I don't like (which are just one, actually).

2. CommodoreFrank

CommodoreFrank Subatomic Cosmonaut

I require facial hair whenever it's available, so I'll probably be a human. Novakid is going to be very tempting, though.

3. Boopitybop

Boopitybop Big Damn Hero

I was pretty much set to play glitch, because I really like the medieval theme that goes along with them. I also love cowboys as well, so now I am going with Novakids.

4. Dr. Otaku-Sensei

Dr. Otaku-Sensei Phantasmal Quasar

I was going to go Hylotl, but then came the Novakids and I sooo wanted to play as them.
    I chose them because they were aesthetically interesting

5. Candide

Candide Subatomic Cosmonaut

Novakid. Space cowboys, man.
    My order'll probably go like this, but it's subject to change:
    Novakid
    Glitch
    Florans
    Avians
    Humans

Hylotl
    Apex

I just don't like monkeys or apes or what have you, sorry.

6. ums

ums Void-Bound Voyager

Birth. Human4Life.

7. NightFire

NightFire Parsec Taste Tester

Mabye glitches or avians if not the hoytlols(cant spell it)

Glitches because..DUH medieval robots..avians because you will most likely have some form of glide or less fall DMG and hylotls because of the ability to hopefully have some extra breath underwater

8. Laughter

Laughter Void-Bound Voyager

Floran because I really enjoy the colorful aspect of them.

9. Croyd

Croyd Big Damn Hero

I'm going for the human race, it has always been the first I play in any RPG that has races including them.

10. Alluvian_Est-Endrati

Alluvian_Est-Endrati Existential Complex

A fun method of selection to be sure. Alas we do not have any Space Dwarves to pick among... and there does not seem to be facial hair options in character creation (yet?).

11. RedScarWolf

RedScarWolf Spaceman Spiff

Floran, because no one will look at me weird when I eat the corpses of my enemies.

12. Fading Walnut

Fading Walnut Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Id be human to start off, but I will later on be every other character.

13. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

hm, the design of the clothing from the start and the planets they would normally be found in. oh! starting weapons yea...

14. Pigeon Poopenheimer

Pigeon Poopenheimer Orbital Explorer

Took the words right out of my mouth.

CrowReaper and Kingpendragon like this.
  15. SkrittKing

SkrittKing Starship Captain

Interestingly enough, those are the reasons I want to play Glitch and Apex as my first two.

16. Lazypeanut

Lazypeanut Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I usually never look at perks of each indvidual race when i choose one i choose it because of it's looks and looks only so i'll be getting that Novakid since they look awesome.

17. CommodoreFrank

CommodoreFrank Subatomic Cosmonaut

At least there's two hair styles for the humans with facial hair. Actual facial hair selection would be nice, but as long as it's available in some way, I'm happy.

18. Kingpendragon

Kingpendragon Big Damn Hero

From day one I had alread decided that I wouldn't play a human (I always start every game with a human, and wanted things to be different this time.

The first races shown were Apex (I hate monkeys/apes) and Avians (BIRDS! My favorite animals) so I've had already decided on avians months ago. But the Novakid look tempting...

19. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Aesthetics for me.

20. Zody

Zody Weight of the Sky

My choice will be dictated by whether or not the race consists or robots, one contender so far.