1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you guys think the Starbound Community's reaction will be?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheGamer100, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Milan Mree

Milan Mree Ketchup Robot

Generally speaking starbound is going to remain 'in the negatives' of the general views until either a long time after the game is complete or never depending on what the final product is. A lot of people seem to believe there is nothing wrong with the game as it currently is and a good portion of those same people probably won't see what's wrong with the game post release if there are things still left hanging. A good portion of the back lash has come from a mixture of bad timing mixed with slower updates and ultimately unfulfilled promises.

Personally I'd like to think that people actually are mad at the latter mostly, but I understand that it is likely that people are just impatient. As for myself, I'll write a review for Starbound post 'release', though I will say things are not looking good to me and it has nothing to do with speed.

2. Ice_kitten

Ice_kitten Astral Cartographer

As someone who browses both here and the Steam forums because I think it gives me a pretty fair basis on which to build my own opinion, I think that when the update eventually does come out there will be people who like it, but there will be people who say: "After --- months THIS is all we get?". There are bad apples in every bunch, steam however, has become almost a safe haven for them from the censorship they claim (I'm not going to pick sides here, everyone's at fault) exists. The mentality that "They don't agree with me, so they're wrong"/"They're a troll!" is rampant on both sides. Nobody is an enemy because they think differently. I for one started off being angry at the devs for not putting out updates. And while I'm still a little peeved, I don't feel the need to attack anyone. I'm not a mod and I'm assuming a mod is going to say this anyway, but c'mon guys, keep it civil.

3. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Which reminds me, I should reword my other reply, I relized it might have sounded like I was saying people who are upset are trolls morre that some users will likely most a joke about how long CF is taking. Sorry if it was one of my post that offended you. Someone here is bound to make makes some trollish jokes as well.

And thanks for reminding us to keep it simple. I will go edit my post to fix it up.

And I do hope that how long they are taking is to prevent more of the "Really this long and you release THIS?" type post from happening... atleast that is why I imagine they aren't just going to drop something.

4. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

Starbound community explodes.

5. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Same as now...

Some will be happy and some will complain. Some will change their minds and some will change complaints. Such is the way of Communities

Serenity and linkthegamer like this.
  6. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

I have no clue do I look psychic...fine I will guess, people will be on it and say stuff about games they buy on that service.

7. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Probably mixed. It's too much of a blanket statement to say "they will all be X". Some people will be all "Oh, hey, that's cool". Others will be more "This should have happened sooner, and you really need to pick up your act". And, of course, there will be a little bit of "OMG STAHP BUYING DOGS AND TEASING HORSE TITS AND GIB ME A REFUND U R SCAMERS LIEK ALL EARLY ACCESS DEVS".

What always bothered me about Fox News is the fact that it contains no actual foxes. If it was news about foxes, or news presented by foxes, it would be the greatest thing since BBC News sliced bread.[DOUBLEPOST=1408702448,1408702326][/DOUBLEPOST]@Bonabopn, have you ever considered a career in television?

Serenity likes this.
  8. Hefeweizen

Hefeweizen Starship Captain

Most people have moved on an given up on Starbound. It might see a population spike of upwards of five of six thousand of the original 80k that played it on launch. But overall Chucklefish is tainted as a brand, you won't see people flocking back to their games any time soon.

Kokiris and khalismur like this.
  9. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

i like foxes c:

Jonesy likes this.
  10. That's just like, your opinion, man.

Do you have any facts supporting your claim?

11. Hefeweizen

http://www.steamcharts.com/app/211820#1y

and

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211820/
    (The reviews)

You need more, or are we good?

98.82% percent of the people who played Starbound on a daily basis at launch have stopped playing. It would be foolish to think that even half of those people will be back after the patch, so by any metric you want to measure it by "most people have given up on Starbound".

And then as far as Chucklefish being tainted as a brand, when your marque game has entirely negative reviews on your store page, your brand is in trouble.

12. Starbug

Starbug Guest

http://steamcommunity.com/app/211820/reviews/?p=1&browsefilter=mostrecent

That is probably the most accurate way to see reviews, before the down-voters arrive. There are unhappy buyers down-voting positives and up-voting negatives.

I don't think that is in doubt. This is not an unrecoverable position, but lots more work needs to be done on this title.

Things are not as doom-laden as some believe. Constructive posts can really help put this back on track. Unless you asked every lapsed buyer, I don't think it's fair to say most people have given up on Starbound. Given up playing it right now perhaps, but not abandoned the game as worthless.

13. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

That's actually pretty shitty :wut:

14. Hefeweizen

It wouldn't be the situation if there wasn't so many more unhappy buyers than happy ones. It also probably wouldn't be the case if these forums weren't so much more heavily moderated than other gaming websites. People don't feel like they can express themselves on official channels, so they make their opinion heard somewhere that it can't be shuttered.

Colton and Madzai like this.
  15. Madzai

Madzai Phantasmal Quasar

Why? It how steam reviews work - you upvote positive review or write your own you like the game, and doing opposite if you hate it. And i'm speaking about normal, some kind of generalized player, not about ppl who actually put their time into debating about the game and upvoting\downvoting every review. I think percentage of those involved gamers is pretty low in general and almost equally divided between "critics" and "fans" and do not affect statictics too much.

16. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

People are completely free to criticize the game, as long as they do so respectfully. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like that's too common here.

That being said, I've seen some criticisms here that are pretty close to the hostile side, and yet they haven't been deleted. I think people are exaggerating the amount of "silencing" or whatever you want to call it that goes on here.

Bonabopn likes this.
  17. Hefeweizen

I would respectfully disagree, and would request that you compare these forums with the forums of other early access games. The amount of locked threads alone should be eye opening.

18. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

actually most players i know personally are happy with starbound.
    Exactly! People are always whining about being banned, and if you look up what they were banned for, it's always because they were flaming people or otherwise breaking the rules.

19. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

To be fair, when this forum was first created, the release date was in 2012, so people /were/ sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for 6 months ^-^
    Then we waited another year...
    Then another...
    Then it came out...
    Then we are still waiting for it to have content...
    So the future has to actually be exciting if it wants to draw a good crowd and get positive views from people. If is like "we added more instruments, emotes, and building materials" then the community is going to probably throw a fit, but if they actually add gameplay to the game, and make it enjoyable to play for longer than 15 minutes without doing the same thing over and over again, then I am sure people will be happy with it, no matter if they didn't like the game before or not. New monsters, and actual monster log as they "showed" us before, quests, Dungeon Master mode (creative), armors, new planets (not the same bland recolors), making it worthwhile to even go to other planets, better combat, etc. would all be great in the new update. ( I doubt they are going to add that much, but it'd be great if they did).

Beatrice, Kokiris, Colton and 3 others like this.
  20. The only reason we got a beta release in 2013 is because people were livid that they might miss the 2013 release. People screaming "BETA NOAW PLZKTHX!" every chance they could kinda forced CF into pushing something that wasn't done. No one is saying mistakes weren't made, but people need to learn that they're human and capable of making mistakes. Part of that is being able to forgive past transgressions which so many people can't seem to grasp.

swagnumsdaboSS and Akado like this.