1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you dislike most about starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Joseph the wanderer, Oct 2, 2015.

1. SteamCloud

SteamCloud Void-Bound Voyager

I was elated to see extra room in the inventory but grew sad when I found I had to shift items around manually to make room for stuff in one section or manually place weapons back into my hand slots after skulking through a trigger-happy village. Bring back hunger and freezing.

chean and Cipherstar like this.
  2. Spancialosaphus

Spancialosaphus Void-Bound Voyager

Ooh that would be a way round another minor gripe I have: the way the total number of weapons in the game is multiplied by the number of effects (well you got your ARs that do basic bullets, fire, ice, poison..., your swords that do bassic hitting, fire, ice, electric... etc) and they all need storing. Maybe you can choose the current ammo/strike effect and each swing or shot consumes one... lava blob for fire, ice block for ice, poison drop for poison, gunpowder for multishot... and you need a tech artifact to be able to use each effect at all, so you could burn up those excess tech cards...

STCW262 likes this.
  3. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I hate how expendable my character seems to me; I would not care if they were deleted randomly.
    I dislike nanosuits being the end-all of temperature woes.
    I am not fond of the colony system with its many flaws.

4. Ryumaru

Ryumaru Big Damn Hero

Not a fan of how twitchy/messy the controls are for platforming. It makes getting through the Apex obstacle courses without eating a very generous percentage of my healing items unnecessarily difficult. I think I'd like it if either the controls were tightened up a bit (less floaty and easy to miss platforms) or there was a way to grab ledges.

5. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

Considering that your normal jump is like twice or more your height, you can assume it already compensates for grabbing and climbing ledges.

6. Fauxglove

Fauxglove Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't like how top teir planets are all lava or dead. I'd like to be able to explore the full range of planet types and still have the monsters be a legitimate threat. I read somewhere they were planning on the final teir having copies of all the planets in it, I wonder how far away that is.

Cipherstar likes this.
  7. benja41238

benja41238 Space Hobo

The first loading screen.....

I hate her

8. Wazamaga

Wazamaga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There's nothing in the game that I really "Hate", with the exception of the Hylotl. There's nothing wrong with there species, I just don't like their attitude. But besides that it would probably the commonality of supposedly "Rare" parts, which has been said here before.

9. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Hate is a strong word.

I just dislike the fact that some items you get that having a crafting recipe usually only for one thing or two and not much else. Granted I wouldn't want everything to have interchangeable recipes, but in the very least something like say the first crystals to have more things to do with them. The crystals was just an example, as I am unsure if that has changed much. Mainly things like that that seem to have only 1 use early on, but nothing later on. Why have a whole bottom of a planet dedicated to such a resource if it is not going to be used. Well Something that I am sure was already put out there many times.

Beyond that I am liking the direction they are going with each update that comes about. Hopefully that hunger system will be put in before 1.0, once they got the kinks worked out. I am just extremely patient I guess. :)

STCW262 likes this.
  10. Oricalcum

Oricalcum Ketchup Robot

Welp, I just started playing again from... Gosh... A year ago maybe? I can't recall the version, but oh well. There were sectors and hunger and junk.
    Anyways, here were some things I thought were odd/kinda bad in my opinion:

No hunger/temperature - Sure, you need to eat food to regain health, but that just brings me back to Minecraft pre-adventure update. I'm personally a big fan of having survival-esce features in games, and having to eat so that you didn't starve just seemed really cool to me. Alongside of that, I wish that there were more medically-based things (medications, salves, not just bandages and medkits), and that food only regained hunger. As for the temperature, it doesn't make sense to me how an implant can magically make me warm or cold. I'd rather it'd be based around some sort of suit, and before such a suit can be acquired, that you would, like in the earlier versions, have to have a source of heat/something to keep you cool on these planets.
    EDIT: I haven't tested this yet, but it seems to fix the problem of temperature.

Cookie-Cutter Stars - I know it's been mentioned, but it's always something that's irked me. I'd rather planets biomes be based on distance from the star. Which, also makes me consider frozen stars. Why... I just don't understand them. I'd rather go to a single planet far from the star instead of go to a star system and see a bunch of white ones. For the difficulty of such planets, it could simply be by over-arching sections in the galaxy. Not like the sectors in the earlier versions, but maybe some massive dust cloud covering twenty stars, or some anomaly that screws over the stars around it and affects the creatures on the orbiting planets *Cough* Darkbound *Cough*. The possibilities are endless.

No ammo - Also been brought up, but this also irks me. Mostly when I dry-fired a bow, and an arrow magically popped up. Scaled arrows and other projectiles using ores and other items would be awesome. Like, arrows with ropes attached to them. Or, arrows that burn for a small time, whether to burn enemies, or to be shot at the ground as a short-term source of emergency heat.

Static Outpost - It just doesn't feel like a rag-tag group of survivors to me. Is it supposed to be? Because it doesn't look like it. Perhaps, as bosses are beat and certain quests are complete, add-ons are created, and the the general quality of certain rooms is increased. Shops could start carrying better items, perhaps more people join? Also, I wouldn't mind seeing the outpost get attacked by some group trying to capture an escapee. Like, the USMC trying to recapture that human guy who claims to have escaped them. Maybe some Avians go on a religious crusade against them for certain members of the outpost denying the existence of Kluex? Again, there are so many awesome possibilities.

All that I can think of at the moment, but other than that, I find the game extremely fun and quite rewarding. A bit simple to reach the end stages, but wicked fun none the less. Definitely one of my favorite games, and the cause of the shrine to TIY I have in the middle of my house. Really, the great things about it outweigh many of the kinks.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  11. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I hate the haters.

12. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

Top 5:

1) There aren't more machines (pistons, especially)
    2) Nothing requires energy sources/batteries
    3) There is no land claiming/protection/reason to build
    4) They removed hunger and temperature
    5) Online hosting is still a nightmare

13. Ripcord24

Ripcord24 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I second that, there just never really seems to be a reason to build a very permanent house or base because your character will always be moving from star to star and it becomes a hassle to have to go back to the same planet everytime to craft something.

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  14. dar601

dar601 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There should be tenants for underground mini biomes, that would be a real challenge!

15. Joseph the wanderer

Joseph the wanderer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

done

Your signature is the best I have EVER seen. +100 respect

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2015
  16. LulItsIan

LulItsIan Pangalactic Porcupine

There's a couple things that really break immersion or weigh heavily on my enjoyment of the game.

1. NPC passivity towards stealing: This needs to be fixed! It breaks immersion completely when I'm in a town or a lone person's house, and they completely ignore the fact that I'm tearing apart their entire house with my matter manipulator. They should attack you, call guards, freak out. Something! I feel like this could be fixed relatively simply; breaking any non-natural block that hasn't been placed by a player should cause nearby NPC's to freak out, shouting "thief!" or something.

2. Lack of final tier challenge: Can we get a mission? Some sort of procedurally generated mega dungeon? Just a placeholder, even. Something that gives you a combat-oriented activity to do at the final tier. Things on Extreme planets stop being a threat when you have the most powerful gear. There should be some place where you can face a lot of action that requires you to have the last tier of equipment.

3. Lack of any developed characters: This seems to be a weird thing to want in a sandbox game like this, but when I was going through the reworked Floran Hunting Party mission, I got a taste of what could be done. While we only see Nuru for a brief mission, you get this sense that she's not like other Floran, and she both challenges and helps you as you go. Can we get a few characters in the Outpost who exhibit this spark of development? The Bounty Hunter kind of has this going on, but I want more--ideally through missions.

STCW262 likes this.
  17. ltn2150

ltn2150 Void-Bound Voyager

though i very much like the Potential of this game i find:

enemy AI = super bad -. chase for days. claw. movement. shoot. repeat won`t escape when low hp or interact any other "hostile npcs"
    More planet variety pls

Bosses really bland and easy.
    Need Moar Bosses and boss exclusive loot

Progression is horrible. Kill X Boss unlock Tier -> grind ores -> repeat
    Lack of customizing my character with cosmetics AND weapon/armor sets
    I Wish hunting monsters meant anything
    Id like weapons and shields to be more balanced instead of shield + sword/dagger = win And instead of End Game Armor = Super Easy Mode
    More useful tech skills would be nice too.
    We need more ways to customize our playstyles
    Random Quests for me is NOT fun
    Maybe a reason to colonize X planet or explore rather then Mine this, grab that [ i luv building either way]
    [I know something is being planned and excited for it huehuehue]

Wish u needed specific items to go specific areas like for diving. Going into Space. Temperature. Hunger...
    Having everything handed to me isn't fun.

Fueling ships = no point currently [ U buy fuel for 1 pixel and thats it... Minor Annoyance at best]
    pls make fueling ships a pain [ so i actually try to fuel it =D ]

Challenge Rooms interesting concept but needs a LOT more expanding [too short and plain. though some challenges are fun]
    Dungeons needs overhaul
    rather bland and not very interesting due to lack of variety, bosses, interesting fights

rather short game atm [ ik its in early access... ]

18. BetaSpectre

BetaSpectre Phantasmal Quasar

The lack of a damage arc for short swords, the inability to use a single hand on all melee weapons, I wouldn't mind it if all weapons take twice as long to use single handed if it meant I could look like a badass.

19. The MechE

The MechE Existential Complex

I dislike how unfriendly the user interface is. It's gotten better, but there's still some issues.

1. no way to sort chests
    2. no way to just select one item from a stack (instead you have to half it and half it again and then half it some more and then yo dawg I heard you like halving things, so we made it so you can't select one and instead need to half half of your inventory and then half it again to eventually get one item).
    Changing subjects to the user-friendliness of modding, and more specifically JSON and Lua,

JSON is more friendly than LUA. I will give them that, but...who wants to make a dungeon with the current JSON and some third party paint program like GIMP? I'm sure there's some people out there, but I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess most people don't want to create blocks that way. Even CF doesn't want to do it which is why they modified tiled. GUI ftw

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  20. ganessaroland

ganessaroland Pangalactic Porcupine

this just depends on what kind of computer you are using and how old it or the hardware/software is. maybe you should try saving your starbound files to a flash drive and getting a new computer.