We're back

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

One of my favorite sci fi novel series has planetary drives in it - technology to propel entire planets as ships, albeit at only a fraction of light speed, but it's still pretty cool - the race who used them had entire planets in their "planetary" fleet dedicated to farming! :]

2. Mogg

Mogg Pangalactic Porcupine

Bugga. I'm working backwards. If I read this my ealrier comment would not have been written :rofl:.

Change one thing and it throws everything else out of balance. Seems about right. I know that feeling well. :rofl:

Mining is dull but not really due to not finding stuff. I found (even in Terraria shame on me for mentioning it) mining was more to obtain blocks and ore. It was boring because when a project requires hundreds of blocks (or ore), with the rate at which you mine... I don't really want to find myself staring at monsters all the time. It makes the process of collecting resources even slower. Yes, I am aware there are plans for tools that dig bigger areas, and I eager and happy await for them (including big machines that can harvest a lot of blocks at once). I have a HUGE project I will be working on in game, without cheats or an editor. A planet that is just one massive city with many interactive locations and functions (hoping there will be NPC quest hubs you can add to homeworlds). I keenly await for a stable build that wont wipe my long term home planet development.
    Then all I need is for a way to back up this planet so I can hand it to others that want to explore it (and so I wont lose it in case of computer failures).

Good that prgression wont just be kill the next boss, ala Terraria.

Msyteries would be sweet. Space detetcives :)

3. Esrevinue

Esrevinue Void-Bound Voyager

CAN'T WAIT! :party:

4. Jikkuryuu

Jikkuryuu Space Hobo

I got a little inspired, incoming wall of text:

Firstly, these are concepts that I've only thought one or two layers deep at most and it may be the case that all of these are useless.
    Secondly I'm catching up on weeks of blog posts and this one happened a month ago, I'm aware that these are probably completely irrelevant but I put some effort into this and I want to post it. (and you can't stop me :p)

Recharging protection - Protection is reduced by use, similarly to the new energy system.
    -It could recharge rapidly but be reduced roughly equal to the damage it's preventing, so things take more damage but only as long as they keep taking damage.
    -Alternately protection could recharge at a slower rate and be reduced equally by all damage sources, so a machine gun dealing low damage would wear down defenses and quickly overcome the armour. Melee weapons would also reduce protection but they'd already be dealing more of their damage from the start and would see less change overall.

Percentage based protection - 100 damage is reduced by 20% to 80, 2 damage is reduced by 20% to 1.6
    Wouldn't really work with the way the game is balanced, but it would more or less solve the gun damage problem directly.

Threshold based protection - A bullet-proof vest isn't designed to protect against mosquitoes. -Damage under a certain threshold isn't reduced, or is reduced to a minimum value. 100 damage is reduced by 80 to 20, but 15 damage isn't reduced.

Variance (deviance?) based protection - The further an attacks power is from the armours defense, the less it is reduced.
    -Protection 50 vs Attack 50 = 0-5 damage, Protection 50 vs Attack 25 or 75 = 25.
    -Or possibly a double-standard where stronger or weaker attacks have different scaling. A bullet-proof vest that won't stop a rolling boulder will stop a small hammer just fine vs High-tech fabrics designed to catch an armour-piercing round which might not do much to absorb a hammer blow.