1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Weekly Pixel-Off

Discussion in 'Art' started by pigrocket, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dude, that's beauteous. You could turn it into a website layout for yourself. Get some sexy parallax in there.

2. I'm honestly surprised nobody is exploiting the color green.

3. It ain't too late.

4. imrevned

imrevned Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What's parallax?

5. It's what you call the function in a game when objects further in the background move slower than objects in the foreground, creating the illusion of depth. Here's an example.
    http://www.nicalis.com/

imrevned likes this.
  6. imrevned

Ahh, how does it work in 3D games?

And I love that effect! :D

7. The unfortunate 'short end of the stick' of Parallax comes when a drawing or a piece of work has each of its depth layers connecting with one another. Imagine you're standing on a giant cashew[foreground], and on the background, there is another giant cashew. Both cashews are connected by a bridge, making them linked together. Creating a parallax would be difficult in this case because each areas of the bridge have to move at a different velocity, forcing it to distort the more the camera moves away from the bridge. Unless the other end of the bridge was part of the foreground, you'd have a hard time. I wouldn't say it's impossible, because it's definitely doable.

Nnnnnuuh. Unless I somehow managed to fit in 214 frames of animation, each being fully colored and shaded, each being 1920x1080 in aspect ratio, into 8 hours. In that case it might not be too late.

blind sniper, pigrocket and Seajun_ like this.
  8. 3D rendering involves a lot of trigonometry.

9. Entry (WIP)
    [​IMG]
    ... I think I may have bitten off more than I could chew lol. Considering the time remaining, I probably shouldn't have made my canvas this big (especially since I started a bit late into the week). However, your massive entry muxuan tempted my hand and I wanted to give ya a challenge on equal grounds. Not too sure I'll be able to finish this today at this rate, but... regardless, kudos to the participants so far! And my apologies for leaving this possibly unfinished. =w=;

10. FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

I personally loved this challenge but found myself without the ability to come up with an idea :wut:

11. I'm still surprised nobody used green.

pigrocket and imrevned like this.
  12. imrevned

You should make one when the idea comes up, it was really fun working with the idea and I will probably do another piece in the future :p

I did at first, but then made it a blue-ish tint because I wanted to reflect it being nighttime more.

13. muxaun

muxaun Subatomic Cosmonaut

What's so special about green color?
    The green does not fit any landscape IMO. Look:
    spiralG.png

I also used greens previously for this:
    Undiscoverable32_pitchBlack.gif
    But I don't like posting pieces that weren't done within the challenge week.

Seajun_ likes this.
  14. The thing about green [or at least, for me] is that it's quite difficult to use. Green seems to be a really difficult color to choose your color palette with, especially with landscapes because environmental perspective seems to make them more aquamarine than green, which is why I was really wanting to see a green entry.

Green along with Yellow is also really messy to paint with traditionally. Green because of its oddly-colored mutes and yellow because of its inherent value. But that's offtopic.

EDIT: The forums is trolling me by not posting my previous reply, making me write another. And then as soon as I'm done, poof it appears! Curse you forums

Seajun_, pigrocket and Mianso like this.
  15. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

I think green suits your landscape nicely, I like it even better than the original! :D

16. I like the red-orange better, It makes the sky and the ground look hazy. Plus, it looks like a sunset, which is always nice.

Mianso and imrevned like this.
  17. beebot83

beebot83 Big Damn Hero

Well I suppose there could be somewhere that greens could be useful. I like to to visualize greens used in toxic environments.

18. Congrats to our winner muxuan. Ever the underdog.
    New theme in the OP, celebrating the end of a season.

Seajun_ and imrevned like this.
  19. imrevned

ENTRY
    [​IMG]
    It's the "Kame House" (from DBZ) in a bowl :)

Edit: Improved the perspective.

20. FrostyFawx

FrostyFawx Void-Bound Voyager

Summer large.png
    dis piece 3deep6u.
    Just a trespasser on a private beach and police crab. (not really.)

Tectal and imrevned like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.