1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Weekly Pixel-Off

Discussion in 'Art' started by pigrocket, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoonyJello

MoonyJello Existential Complex

Sketch Mushroom
    The Sketch Mushroom is a power up that transforms Mario into Sketch Mario.
    Sketch Mario can cling onto backdrop walls and move along them horizontally and vertically to avoid enemies and reach hidden areas and blocks. You can only use the power once and once you return from the wall you'll return to Small Mario.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is a simple recolor, but it's more the power up itself I like really.

Or

Bulb Flower
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A Bulb Flower lets Mario transform into Light Mario when he uses it. This reveals hidden blocks and gives Mario the ability to lighten up dark areas in the Haunted House and Underground levels. When Light Mario executes a Spin Jump, it gives more light for a few seconds. It also makes Boos flee making it easier for Haunted House levels.

Which one is better?

Seajun_, zychore, Mianso and 2 others like this.
  2. rosett

rosett Scruffy Nerf-Herder

:eek: missed the monster girls, fakemon, and opulent swords theme.........

:cry:

Mario powerups, huh... ... ... Yeah, I've got no ideas. Shoulda taken that nap earlier, look at me derping and posting something without art in it, yeesh...

pigrocket likes this.
  3. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

Is it okay to use a reference or a template? I can't seem to make the cap of the mushroom right.

4. MoonyJello

Yes you can

5. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

Gimp has that weird thing where it blurs your pixels though :/ I hate that.

6. ....Antialiasing? You can turn that off.

Mianso likes this.
  7. MoonyJello

You're doing it incorrectly. You're talking about resizing right?

8. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

No what astroblast said. I guess I'm an idiot xD

AstroBlast likes this.
  9. It's fine, you'll get used to the program!
    It took me a while to learn Paint.NET, and theres still many features I don't use/understand.

10. MarioMushrrom Trans'd.png
    Speed Shroom: Doubles Mario's speed allowing him higher jumps that go for longer distances and dashing through enemies at high velocity.

Seajun_, Mianso, blind sniper and 3 others like this.
  11. ImmortalFrog

ImmortalFrog Oxygen Tank

Wait... isn't there something like that in Mario Forever? It's a fan game so I'm not really sure but there is definitely a green ball power up that does that.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zis iz mah entrah!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Makes you fabulous.

Evangelion and Seajun_ like this.
  12. Another Muffin theme! We're so lucky.

Angry Muffin likes this.
  13. Suggestion: Put the name of the person who makes the week's theme in the OP
    (for people who want to know whose art they could win and don't want to look through recent posts).

pigrocket likes this.
  14. MoonyJello

Nice job Angry Muffin!

A quick question, are these judged more off of the actual idea of the sprite or the quality of the sprite? I really haven't been spending much time on the sprites themselves, I've just been focusing on the actual creativity, but if I'm more likely to win if I work more the the image I'll do that.

Angry Muffin likes this.
  15. People seem to 'like' for whatever reason, so I'm not really sure.

zychore and Mianso like this.
  16. MoonyJello

Oh, I thought you picked the winner, I didn't realize we did with the likes.

17. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Yeah. I do that too.

Seajun_ likes this.
  18. centor111

centor111 Cosmic Narwhal

I think it works like reddit, who ever has something on the front page when everyone is looking wins (posts close to end and is good gets the win.)

Edit: what did I just say....... :(

19. "I think it works like Reddit, whoever has something on the front page when everyone is looking wins. (Meaning, if you post close to the end and your entry is good you're more likely to win, because more people will see it)"

Did I fix it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.