Waterfalls

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by x6snake6x, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Ruban Crusade

Ruban Crusade Pangalactic Porcupine

interesting question. If the waterfalls go up due to gravity...wouldn't you? o_O

2. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

Hmm. . . Tungsten Tetrafloride has a density of 1.3 grams per cubic centimeter which means that water would float, maybe that's a way that you'd not float, as long as you have some heavy armor on.

Aussieclone likes this.
  3. Ruban Crusade

Ah! Now we're getting really interesting! I've seen a few threads on various gases and liquids that could exist with properties other than the existing (known) ones in game. This would be a perfect addition to some of those threads...

4. Pseudoboss

Good thought, i'll go track the most active one down and post it there.

5. elementaldragon

elementaldragon Industrial Terraformer

i think that the source background block block would work but instead of flowing into background it's water disipears after X seconds

6. ancientterror

ancientterror Poptop Tamer

i think terraria's solution is quite elegant for this purpose, have the waterfalls behave like background items[​IMG]

7. elementaldragon

in terraria they made waterfalls that look different

8. elementaldragon

[​IMG]

this idea would work but i think instead of flowing out into the background
    it would dissipate into nothingness after X seconds.
    X would change according to how big the cliff by the source (Y).
    this is implying that waterfalls are a mini biome.
    maybe it could be made of lava/acid/water.
    if it were a mini biome then it could have another form, and that is that
    it had a cave behind it.

donfonni and Xenalith like this.
  9. ancientterror

seems to me that an infinite source of water would fill the entire map given time

Ruban Crusade and Xenalith like this.
  10. Pseudoboss

But water disappears into empty background blocks already, so an infinite source of water is necessary to keep the entire planet from drying up because some ass dug a hole in the bottom of the ocean (using adminhacks).

11. ancientterror

alright, i wasn't aware that infinite source blocks were being used, so fair enough

Pseudoboss likes this.
  12. elementaldragon

no after x seconds the block of water would just disepear.

13. Ruban Crusade

that would defeat the point of the block and the waterfall would cease to exist.....

14. elementaldragon

no you still don't get it.
    the background block that spawns the water stays there, but the certain block of water it makes disipears after x seconds, therefore
    the water would fall down the cliff making a waterfall but after x seconds whatever water that block had created would completely stop existing. ( but only the one block that was created x seconds earlier.)

15. elementaldragon

oh and maybe on hot planets without much lava could have waterfalls that dried up and don't make water.
    (so it just had the shape of a waterfall but didn't make water)

16. Ruban Crusade

Oh, that makes more sense.
    They said there will be (and I've seen) lots of different liquids. I would think they could do the same with each.

17. gadget3

gadget3 Orbital Explorer

I feel like this would cause some major water mechanics issues. They have a good system right now, but adding in an infinite water source could really break some of those mechanics. One in the background would be nice though.

18. Primetactics

Primetactics Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I agree, it would add more 'life' to the scenery!

19. donfonni

donfonni Tentacle Wrangler

Ideally it should rain occasionally and pool up naturally in certain areas and if a large amount of water is pooled up above a small hole, then water falls would happen naturally or you would be able to create them. I really don't like the idea of a virtual source that can't be interacted with realistically. Geysers are an awesome idea though.

Maybe water disappears due to evaporation based on surface area such that a shallow puddle will dry up but a a large pool will not... and of course it would disappear if it comes in contact with the molten core, possibly causing steam so hot it damages players in the vicinity.

All that said, there are alot of other, less complicated features I'd prefer the devs to be working on .

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  20. crazygamer2255

crazygamer2255 Phantasmal Quasar

this, this is how it should 100% be implemented, its perfect, its flawless...