Waterfalls

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by x6snake6x, Apr 23, 2013.

1. PurpleSquirel43

PurpleSquirel43 Pangalactic Porcupine

Why not?

2. Joshua Williams

Joshua Williams Void-Bound Voyager

A quick solve would be that the source (spring or source tile, which ever) which has a certain coordinate on the planet only produces either to its own elevation or to a set elevation, then you could have them appear only above or below a certain level and you could have a radius of how far it can push water. I mean there are a huge number of things to look into here but you could have it so if the source gets submerged or just touched by a different source's water then it stops feeding its own and just becomes part of the existing stream, im not a picture guru so I hope the words paint it clear enough. Having a saturation measure so that if it pushed out X amount of water or lava or kool-aid or whatever that it would draw from the existing pool, so if you refer to the above graphic, (not the one of snorlax) that any water pool within a certain distance of the spring becomes its "fuel" and if you reroute it away the source will die until it has water within its radius. That way no water worlds accidentally happen.

3. Joshua Williams

That also means that the water on a planet is finite which is realistic. And that it just won't bog down the planet with excess data and physics of absurdly spawned water and make that planet a graphic engine's nightmare.

4. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

Waterfalls would be nice, but I would really love to see the water go from being a flowing stream to separating into droplets as it falls, Both Minecraft and Terraria don't really do that, and it's kinda unsatisfying to make a waterfall because of it.

x6snake6x likes this.
  5. Joshua Williams

when you see a waterfall in the real world it isnt droplets, at least not huge ones, and to be honest that level of detail on something so. and lets be honest here, arbitrary as waterfalls is unwarranted.

6. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

When I see a waterfall, it sure as hell doesn't look like this:
    [​IMG]

Or this:
    [​IMG]

All I ask is that after water falls or freefalls a certain number of blocks, that the texture changes to one of small, white droplets, and perhaps the loop changes from being the bubbling of flowing water to the roar of a waterfall.

7. Joshua Williams

haha fair enough my friend

8. posha85

posha85 Tentacle Wrangler

i like the idea of foreground waterfalls you have to climmb somehow, which also brings up the idea of cliffs. signifacantly sized, they would be a challenge for the player to overcome with whatever gear they have found.

9. Starfinder

Starfinder Big Damn Hero

This would actually be a rather great idea, Waterfall implimentation would be rather cool to see, how it's done, idk, but as awesome as Chucklefish is, they can basically do anything :)!
    A background waterfall would look nicer however, yes.

10. Starfinder

Starfinder Big Damn Hero

Ninja Ropes man, Ninja Ropes, which indeed are implimented.

Ruban Crusade likes this.
  11. Ewan

Ewan Orbital Explorer

Why not mine trough it like you would do with Mountain that you cent climb? Or under it... or build a lather and climb over it... there is so many possibility's...

12. Starfinder

Starfinder Big Damn Hero

Not to be mean, but i found sooooo many grammer errors in what i just read. i can correct a few..
    *Through, *can't, *ladder and the first sentence kinda makes sense, but then again, it doesn't.

posha85 and Ewan like this.
  13. Ewan

Ewan Orbital Explorer

>_< sorry, i was in hurry when i wrote it, and English is not my native language.

14. Starfinder

Starfinder Big Damn Hero

:eek:..ohh, ok, sorry about that then

15. Anchorshag

Anchorshag Tentacle Wrangler

I don't understand the argument that they would "get in the way" when it's just water falling off a cliff. If the water wasn't there you'd still have a cliff, which you would just stack blocks next to or tunnel under anyway.

Don't do this. Don't be the grammar police, please.

16. Starfinder

Starfinder Big Damn Hero

lo
    lol, i didn't realize he spoke a diff. language, so don't comment on that.

17. Senshiro

Senshiro Void-Bound Voyager

The way I see it, waterfalls mean hidden treasures behind it.

Yanazake likes this.
  18. Ruban Crusade

Ruban Crusade Pangalactic Porcupine

I think when people say "foreground", they mean *in front of* the character, not on the same level of. And even if it was on the same level, I can't imagine it would be blocking terrain...I'd think it'd be like a vertical "platform" (like the stairs, but straight up) where you could go through it still...

19. xKatzZ

xKatzZ 2.7182818284590...

You could make it like in minecraft, where the water keeps flowing, untill you mess with the source block. That would be a little unrealistic, but it is an option. :p
    Maybe waterfalls could use the pressure system? Like under the lake, there would be a small tunnel leading up to the cliff, so the water would flow endlessly?
    Of course this would look kinda stupid if you could see the tunnel, but maybe it could work. :)

Btw i think this is an awesome idea. It would look awesome, and it would also add a nice background sound whenever near one.
    U have my like :)

20. Oraiu

Oraiu Cosmic Narwhal

Maybe
    On some planets,the gravity causes the waterfall to go up, making a upside-down waterfall.