1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Was the Starbound in Pre-Alpha comment for real?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bacon, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZanVaelius

ZanVaelius Existential Complex

Quite so.

And nothing that devs said until now actually contradicts this point. They have 4 months and 6 days until the end of the year. They are working pretty much 24/7 on the game. Thus there is high chance that the beta of the game will be released in AD MMXIII

2. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

Um, I used the exact language that the devs used. No misinformation given.

3. Nohar

Nohar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I give you an official statement, and that's your answer? Charming.

4. Aiuron

Aiuron Void-Bound Voyager

riseoflegends likes this.
  5. Dtho_47

Dtho_47 Star Wrangler

6. I will update the first post with this so everybody sees. :alien:

7. Ferigad

Ferigad The Number of the Minibeast

If they would stop to add every week a new feature, maybe it would be closer to beta allready. I really like that "Oh we got every week a new nice idear" but please! There comes a point where you have to stop tinkering with the core and move an, otherwise we will really dont get a beta or even a release this year. And i wouldnt give mutch to the pre-alpha, alpha talk etc... pp. They just cant afford to call it beta, but i bet they call it internal all the time a beta :p for themself xD

T-Bone Biggins and Harthouse like this.
  8. Cosmin Negoita

Cosmin Negoita Phantasmal Quasar

Lies! All lies! We're in Pre beta alpha alpha.

9. pythonxz

pythonxz Industrial Terraformer

As long as they don't let feature-creep get them down, I'm fine with what their doing.

10. Dominuskaiser

Dominuskaiser Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ok so it's in alpha...wait a second..so are we pre-beta or alpha...?

Programmerbartwe 10 points 4 hours ago

It was stage nerves on my end, pre-beta is the right term for the current state. I was completely stressed out, altough it might not show on the video, because the server was crashing badly only 5 minutes before we went live.

11. Miyuki

Miyuki Sandwich Man

Except alpha, or whatever comes before beta is exactly the point where new features are to be added and tested thoroughly internally. Developing core features in as much in parallel as possible is much better than doing it in series, where each new added series could inexplicably break a number of earlier features. That would also mean having to go through a separate alpha stage during beta before publicizing a patch and that becomes tedious and time consuming really fast. Post release content patches and such have a similar development cycle for a good reason. It doesn't help at all to first make a bare bones "game" just for the sake of having an open beta to meet the by the end of 2013 deadline or to satisfy impatient customers, only to start adding the bare minimum of features that makes the game special, unique and visually nuanced and pleasing as intended, in as late a stage as beta.

Wouldn't you be much more peeved as a player if you're getting used to playing with just having the bare minimum during beta, but then constantly having lots of new small features, or a large bunch of them with greater delays being added that most likely reset your "progress" every time a new patch arrives, just because the new features weren't supported by earlier versions or wouldn't save properly. Looking at the recent updates, these would include as basic things as weapon and armor power curves through tiers, or having your item locations in inventory and hands being sorted out properly and saved from one game to another. Having to add something as seemingly simple as a separate inventory for materials could become much more problematic in a later stage.

12. like00111

like00111 Zero Gravity Genie

Another two years later... Beta is released guys!

There is a fine line between taking your time and actually working smartly about something to release what you told us.

13. Dynamicus

Dynamicus Space Penguin Leader

"Member Since: Tuesday"
    Let me get one thing straight; you want a rushed, half done release which is filled to brim with bugs over a few weeks of waiting? Please.

14. like00111

LOL cute, because I finally joined the forums tuesday means I can't follow the game before then? I like your logic good sir.

15. Dynamicus

Why, thank you! It is lovely when people come up with that excuse!

16. like00111

Ahh, I almost forgot you can see into everyones lives and tell what they have and haven't been doing. Shame on me. You caught me red handed, darn! :chrono:

17. Dynamicus

Indeed! I am a magician of highest powers! And for the exact same reason, I said "a few weeks" instead of "a few days" in my first post! Muahahahaha!

Ahem. Mind ending this pointless argument? I'd rather attend to some other posts.

18. like00111

Sure bro. :rofl: You are just to smart for me!:giggle:

19. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

20. Miss Andry

Miss Andry Cosmic Narwhal

you guys make me ashamed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.