1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Was the Starbound in Pre-Alpha comment for real?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bacon, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeonLandford

LeonLandford 2.7182818284590...

I know, and im not mad or anything, i understand why they would do that. But that pissed a lot of people, it seems. My only complaint about this whole thing is that the game plays a lot more like Terraria than i though it would. Hopefully its not a bad thing.

2. Nohar

Nohar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oooh? Welcome to the club then. Don't worry though, after years of practice you won't worry anymore about that.

3. ZanVaelius

ZanVaelius Existential Complex

True :rofl: I actually had to write my BA in English ( which is not my mother tongue) and it was not that much of a disaster, as the corrections my supervisor made were sparse :D

DrPhibes likes this.
  4. Adinxs

Adinxs Big Damn Hero

Just talking hypotheticals here, what does everyone think the backlash would be if Chucklefish did not release the beta this year?

5. Nohar

Well, like I said in page 2, I think Chucklefish is in a lose-lose situation. Whatever their choice, they are going to disappoint some people. Though, I really hope that I will be proven wrong.

6. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

I'm still hoping the game will have a beta or a demo or just SOMETHING we can play before 2014. The game doesn't need to be complete or bug free, I just want to play it this year.

Pingeh likes this.
  7. Adinxs

Adinxs Big Damn Hero

Christ, Chucklefish is fucked

8. Half

Half Industrial Terraformer

Let's just face it... Half-Life 3 is going to have it's 4th episode before Starbound finally releases. o3o

9. OzzytheFist

OzzytheFist Big Damn Hero

The only problem I have with that post is that the game *doesn't* seem to be in alpha. It really does look like it's in pre-beta, post-alpha stages. That demo wasn't lacking any features that would make the game unplayable at all. Would I say it's near full release? Not even close, but to say it's pre-alpha? Heresy. Alpha? Questionable at best.

They're already past the point of lose-lose, though. Their best option as I see it is to release a beta this year and postpone full release to sometime next year, possibly next summer.

10. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

questionable; they only had tier one, if we got the game now we would feel no progression.
    just imagine playing the entire game with only one boss to look forward to, you would feel like the game fell flat. the bugs like "gun to grass" can be a real problem and that build the yogscast where using was worked on like crazy.

we will get beta this year though, that is promised.

11. Nohar

Bartwe was the one who said that the game was in "Pre-alpha". According to Wikipedia, a game is in its Alpha stage when features are still added to the game (which is the case: bosses are still being added, vehicules are still missing, we only saw tiers 1 gameplay, etc.), and when said game is still unstable (which is also the case: yesterday, the game crashed twice while doing space travels).
    While I agree that the term "Pre-Alpha" seems used wrongly (still according to Wikipedia), there's no question that the game is in Alpha stage, and doesn't seem to be ready for the Beta stage for a while.

4verse likes this.
  12. That is the thing. There are 10 Tiers in this game, and only the First is being finished. There is no progression at this moment, and the next tier stuff is still on the works, Tier 2 is coming soon, but the others are heavily a WIP. Only that shows they have a lot of work to do till the actual playable experience of this game.
    Remember that the Tier 1 Boss we saw today took more than 1 month till ready for be shown today, so they will be madly working on all the others left. :cautious:

13. DrPhibes

DrPhibes Pangalactic Porcupine

Reminds me of the time I spent helping my sister with her dissertation. (97 Pages, my sister hates English and I know jack about botany).

A small excerpt: "Aim of the present thesis was to analyse hydrochory (dispersal by water), its partial processes and their effects on species diversity in riparian landscapes. Single steps of hydrochorous dispersal (seed transport, deposition, germination and establishment) were regarded for the colonisation of riparian habitats with respect to their function as seed source as well as ecological filter. Quality, quantity and germination ability of seeds transported in the river or deposited with sediments or drift lines took centre stage in the investigations. Also the seasonal dynamic of hydrochorous transport and coherences with (extreme) flooding events as well as (morphological and ecological) species traits, which are assumed to enhance species ability for hydrochorous seed dispersal, were investigated."

14. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

During the event they said they're aiming for beta this year, full release next year.

They've pushed back the full release date again.

dizz, OzzytheFist and Pingeh like this.
  15. The option is first the beta this year, when all people happy and dancing, keep updating the beta and people will not get mad, as they are finally ready they announce the final release date.

But the best for end all this madness for once is ANNOUNCE the Beta Launch, at least ~1 month before it starts so people can stop wondering and running around in circles and actually have a date to wait and be hyped for.

16. Dominuskaiser

Dominuskaiser Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would be pleased to play a demo such as that one that Yog. played, just to test the game and get our hands on it for even an hour gameplay or at least an alpha release as some games are doing now,since it seems this whole pre-alpha comment made alot of people mad and seemed to extend alot the whole "its gonna be released soon!",most thought it was gonna be released this month or next one...guess not.

17. OzzytheFist

They also said that tier 1 would make a solid base for the rest of the tiers to be quickly built upon. So what's wrong with that being a part of the beta process? That honestly feels like a good place to test things that could be in upper tiers.

Also, to Nohar. When they say "features" it is a different concept from "content" itself. If the game is functioning as intended and the mechanics are in play (as we've seen they are) it has its features.

Sousuke Kuroda likes this.
  18. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

I can't believe there's a four page thread on this.

1. Bart saying "pre-alpha" seemed a clear joke to me.
    2. Pre-alpha is planning stage, i.e. pre-development/very early development. Clearly not where the game is at.

I swear, if a dev sneezes, this forum interprets it as a sign of apocalypse. Get a grip, people.

WILF2007 likes this.
  19. OzzytheFist

I don't think you understand. The looks on both of their faces showed more disagreement than joke. They can easily come in to ease minds, but haven't been around to do so or have chosen not to.

20. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

a dev sneezed??
    oh god it's all over!
    the game'll never be released since all the devs caught super-death!
    how can we go on now?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.