1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Variety is the spice of the Universe 1.0.1.1 for Enraged Koala

Over 50+ new biomes, 10+ new weather types, new music & more

1. Karmos

Karmos Space Penguin Leader

I'm really impressed by your work on this mod, Dracyoshi. It's not something I've installed at this point, but I think the concept is brilliant and your execution good based on what I've seen. Your effort is especially commendable given how little attention biome mods seem to get, what with planetgen.config incompatibilities etc.

2. Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

I am waiting for the next patch (plus mod update to work with it, heh) before I install it, but I agree. Awesome work Dracyoshi. :D

3. Darkly

Darkly Void-Bound Voyager

Yep, that'd be the one, thanks for the help.

4. asdflkj

asdflkj Space Hobo

fix ur generator

close + atmosphere still can be warm or cold
    close + no stmosphere = hot , to warm
    far + atmosphere = warm to cold
    far + no atmosphere = cold to ice

having atmosphere keep temperature of planet to one where life can exist on this planet

5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i just played this mod and woooooooooow

i cant beleve this isnt in the game yet
    and all those other mods that got added are
    this is sooo gooood

your mod neeeds to be in the game

you even fixed ocean biomes and the devs couldnt even do that
    chucklefish hire this man (or woman didnt bother checking)

6. Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

I'm waiting for the next patch before I install this...but...have you considered what kind of star they're around?

I'm not sure if the mod author did this, but logically speaking the type of star would likely indicate what sort of heat it puts out at what distance. :)

7. Raindrac

Raindrac Existential Complex

Are you talking about how the temperature of a star affects nearby planets biome, or how the temperature of an atmosphere-less planet isn't affected by the sun? If it's because it's cold on moons even when the moon is right next to a planet, it's primarily because it adds a gameplay element to moons. Not having freezing cold on moons would remove an aspect of survival on them. I know about the space is cold trope btw.

Yeah, I did that.

Close | ~66% chance for a hot planet, ~33% chance for a warm planet
    Normal | ~33% chance for a hot planet,~ 33% chance for a warm planet,~33% chance for a cold planet
    Distanced | ~66% chance for a cold planet, ~33% chance for a warm planet.

Before beta 2.0, it was...

Close | 100% chance for a hot planet
    Normal | 100% chance for a warm planet
    Distanced | 100% chance for a cold planet

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  8. ahappydude

ahappydude Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wanted to tip you to try the colonies mod , its a great wonder to start your own settelments on your many different planets from your mod;)
    cheers

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  9. MustardOrc

MustardOrc Void-Bound Voyager

Hello. I was using your mod and trying to make a base underwater in the ocean planets but when i tried remove the water from the base, certain places would be blocked off by randomly appearing sand that stopped the water from draining. Even if all areas were blocked off to the infinite ocean background, it still happened. Just thought you should know as it makes making underwater bases impossible. Other than that good mod :) Love to see it implemented into the final game

10. Raindrac

That's actually a vanilla bug, but I can fix it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73375446/Variety is the spice of the Universe - 2.0.3 Beta.zip

Here is a hotfix for ya. I'll upload the patch to the Nexus in a few minutes.

11. Raindrac

12. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

are you going to make magma biomes work more like ocean ones like they are sopost too?
    that would be super cool if you fixed that seeing how you fixes the ocean ones
    oh and make them more commen cus right now they are very rare x-x
    (then again it might be rng being rng

13. Raindrac

Probably just RNG, they have the same rarity as volcanic biomes.

[​IMG]

And I actually did do this before. But I didn't implement it because...

1) Beaming down into lava, pretty much an unpreventable death and it happens 80% around of the time.
    2) "Ocean lava" doesn't actually emit light upon initial generation.

More pictures of the test from last week: http://imgur.com/a/4qKDN

So the ball is in Chucklefishes court to fix that bug now.

EDIT: OH RIGHT! They're also restricted to the Delta sector and not the Gamma sector. Volcanic biomes are Gamma, Magma is Delta.
    EDIT: EDIT: Man these forums are slow right now...

14. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

thats disapointing, oh well

you should talk to chucklefish to get this mod into the game

it would be so cool, i like alot of your biomes

swampland is one of the ones that would blend into vanila perfictly

15. Raindrac

I don't want to bother the devs over it. If they ask I'll accept, perhaps split off certain parts of the mod if they request.

By the way, opinions required!
    I may just remove meteor showers from forests, jungles, grasslands and a few select others. Yes or no?
    I'd have meteor shower modifiers instead, which would result in a more ruined planet. Long exposure to meteor showers on a planet wouldn't mean that a planet would be perfect when you beam down upon it.

16. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

sure i hate meteor showers x-x
    i made a personal mod that makes them olny spawn is astroid feilds olny

17. kodemunkey

kodemunkey Phantasmal Quasar

How about having the meteor shows spawning on volcanic planets? that way there'd be even more of a risk vs reward thing going on.

I came across a jungle planet in vanilla starbound which looks like a tree version of a rose, do you have them in a specific biome? As they make for a great little tree farm for bandages.

18. Raindrac

For meteor showers being on volcanic planets, I could make them spawn more often. Perhaps volcanic eruptions can happen more often too.
    ...That also gave me an idea for the volcanic biome, and that's to boost the amount of ores on volcanic/magma biomes. Currently, there isn't really any reward for going to them. It's dangerous, you mine slow, and it's all around not ideal.

The Toxic Forest biome has the trees which you're talking about, if you want the flowery trees that drop plant fibre.
    As for the actual rose trees which drop wood, they're just a random tree type that can be selected when forest-like planets are generated, like the Mountainous biome and Forest biome. I don't have any biomes which specifically use them, as it'd be redundant if Forest biomes can generate as a rose forest.

19. mister moon

mister moon Void-Bound Voyager

um i did place it the right but inven wen i remove the this mod its stille sayd planetside's error and closed the window i remove all the unives files not the one's need to make more but all the one i have made by the time i have played (sorry i am danish i am not really good at english but try my best hope you get what i say)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  20. kodemunkey

kodemunkey Phantasmal Quasar

Toxic forest, gotcha.