1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Variety is the spice of the Universe 1.0.1.1 for Enraged Koala

Over 50+ new biomes, 10+ new weather types, new music & more

1. ahappydude

ahappydude Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Des if you are running an server the people who play need it to i think, just played with it in singplayer but should work as long as you both have the modfolder =)

2. Raindrac

Raindrac Existential Complex

Make your choice. Both the Normal and Extra Moons versions include every biome. You cannot have both, though.
    I haven't tested the mod serverside yet, but you probably would need to install it both clientside and serverside. The mod introduces some new liquids, backgrounds and trees for world generation purposes.

3. CBWX

CBWX Pangalactic Porcupine

thanks

4. Raindrac

So, progress update!

[​IMG]

Now is the time to suggest biomes. I'm serious about that, too! You see, Chucklefish is planning a "final" character and universe wipe after New Years. Since adding new biomes regenerates the sectors the biome is added to, doing so is essentially a universe wipe if it's an early game biome. It's completely possible that Chucklefish might end up doing another universe wipe due to an accident in the future, but they said this will be the final wipe so I'll be taking their word for it.

I don't want to cause a universe wipe of sorts whenever you update my mod because I added a biome. That's bad, and it prevents me from doing bugfixes when I add a new biome without causing a major wipe.

I'm going to be putting three biomes into the next version as nearly-finished placeholders. Well, two. The swamp is the third, but as you saw above, it's nearly finished.
    • Canyon
    • Metallic
    These biomes will be finished in terrain generation, but the background for them will be a placeholder. Creating the background to a biome takes some time because I'm not particularly good at that, and the parallax system is really easy to mess up.

So, suggest your biomes now. Because unless they're going to be a late game biome, or Chucklefish pulls out another universe wipe after the supposed final wipe, I'll probably be sticking to the following unless you can convince me otherwise.

Vanilla Biomes
    • Arctic
    • Arid
    • Asteroid Field
    • Barren
    • Desert
    • Forest
    • Grasslands
    • Jungle
    • Magma
    • Moon
    • Ocean
    • Savannah
    • Snow
    • Tentacles
    • Tundra
    • Volcanic
    Major Modded Biomes
    • Canyon
    • Crystal Moon
    • Flatlands + Flatlands Sector
    • Flower Field
    • Living
    • Metallic
    • Mountainous
    • Mountainous Snowy
    • Snow Forest
    • Swamplands
    • Tarball
    • Mushroom Forest
    • Crystal Forest
    Micro Modded Biomes
    • Desert | Colorful
    • Forest | Toxic
    • Volcanic | Intense
    • Jungle | Overgrown
    • Snow | Geometric
    • Snow | Ice
    [​IMG]
    And here is a screenshot of the Metallic biomes surface. You cannot breathe on this biome. It's always night on this biome. And it's really cold on this biome. So why would you want to go here? Well, you'll find out.

[​IMG]

And yes, there is no background for it yet either. Since it's always night in the metallic biome though, it doesn't matter too much. I will be getting a biome background for it eventually.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    ahappydude likes this.
  5. SpleedBlitz

SpleedBlitz Aquatic Astronaut

I've got "the rare bug". Is there a fix or do you want the log? And which part?

6. Raindrac

I'd want the log. If you can reproduce the bug, cause the bug again and provide that starbound.log.

As for the fix, I should be able to fix it once I have the log.

7. ibebyi

ibebyi Master Chief

Hi, I recently wrote you saying the barren worlds weren't loading (stuck in FTL), and it does look like it is indeed an issue on chucklefish's end.

I saw a mod pop up today on the main modding site called Barren Worlds Fix, but I've yet to use it as I don't know how it would play with your mod. Do you think you could incorporate the fix into your own mod, or instruct us on how to edit the celestial.config file to add the Barren world fix? Thanks. BTW the link to Barren Worlds Fix is here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/barren-worlds-fix.747/

8. ahappydude

The one that located in the main direcory , and check if you got an mods that maybe interfering with .
    S
    strange but i never had bugs ion any mod launching or making. Hope you get it sorted!

Btw
    Dracyoshi
    , your biomes works great with kals new horiozon mod =) Im trying to think of any biomes to request, maybe a dead star ? Dying star, really hot on the surface and hollow underneath, the occean one is a real nice hcange in the game. Islands biomes? Then me or other modders can add in big seamonsters haha, and a boat of somesort. Hmm will continue to think about them, great work so far!

9. ibebyi

ibebyi Master Chief

I know next to nothing about space but wouldn't a star near the end of its life go supernova and leave behind neutron stars and blackholes? IDK so much about landing on a blackhole biome (something tells me I wouldn't enjoy this too much xD) but perhaps making an iron-rich, neutron star biome wouldn't be TOOOOO much of a stretch of imagination?
    EDIT: NVM on this, I just googled it and apparently the surface of neutron stars are like 200 times hotter than the surface of the sun?? eeeek

As for biome recommendation: planet-sized ships? (think the Death Star). sorry if this has been recommended already :p

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  10. ahappydude

Just an idea mate^^ If you threw in a destroy tile script you could have, lets say one day or more to mine before the surface would crumble and then you would freefall :p Like giant starcruisers? Would be neat to border them haha

ibebyi likes this.
  11. SpleedBlitz

I have a few mods, maybe 10 in total, but none of them should interfere with this one. It's odd.
    As for the log, I know which one you are talking about, but mine is massive, and I wanted to know if you wanted a certain part of it (I wasn't sure if the top was the latest log inputs or the bottom was)
    Edit: Oops this was meant for Dracyoshi D:

12. Raindrac

The entire thing, preferably. Just throw it on www.pastebin.com

[​IMG]

Ooooh!~~~ Spoooky!!!~
    ph3rr3t sent me this linked thread, and I liked some of the biome ideas listed in it. I can say for sure that the volcanic and spooky forest variations will be getting in.
    The Spooky forest is another use of eternal night, and my personal favorite now. It's primary liquid is blood, so blood is no longer only in living biomes! And there is no music. Just wind. It's also covered in dead trees.

EDIT
    So, is this your issue, SpleedBlitz?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  13. SpleedBlitz

No I don't use industrialization, although it looks good.
    I'll give you a list. Everything just goes in mods and doesn't override

Post Nuclear Starbound
    Beauty Blooms
    Better Fuels
    Craftable Guns
    Doge Painting (Don't ask)
    Handmade flares
    modern shields
    planetside mod (not actual planet mod btw)
    stargate mod
    vanity station
    and finally your mod :D

The problem is the hyper speed warp jump thing keeps going. Kinda breaks the game, and I'm not sure about uninstalling variety because I don't know what that will do to the universe already been created/refreshed.

Sorry for such inconsistent late posts

14. debugman18

debugman18 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just letting the author know that the infini-warp is a vanilla bug.

15. Lyra Bennett

Lyra Bennett Astral Cartographer

Are you planning on adding any new underground biomes? That'd be cool.

16. CBWX

can this mod be combatible with the new horizon mod?

17. ahappydude

Yes cbwx works fine here =)

18. CBWX

ok thanks

19. Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Landing on a neutron star biome, as you said...would be pretty much impossible.

That being said...have special biomes on planets around neutron stars that are completely irradiated from the effects of the supernova (yet, the planets still survie)...and also don't have a breathable atmosphere.

This would be a great biome for other modders to later add exotic materials to (things that, y'know, might only come from the region of a neutron star, etc). for crafting interesting super high tech things.

Other options might be a 'scorching' biome where you could overheat (is that possible?) that would be in only really close to a star or in star systems that have super hot stars. There's also the option of an irradiated biome that's not specific to the neutron star, but is specific to 'high output' stars like blue giants.

Hrm...a planet in the vicinity of a black hole (assuming you can add them to the game, that is) could have huge chasms in it (not canyons, but fissures) where you could instantly fall to your death if you're not careful...because the black hole is devouring the planet and ripping it apart like that. There could also be a lot of volcanic activity as the core is being disrupted, etc.

If it's possible to specify things like that, super exotic biomes around exotic stars, in star nurseries, etc would be awesome (have those star systems be randomly generated, but the planets within them would only be a very small subset of potential stars).

There could also be a "Dyson Sphere" biome sort of thing...where you go to a "planet" kind of like the asteroid belt that's actually a dyson sphere encompassing a star and gathering its energy. As such, it would likely not have a breathable atmosphere outside...and it would have a really high frequency of robot/high tech bases on it, as the people who created the sphere would have maintenance crews there, as well as 'squatters' who built their own bases to bootstrap their way into the power system and stuff. What you could do is replace some of the "Can't Land" planet things that planets orbit around with this instead...and if you go to the planets orbiting it, they would instead see the dyson sphere in the distance rather than the star itself.

Those are just some options, though...I'm not sure if it's even feasible. ^^

ahappydude likes this.
  20. Raindrac

I could, yes. I just don't have many ideas for underground biomes right now. If you have any, feel free to pass them on over.

Overheating: Not possible yet, as modders can't create new status effects right now. They seem to be hardcoded from my understanding. A workaround is just setting a player on fire, but there is no way to even put out fire right now. Not even water works.

Scorching planets: This might be possible. To do so I'd need to add a new temperature zone to planets, and from being in celestial.config so often it appears that you can define new temperature zones. Without overheating though, I can't see them being much different from normal volcanic planets, assuming they're just extremely hot rocks. I haven't tried this yet though.
    Black holes effecting nearby planets: See the above for how it could be possible. I'd just need to set the "temperature" of black holes to some insanely high amount which no other star type could output, then set biomes in that temperature zone to be black holed versions of normal biomes. Again. I'm not sure if that's possible, I'd have to experiment.

[​IMG]

Complimentary biome picture: Wastelands. There really isn't much else to them.

ahappydude likes this.