Upcoming combat changes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I have install the unstable version to get it the quickly as possible.

2. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

As long as melee attacks aren't aimed using the mouse, I'm okay with it. Aiming melee with the mouse would be a step backward, not forward. In fact, I'd say that even ranged weapons shouldn't be aimed with the mouse-- I'd prefer to see more old-school jump-and-shoot action with attacks that can only be aimed in eight directions because it would increase the value of projectiles with arcs or splitting effects. The fact that body armor increases maximum health is a scaling nerf to all healing items and gets very inconvenient in late-game, and the actual amount of benefit that higher defense numbers give is still not very transparent (in part because body armor also effects max health). There are only four types of mobs: Flying, Swimming, Walking, and Crawling. That won't be enough variety, even if body parts will eventually change the creatures' attacks, because four movement modes isn't very much. The developers absolutely need to completely disregard all comments about RPG elements like skill trees that lock you out of alternatives or gathering experience points for skills, since grinding is shallow game design only intended to make the game longer rather than more fun.

At one point in time I expected that Chucklefish would all the best game decisions and basically create exactly what I had originally envisioned. They seemed to be ignoring the bad suggestions, focusing in on the good ones, and making promises for all the right features. However, as it becomes more and more clear exactly HOW they're implementing these features, I see a lot of smaller issues cropping up that I find disappointing. When the full release date finally rolls around it will probably be an excellent game, but I don't expect it to be the same godly glory that I once did.

3. Kyasupah

Kyasupah Pangalactic Porcupine

Yep! Dodging creatures is fun. I play on Permadeath mode exclusively, and have gotten pretty good at staying alive. :viking:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  4. Starbeak87

Starbeak87 Phantasmal Quasar

perhaps it's because I'm a steam newb, or perhaps its that I just don't really fit in with the computer-gaming master race... but I don't see the difference?! Maybe It's not updating for me or something? actually, my starbound launcher screen hasn't changed it's message since I last manually reinstalled it [that was valentine's day update].
    My steam end of it is set to automatically keep it up to date, but I don't think it is?!

5. Upcoming combat changes. They aren't out yet. ;) Also, the launcher will always show the latest stable version, not the version you're running (check the title screen for that).

6. SpitefulFox

SpitefulFox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Monsters being heavier and jumping less? YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Few things in this game have frustrated me more than how useless ranged combat has been due to every last wildlife creature being straight out of The Matrix.

Yzzey likes this.
  7. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

IKR. They dodge stuff like a boss. The devs should add a headshot system, where if you shoot an npc right in the brain..
    "POP"

8. Kyasupah

Kyasupah Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe bonus sneak damage too, if you hit them before they see you..:ninja:

MilkCalf likes this.
  9. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Yeah. Sneaking is another thing. How the heck do they detect me? Their backs were turned, all of them. Sneaking has to be implemented.

10. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

It would imbalance game for meele if - only ranged got special perks

11. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

I am quite sure that they suggest that stuff because apparently game is somewhat unbalanced, favoring melee. Which I am not sure of, though I can say that efficiency of regular melee weapon more than enough makes up for range difference when compared with decent ranged weapon of similar quality.

12. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

There is never an issue when skewing in favor of meele. Because you are more likely to take damage when you are using meele.

When you give range advantage - not only are you more likely to avoid damage, you essentially can create a wall between you and the enemy with a tiny hole and pick away.

13. Perq

Perq Phantasmal Quasar

+1 Also, do this to players :X

14. sleepy123

sleepy123 Big Damn Hero

Yeah. Not that the old style was better but those new monsters stand no chance against a not-so-decent player now. (but hey, it's moving forward anyways)
    I'll keep an eye on updates more than ever.

15. Murderatte

Murderatte Phantasmal Quasar

I somewhat like that a player move slower and feel heavier too (depending on gravity of course). But I want it so that a planet needs to have a lot of open caverns that are worth exploring and not just for trekking a planet surface and moving on. The fast trekking for surface loot is so mind numbing that I needed to stop playing for a month just to get my interest back.