[UNSTABLE] Update March 19, 2014

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perq

Perq Phantasmal Quasar

^_________^. Too bad I can't the game cuz I have 15 FPS.

2. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

i stop reading when i come across something so far detached from reality that it causes me to doubt the poster even understands what they are typing about. i would much rather argue against what i do not agree with.

no, i do not find i really agree with your post, and i definitely do not believe it is even equally as constructive. in fact it weakens the opposition position by purposefully catering to the "blind defenders". you soften your criticism, apparently to not hurt feelings? your "compromise" is not a compromise at all, but a wheedling request.

the devs need criticism that lights a fire in the backsides of their collective pants, not something like "please work harder, if it's not too much trouble!"

in addition, of the last two updates, there has only been two things to actually test, both biomes. the testing seemed pointless because bugs reported mere hours after the unstable update got pushed to the stable release. including a bug that made the advertized "hat of the update" unobtainable.... and also crash the game when the game attemted to generate it.

3. squirrel_killer-

squirrel_killer- Sandwich Man

Saddly I was not aware of that, as that update I was unable to play if I wanted to as my computer was out of commission due to a power outage during a BIOS flash, making it a pain to fix. However as a mod developer on another game, I know exactly how it gets when people get too nasty, it often leads to a lost of moral for me to do any coding at all, or to complete the work before I push an update and say screw it to bug fixes. It doesn't matter if Chucklefish is paid for this or not, they could just all up and quit today and leave us screwed, I have seen it happen before, still, point being, yes these updates are junk, but the other alternative is weeks to months of silence until they complete a collection of features and mechanics before release.

Now honestly I view saying that the game is perfect is absolutely bullshit, however, I find the "blind defenders" to be a group that can't be spoken to because they are blind, so insulting or cracking down on them is a waste of time, however people like you who want to see more content can actually provide something constructive because you see flaws, you want to see more content like everyone else, and you want to see improvement, but you also have the balls to say it. As for not trying to hurt feelings, you are right, I am trying to be diplomatic. And if I worded my admittingly weak compromise how I want it to be I would get a ban hammer hitting me in the face. Ideally what we need here is a list of what we want and the order we want it in, for me it is this:

1. Quest system.
    2. Outposts.
    3. New progression.
    4. Better mobs.
    5. Better loot.
    6. Some quest system polish.
    7. Some outpost polish.
    8. Early-game expansion.
    9. End-game expansion.
    10. The new system for moving between sectors.
    11. Ship building.
    12. Space stations.
    13. The automation ideas I posted above.
    14. More dungeons.
    With small updates like this scattered in between it all. Now I can be sure unless we get everyone here to agree on something like that and form a chanting pitchfork wielding mob, we won't get that by being a bunch of whining brats on the forums here. So rather than bashing be and everyone else for trying to enjoy and take from these updates what we can, start saying what you want from the game how you want it, or shut up. Either be constructive and lead by example, or be an ass and see how little it gets out of the devs. Because to be honest, looking at these forums, I know if I was Chucklefish I would really start considering how much I cared about the opinions of people like you and if I was going to continue putting an effort into this game.

Ciaran_D likes this.
  4. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

dont have time for full reply, but you praise then scorn my brand of criticism?

and not to toot my own horn, but i have been singled out as a template for providing negative criticism. just because i am focusing on you does not mean i have not loudly and often stated what it is i want (and even how to produce it).

7Vec7Zus likes this.
  5. squirrel_killer-

squirrel_killer- Sandwich Man

I wasn't scorning your criticism, I was scorning people who simply won't provide anything constructive with it. I was somewhat using you as an example, but you are not the only one who is negative, the real issue is most people will not provide anything useful with it.

6. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Whoa. It's a flame battle between two anti-flamers, both of whom are flaming each other by saying that the other is flaming them.

FLAMECEPTION.

RenaldiForumStar and The | Suit like this.
  7. redhawk39

redhawk39 Void-Bound Voyager

Have you tried running it in the opengl option yet? I had the same problem when i launched the regular version, but as soon as I did it open gl it ran great

8. 7Vec7Zus

7Vec7Zus Void-Bound Voyager

There has been many threads stating exactly how we feel of the progress we think they should be concentrated on instead of pushing little assets of the sorts. In your original post you say its in beta as most of us are aware. This is not correct. Betas given to the community are mostly feature complete and tested on that principle alone. Starbound is a Alpha in most respects due to that very nature.

Now if you like where the progress is fine.

But remember constructive criticism whether it's looked upon in a negative way or not is feedback to how we the players feel period.
    But their ability not to communicate within the unstable/branch about the placeholders and or the sorts of other mechanics is creating hot topics on the discussion board. As for me - We all invested in their kickstarter. We all have contributed are opinions. We all need to start testing newly developed mechanics and lead the development team on a path of success . If they only listened to the community more effectively we would be getting updates about placeholders and their direction to move forward to remove them. With every post they make creating a timeline and avoiding topics on the forum that get punished by the Right wing/Left wing commuters. Pushing content because it gets finished first doesn't necessarily mean we hate said content. But we have not been given any substantial updates that actually provides a better core gameplay element.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    Perq, Ciaran_D, Aeon and 6 others like this.
  9. Blitzlegion

Blitzlegion Big Damn Hero

You know what I'm thankful for...Pixels. I love pixels. So much.

trillian likes this.
  10. Blitzlegion

11. Blitzlegion

I have also discovered a beautiful post-modern base of underground Ent. Looks like a wild treebeard.......
    Such beautiful
    Such calm
    Such silent
    Suchess Agaran!!
    [​IMG]

12. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

I actually never told you that you were a template for criticism. In fact I told you that your particular brand of criticism won't get you banned.

Honestly, you're negative about things to such an absurd degree and you continously attempt to justify your opinions with "I'm a developer" as if that elevates you to some higher plain of understanding. You've yet to supply information on what games you've worked on however or what your role on those games was.

On top of that you frequently come out with absurd, essentially factually untrue remarks. Such as suggesting our team developing in the same room won't be beneficial, or that our company will be bankrupt by Christmas. Both of which show to me you have absoloutely zero experience of working on a development team and that no company should ever let you anywhere near their finances.

All in all it ads up to my seeing your avatar and immediately skipping your post on the assumption that it's likely driven by a lack of understanding and a desire to set out to be as negative as possible.

You are certainly *not* lighting a fire under anyone's ass and your contribution to the forums tends to derail threads and devolve into pages of petty arguments.

If you're going toot your own horn, please learn to play it first

Garbacca, The Squid, garpu and 38 others like this.
  13. 7Vec7Zus

7Vec7Zus Void-Bound Voyager

Sad. so sad. Real Changelogs sir. And perhaps the removal of these Placeholders. I rest my case. have a beer on me with my 15 bucks. Enjoy.

Madzai, zugz, D-16 and 3 others like this.
  14. Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

Wow, that developer guy is a Jerk. What do I gotta do to get a Jerk badge?

15. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Alright following post is adapted to the... well niveau we, the people thinking negativ on the current situation, received. I am not bothering anymore with lifting the bar of niveau for the same reason as listed below which should be obvious enough. If others dont do something because they are bad at it why should I bother then even with stuff I could be good at? Well, lets move on shall we?

So am I right in the assumption that you dislike negativ criticism Tiy? Am I right in the assumption that you are completly ignoring this Tiy? Proof me wrong by actually proofing me wrong.

Damn it the mold behind your fridge is pretty nasty huh? Some very evil mold humans are, nothing else right? The mold who gave them volunteerly their ressources to support you and your dev team in developing a game which is not even finished. The mold which took the risk of supporting a new company because they thought they would be different? Come on how can you be mad at the us, the <<mold of people>> who just want to know what you guys are doing on the investment they did. Early access is nothing more then investing. And your investors even how moldy and mold like and unimportant they are deserve to know on any progress on the product/idea/concept they invested. At this point I doubt any changes will done in the soon future, or anything else will be done at some point. I hope I will be proven wrong, but I doubt I will be at this point... specially after a post like that.

Reddit is a better community right? For providing always positiv feedback no matter what they do. Thats very satisfying to see that your work is appreciated. Trust me I also prefer positiv criticism over negativ. But I am not ignoring negativ criticism or claiming it to be invalid... I would change my procedures to satisfy people which are unsatisfied with me.

Also if those "absurd, essentially factually untrue remarks" are untrue and not factual (and absurd) as you said... why dont you bother then to proof them as wrong? Are we cockroaches not worth your time or your proofs anymore? Are we nothing more then a nasty bacterial infection in your system? Are you right just because you are the lead developer of the product we invested in so you dont have to provide any sort of proof? If we would be worth your time and all the rest of that what I just said you would have tried disproving us at all... or change the way things work to satisfy those people who are certainly... not satisfied to say the least. Just look at the recent poll vote if people are satisfied with your companies progress... ~50% are unsatisfied, 50% on the damn official forums. Do you have any idea how bad that is? 50% of the people are not happy with progress being made within almost 4 months of developement. On a the official forums, a plattform where people usually want to support their gamedevs and give them feedback... shouldnt that be considered as a serious warning? And to add to this: A good chunk of them doesnt see any progress at all. Sure we got nice little updates and that. But nothing really noteable besides the fact that we do not need any wipes anymore (we will see about that...).

How are your investors supposed to know what you are doing and when the product they purchase will advance without ETAs? Sure 1 or 2 ETAs (or a dozend) backfired already. But I would adapt on the working speed of my tools/human ressources rather then not giving any ETAs anymore because "We are bad at giving ETAs so we wont give any anymore.". If I am bad at something I get better at it and correct myself. And those <<near daily>> updates... Just like to add: They arent even weekly. That wouldnt be too bad if they would have more density of content. And if so they are in most cases featuring some random encounter featuring the Agaran, which are apparently not a side character and more like a maincharacter while the Hylotl and Humans, 2 of the supposed to be main species of the game dont get any work because "Hylotl villages are not on high on the priority list", sure they arent... but apparently a side character is...

Why do I bother putting this up here? Because I guess we got some kind of attention from the devs with the issues we are concerned with. Again I suggest really reading through the most recent poll on the forums. Why do I not provide a link? Because I dont give links anymore because I am bad at it.

And now go ahead, go and buy some fungicid... to fight the mold behind your fridge...

At some point I really hope that Valve removes the whole early access thing on steam... or makes sure that those Devs desiring to go early access have provided already some quality and proven themself to be trustworthy...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
    Beatrice, Madzai, D-16 and 3 others like this.
  16. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Supposedly Marylin Manson tried to do that.
    :rolleyes:o_O:laugh:

Yzzey, Jbeetle, Fiben Bolger and 2 others like this.
  17. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

I want that badge too.

18. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

You need to be a dev and Molly needs to bestow it on you

19. Aeon

Aeon Phantasmal Quasar

So you disregard his claims as false with no proof and provide no proof with your own claims?

Seriously man you are better than this, please don't go down this road.

And if you had the time to make this hateful and unreasonable post you could have spent it better by actually ADDRESSING the concerns of the community. you know actually communicating.

20. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

You know there is such a thing as privacy. Expecting to be given a free reign to look in as if you somehow worked for the government while in fact you are just a no face in a sea of no faces, is silly to say the least/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.