[UNSTABLE] Content Updates & Bug Fixes!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Thew303

Thew303 Void-Bound Voyager

I played with a tier 1 hyotyl and the world was not created near the spawn point there is nothing and not load the world .. i'll try with a new character

[edit] seem works now... maybe was my character corrupted

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  2. Ciaran_D

Ciaran_D Zero Gravity Genie

Hey, is it just me who can't download, or is the update not released?

I will be testing as soon as I have access to it! :) Looking forward to looking at new, "random Swords" and finding the new biomes! Can't wait!
    There's simply so much you can do with this game its genius! I've never been so excited about a release, even over 180 hours of gameplay later.

Keep up the content updates.

PS: Is the update released yet then? I can't download yet...

Edit: If its been downloaded, how do I select "unstable" ?

3. Beef Hardslab

Beef Hardslab Orbital Explorer

Installed unstable version, it runs better than it did before lol. One small possible bug - I've come across 2 flying pirate ships, and in both instances after I left the ship and went on exploring I noticed that a bunch of the denizens of that ship were now planetside. Never saw that before this version.

roadrashh likes this.
  4. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

Every time a meteor hits it deletes a very small part of your bootloader.

Jonesy likes this.
  5. Astasia

Astasia Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes it's a common issue, at least among people I know. Started happening a few patches after the beta came out. Like half the time you chop a tree down it freezes in midair for a second before falling, or you mine a 3 x 3 chunk of blocks and the blocks freeze in midair before falling or zooming to you, monsters freezing randomly in combat, all the while FPS is rock steady and you can still move your character around. It only happens with the normal Direct3D client, until now I've been telling everyone who reports it to switch to OpenGL. Now suddenly the OpenGL client is running like crap for me, not the same issues, just fluctuating FPS and stuttering, I found a Apex underground obstacle course thing with all the lightning blocks, I could barely move my FPS was so bad. Was never an issue before this latest unstable build.

6. Lusfella

Lusfella Big Damn Hero

I cannot figure out where I can get the unstable update on steam, someone able to show me how? I mean, I thought I would find it in Properties > Updates.
    Nevermind, found it. Time to find that treasure.

7. TonyTagliano

TonyTagliano Void-Bound Voyager

They should seriously go ahead and add a new biome called "Apocalypse" that would be rich as hell with resources but would have acid rain and meteorite showers 24/7. Sort of a, risk a lot to win a lot thing.

Trepsik, BFeely and Beef Hardslab like this.
  8. Ma9kae2ubQueixu6

Ma9kae2ubQueixu6 Tentacle Wrangler

Chucklefish, please don't make the mistake of playing with the starbound_server.log file. It is not the place of the server application to manage that file, unless it is also a full-blown management system, which it is not. Leave log file management to the management application that us server admins and hosting providers have already written.

It is not apparent HOW this file is being rotated. It's totally undocumented. Does the file get rotated on start? when it gets too big? when it gets too old? What if the server admin doesn't want you to touch that file?

This was a naive decision.

Sitanel and Sartorius like this.
  9. TonyTagliano

TonyTagliano Void-Bound Voyager

As a user who plays only OpenGL I can confirm this. The lagg is very annoying, especially in sector X where you have to dodge like crazy or you die. I ended up getting killed by lagging mobs so many times that I just left Sector X alone as it is. And yes, the bases kill my FPS as-well which is very disappointing, considering that exploring these underground facilities, prisons, whatever is the main source of fun in exploration, and let's be honest... there is no way you can complete an apex obstacle course in the legit way (aka not placing blocks allover the place to just walk trough it) with 10FPS. And you won't really be able to explore a base safely with same FPS.

I don't know, this might be just us having potato PCs (Unlikely, but possible) but if it's a bug I hope that our fish overlords up there will hear our plea and fix it.

Sitanel likes this.
  10. Gothboy77

Gothboy77 Industrial Terraformer

I am glad for the mod support in this patch, now this whatup

11. Jardi-Gol

Jardi-Gol Big Damn Hero

Well, I think that, one of the good stuff this unstable versions brings is an optimization of the game. Maybe with that server won't loose answer and will not be needed to allways restart...let's see. So, please, be fast sending an official update with that optimizations. We need servers working fine without crash's...
    Thanks.

TonyTagliano likes this.
  12. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

It was a fine decision, it simply means server owners have less to do.......

All of us have scripts that will eventually become obsolete at some point in the future either because of an addition to the game or because of community developments regarding server wrappers for example.

Aside from that, it is very obvious when the log will rotate... It will be either after a shutdown or just before a start-up, most likely the latter since that was the moment when the log disappeared anyhow. It will probably be stored in a numbered fashion, either in the file name or the extension. Testing it is... what... 5 minutes of work? Less I think.

This decision will do much more good than harm in the end, you can only complain about this if you are selfish, it will be very useful to others in the end, mainly because there are more people that have no script in place for this than people that have. They are just making something more accessible for others, why is that wrong?

13. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

That changelog is...

Satisfying

Seriously it gives enough information on the new content added to the game yet not spoiling anything. Thats the way to go, I sorta like it.

Though I could need to know what bugs got fixed if they were previously, but checked the files already a little, really no noteable changes found so far, could change but I doubt it.

Really appreciate this form of changelog, its giving people information without spoiling their fun. Be back later when I got my bone launching gun.

mollygos likes this.
  14. MindExplorer

MindExplorer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Why did you feel the need to spoil the upcoming "War of the Worlds like invasion" update?
    Now it no longer will surprise anyone. ;)

15. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

please for the love of everything, if you arent going to list the bugs on the main page, have a link to a list of bug fixes!
    You change one bloody word in the code, and it can screw with the mods, and modders will have hell fixing it DX

Sitanel likes this.
  16. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

For the people wondering, here's a pic explaining how to update to the unstable branch.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Windoom will be testing this build by the way. To unify the testing process a bit, I'll be giving the password out in public for now to speed it all up and to monitor server performance/issues.

IP: windoom.com
    PW: flyswatter

Please PM me if issues arise and also tell me at what time they happened.. Gives me the chance to check the logs and report interesting finds (logs that won't get nuked everytime the server restarts now) : P

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  17. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

[BUG]
    "energyReplenishmentRate" : [ ERR ]

The energy repleniishment rate seems to be extensively high.
    I have a gun that uses 90 energy per shot. The ERR refreshes faster then it can shoot [not wearing any armour ]. Hence making energy basically useless.
    Also modifying the value no longer seems to do anything any more. Even if you delete the entire character files + universe files.
    The Rate remains constant.

18. odverb

odverb Aquatic Astronaut

I just tried my character and the energy is draining and replenishing as normal.... Perhaps it is only where you have no armor (I didn't try removing my armor).

19. SugarShow

SugarShow Scruffy Nerf-Herder

wonder if those "New ‘Heavy Iron Bars’ block" wasn't first on terraria last update.

that option "more beta than beta ":V

20. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The issue I am having is something related to that line
    It doesn't change - as it normally should.

-
    Attached is a basic mod which edits only that value

Attached Files: