Unlock new races.

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Soft Served Squirrel, Apr 16, 2012.

?

Should races be something you unlock?

1. Yes. I like getting rewarded for doing stuff, regardless of how hard/silly it may be!

43 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. I don't really care. Different races are going to be in the game, and I'm happy with that!

14 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. No. I like having all the options available to me right when I start!

67 vote(s)
    54.0%
  1. Phantomhearts

Phantomhearts Phantasmal Quasar

actully if used correctly it could be the feature that would capture some more play hours. But odds are it wont get added but its a great thought . if its anything like the arkian games hen it would be neat but if it uses the knights of the old republic system it proboly would not be as appealing to some players. But for the purposes of this Tiy already said skins are cosmedic (cant spell) .

2. Blazerer

Blazerer Void-Bound Voyager

Normally I'd say yes, because I like being rewarded (Pavlov much?) but in a game like this you put hours and hours into a single character. Either it would be too easy to unlock the other characters, thus rendering it useless or it would be too hard, thus costing too much time and ruining one's game.

So I'm afraid I'm going to have to vote no on this one. The armour sets however...that is something I'd vote yes on, to have to have at least played x hours with a character or reach a certain stage to be able to craft the armour set of that race.

Nerva likes this.
  3. Insane

Insane Big Damn Hero

Two points:
    1) achieving something through achievements is silly. TF2 system of weapon-obtaining through doing achievs proves it. Just remember those endless achievement servers where people do the same boring stuff.
    2)AFAIK races aren`t going to have any special abilities. So, changing only appearance? While your will be mostly always covered by armor? Won`t say it`s necessary, sorry.

4. Aeromyr

Aeromyr Void-Bound Voyager

haha fall on the water and insta die! :D

5. Aeromyr

i don't know if someone already had this idea but would be nice to have missions to make aliance with the race you want to unlock... :)

6. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

You just necro'd the thread. It had been dead since late December last year before you posted. Please check the timestamps on the posts before yours.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  7. Aeromyr

hmm okay bro ty, i didnt noticed...

8. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Don't worry about it. These things happen.

9. Gredd18

Gredd18 Giant Laser Beams

I Play games for the fun; not the Achievements. I like getting them, but I prefer "Casual" Achieves that just note milestones down. Bigger ones make me feel used if I go out of my way to unlock it. Anything unlockable should be vanity, as In PvP it'd be unfair on the new guy to come up against that flying Minigun wielding badass. (Me)

Farathil and DeadlyLuvdisc like this.
  10. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

I'll say it again, no I don't think it would be cool to unlock races.

Reasons:
    • Forced to start with a race you don't like "Annoyance" (does not feel like an achievement)
    • Forced to start over with the race you wanted to use from the beginning "Annoyance" (does not feel like an achievement)
    Those are the two big reasons why I don't think that it would be cool. Otherwise I would be fine with it. :lod:

Edit:
    Yeah, I would be fine with that. As long as I get to pick which race to start with.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  11. CalamityQuote

CalamityQuote Phantasmal Quasar

Maybe we could unlock races by doing quests for them? For example, if you did a quest or a mission for a lava race, then you would be able to play as the lava race afterwords.

12. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

No me gusta. :wut:
    I really don't feel like starting as a human, or some other generic race. *rolls eyes*
    It takes away my one on one time with my Massive Floran base I have planned.
    Alot of other people I know agree with me. Seriously though I am all for a challenge, but I do not like having my toy's taken away at square one it pisses me off.
    That's my opinion, I can understand this thread though. :yeahhhh:

Nerva likes this.
  13. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

I like having options. I do not like having options taken away from me, or worse, dangled in front of me yet out-of-reach, with some pavlovian task required to make them attainable. This is one of the reasons why I do not play TF2 - unlocking weapons to have options beyond the stock equipment is a chore, and I do not want to be #&%$@ed at by my teammates because I lack the Kritzkrieg on a medic or the Buff Banner on the Soldier.

Races are essentially cosmetic anyway - if they weren't, I could kinda understand holding the more overpowered races unavailable behind unlocks. However, I do not see the need to limit what is essentially a purely-cosmetic option.

14. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Uh sir, they are not "essentially cosmetic" each one is unique and not over powered. :proper:
    Each one will have their own race powers/benefits, and starter crafting recipes.

15. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

This has been discussed, actually.

Each race has a 'perk' associated with it, but that 'perk' is tied to the armor mods that race produces, not to the race itself. Want a Hylotl's ability to breathe more effectively underwater? Wear a Hylotl racial armor mod. Want a Glitch's enhanced mining speed? Wear a Glitch racial armor mod. Want an Avian flight/hover pack? Get an Avian to make you their armor mod. The races, themselves are cosmetic, with the potential exception of the Novakids - they inherently glow in the dark slightly, no matter what they're wearing. This is explained in the Starbound Chronicle Newsletter Issue #1.

Further, I never claimed any race was overpowered. What I'm saying, is if the races weren't basically cosmetic, and there were overpowered ones, I could understand locking those behind an unlock and making the player work to play 'em. Since that's not the case, there's no need for unlocks.

EDIT: Curse you and your ninja posting skills, Wox. Just kidding, I appreciate you anyway.

16. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Same thing. Either way it doesn't make any of the races over powered, just unique.
    Unique in looks and in how you play that race, so it isn't just cosmetic differences mr. :confused:

17. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I'd say there is a gray area here. They are relatively unique in the earliest portion of the game, but they are entirely cosmetic in the end-game when you have all the recipes. I'd say you are both correct. What really matters is this:

So things like paint colors and costumes should be easy to obtain and readily available, rather than rare. The only things that need to be "unlocked" should be functional items like new blocks, crafting materials, equipment, tools, etc... The question then would be whether or not alternate game modes should need to be unlocked, like Penguin Mode, since they change your functionality in the game but don't impact your character progression because it would be a new character or world...

Farathil and WoxandWarf like this.