1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Underground bases spawning monsters

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Severite, May 5, 2015.

1. Severite

Severite Subatomic Cosmonaut

Has anyone else noticed a fairly serious-ish bug where monsters spawn inside fully enclosed 'man made' block bases? I have noticed it definitely happens with sandstone bricks, and cobblestone bricks, but monsters will spawn inside specific rooms fairly consistently. And, just to make sure I don't have any cracks, I tore down all of my previous work, and gave myself a 15ish thick buffer, both in foreground and background, thicker in some places, so that removes that as a factor.

Attached Files:

TrueEdge and CrimsonGiraffe like this.
  2. FloomRide

FloomRide Cosmic Narwhal

Do your rooms have adequate lighting?

3. Severite

Didnt seem to matter when they did, but technically, no, since I have them all on switches, so my base is dark much of the time. But, I can leave lights on and they still spawn

4. Akre

Akre Pangalactic Porcupine

Are you sure that all background blocks are filled, including those hidden behind walls?

5. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

I've had this issue too, I noticed it seems to be tied to whether the blocks you use are ones that crops can be grown on or not. In the end though, I couldn't determine any real culprit as to what was causing the spawns.

I'd really like if Chucklefish added some area-of-effect objects that would stop mob spawns around them. In Extra Utilities for Minecraft, there are "Magnum Torches" which are essentially huge torches, but they stop mobs from spawning in a 64x64x64 block radius. Something like this would be very good in Starbound. I know Chucklefish is adding a housing system which the game will use to determine where NPCs will like to live, but in really large bases (I've been building a base which is essentially the size of a shield world's interior from Halo) the housing system probably just won't cut it.

NerArth likes this.
  6. Severite

I did, when I first laid down the groundwork, I made sure to tear out the ground, both fore and aft, laying out a sandstone bricks buffer, with 15 block thickness all the way around before reaching space. Something I have noticed, they will not spawn in the part that used to be part of the little mini outpost biome, but where my superstructure spreads from there, they will spawn in specific rooms, while not in others. Almost as if old spawn points are reactivating as I open stuff up. My big crafting room will spawn multiple critters, whereas my tiny storage vault will just spawn one. But the other tiny little vault above it doesnt seem to. I am unsure, I think I will tear down my outer walls, start over. I think I will open a second thread asking if anybody has made a large underground base, and never had a spawn. My above ground bases never did, at least not after I learned how to place background blocks.

7. Akre

Akre Pangalactic Porcupine

Yep, that would be great. They should make it as a loot dropped from bosses, so that it won't be exploited, but just give a few handy devices to handle with buidling a base.

8. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

The game no longer recognizes the difference between player placed vs generated blocks, allowing monsters to spawn where they please.
    The game used to suppress monster spawn on player placed blocks, but for some reason, this is no longer the case.
    Monsters spawn in unloaded sections of your screen. Lighting has no matter in monster spawning.

9. Severite

Interesting, I always thought it was related to the type of block placed. Is that a setting?

10. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

What do you mean by setting?

11. Severite

Ah, setting as in a flag in the game files. I was kinda asking if you had any idea where in the files to look. Seems like it would be a simple mod to make, but it might be.

12. Yawner

Yawner Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm having this same problem. It's really immersion breaking when I see mobs pacing back and forth inside an room intended for an npc.

NerArth likes this.
  13. NerArth

NerArth Pangalactic Porcupine

I know what you're talking about; I've been having this whole monsters in the base thing of late too, and my homebase is on a dead planet, which has sandstorms 80% of the time, so it absolutely has to be underground. Something like that would be really helpful since I can't seem to be able to prevent these monster spawns.

14. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

My above ground base did not have this problem, the mini dungeon NPC places never had monsters, and my undersea base never had monsters...... so IDK

Maybe some tests have to be run to figure out the midigating factors

NerArth likes this.
  15. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Nothing I've built is spawning monsters indoors. Hell, my tree-root system even has a spot or two without a backer wall and no monsters.

Bastards somehow end up at the very top of my treehouse though...

16. MrToni300

MrToni300 Ketchup Robot

Yeah sometimes these spawns, on my starting planet.

17. TheJoleTrain

TheJoleTrain Master Chief

So, is this a confirmed bug? Or, does anyone have a good fix and/or workaround?

Myself and a friend are undertaking a mega build, but it has recently been crippled because our base is swamped with monsters whenever we leave. Due to the spawnable guards being incredibly weak, we returned to find our many NPC's and guards killed outright.

Before and after screenshots for reference

e1.jpg

e2.jpg

One thing to note is the upper half of our base, which is still underground, is clear of monsters. The lower levels with the audible windy cave sound are only where they spawn.

NerArth and CrimsonGiraffe like this.
  18. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

I am building mission type thing deep underground on a planet and I'm not getting any monsters showing up

19. Severite

Yes, I would definitely say its a confirmed bug, and yes, only seems to effect certian rooms

20. CrimsonGiraffe

CrimsonGiraffe Phantasmal Quasar

Now that I think about it, me and @Markelius 's underground base that's having monster problems is deep enough to have that sound too, we actually built it that deep so we'd have music and whatnot rather than the silence you get further up. There's another section of our base that's still underground, but much higher up (quite close to the sea floor) and doesn't have monsters spawn in it. So anyways, thank you so much for making that connection, I never would have thought of it! :)

TheJoleTrain and NerArth like this.