Modding Help Unable to upload mod to steam workshop. SOLVED ^_^

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Aimlessimp05, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Aimlessimp05

Aimlessimp05 Pangalactic Porcupine

Everytime I attemp to upload my mod i get this error that says "error submitting updates to steam UGC item(2)"
    I have removed the modinfo file and have the modfiles in the coorect paths. the mod works on my end with no problems i just cannot upload it for soem reason.
    any ideas on how to fix this or is it a problem on steams end?
    Any and help would be awesome.

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Do you have all the files necessary?
    Preview image and metadata file?

3. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

4. Aimlessimp05

yes i have all the files. i can send a zip folder of my mod for you to look at and see what i am doing wrong or if it just me.
    and i followed your guide exactly. i think it might be me or my inabilty to make .modpack files. forsome reason i am getting errors there too. file structure and mod paths are correct. i am sure it is just me. this would not be the first time something like this has happened. When i was madding killing floor for a server i ran, i compiled files and such the server wner has made and vice versa. sometyimes even though i had all the same files and the exact same text for the compiling it just wouldnt work. I have a download link to it via mega and it works just fine ingame wioth no errors. my friend just wanted me to upload the mod to the steam work shop so he and his friends could get it easier. if i could solve this and upload that could fix many things for future mods like a renwal of my scar-h mod.

5. The | Suit

You shouldn't make a .modpak file anymore.
    Also steam workshop you do not upload a pak file. You upload the folder with the metadata file.

6. Aimlessimp05

like i said i have the correct pathing and everything. it could just be me. i will try another/old account and see if that will do anything.
    --- Post updated ---
    I have found out why it wouldnt upload. My current account doesnt own starbound. My old account was hacked and stolen so i just familu share with my newone as i add new games to it. I simply logged into my old account and tried to upload and bam it went smoothe. thanks for the help guys. i will try to mark this is solved or delete it. maybe someone might have the same problem somewhere or maybe add you have t be on the same account that wons the game not the ones that ave it due to family share.

7. Wolfofthenyght

Wolfofthenyght Big Damn Hero

I'm having this issue as well, but my account owns starbound. This is a mod I've previously uploaded to steam, and I'm just trying to update it :( The only thing I did was update steam T_T For pictures and problem description in more detail -> https://twitter.com/Wolfofthenyght/status/760864766952935424

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  8. Soraph

Soraph Void-Bound Voyager

Having the same issue. I can upload the modfiles, but adding a picture will cause that strange UGC error (doen't matter if i try .png or .jpg)

9. Wolfofthenyght

Wolfofthenyght Big Damn Hero

Yep, attempting to load anything for my mod regardless of where it is on my PC or what it is, results in the UGC error. :/

Edit: Ok. Dunno who did what, but it looks like this is resolved.. thank goodness x_x <3

10. The | Suit

UGC Error is pretty common if the servers are busy, just waiting a little while should fix it.

11. Erynn

Erynn Space Spelunker

Whenever I open the uploader through steam, it just crashes when I try to open directory, but when I open it via the exe it says it's unable to initialize the steam API.

12. The | Suit

13. Erynn

Erynn Space Spelunker

I'll try that now then, thank you!

Edit: That worked! Thank you very much.

14. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

It's simple if you re-upload to make example for me a thumbnail
    Reset Steam UGC data (below Import Thumbnail button)

15. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I've had this problem... and I think I know the problem(or a problem). This string is should be legitimate.

Code:
    "description": "Things about my mod:\n\n1.  It does cool things\n2.  You are not cool unless you use my mod.",
    The uploader will even write a description into that exact string. However you CANNOT have
    :
    in your description string. If you do, you get that error. Unfortunately that error doesn't tell you anything and the uploader doesn't seem to write a log. I figured it out by luck(well maybe trying to change things over and over).

cpeosphoros likes this.
  16. Askyth Lorenis

Askyth Lorenis Void-Bound Voyager

I still with this error. I don't know what's happening, I use a name, no description, the title, without an image AND THIS STILL HAPPENING TO ME! Why????

Edit: I just reinstalled steam and it doesn't make this error.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  17. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

You didn't mention, but is it the exact same error as mentioned above? Granted I haven't found a list of uploader errors and what they mean. But having an error at all isn't the same as having that exact error.

You should be able to have a title and description. In fact I expect you'd need to have SOMETHING in those fields, and that could be your issue. So put SOMETHING in there and try again. Besides that, try a few things.

On the uploader, click the link to the workshop terms of service and agree.
    Exit the Steam client entirely and restart it. Closing the window isn't good enough. You need to close out the client itself.
    Sometimes Steam may be having issues. You may simply just have to wait and try again later.

18. Kluex Avatar

Kluex Avatar Star Wrangler

This is a bit embarrassing for a god to admit, but... I have no idea what a metadata file is.

19. Kluex Avatar

Kluex Avatar Star Wrangler

Never mind, I did some file searching

20. jerrylee22

jerrylee22 Void-Bound Voyager

VERY IMPORTANT!
    Make sure your preview image file isn't too big! If it's over 1 mb, it will refuse to upload!
    I changed my dimensions from 1000x1000 to 512x512 and it uploaded immediately.