Tutorial?

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by LethalShade, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Look, in the end it has even nothing to do with being a tutorial.
    I would say the same thing about any forced intro cutscene which you cant skip on any playthough, and have to play through. It is repetitive, useless, annoying and quite unhelpful. Why do we need to forcefeed people a tutorial anyway?

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  2. Eddy Steel

Eddy Steel Existential Complex

Because you're not listening to me, I'm going to give an example.
    Remember inFamous? Remember the intro where you were put into a scenario where there was lots of pressure? Remember how it taught you to manoeuvre your character? Good.

3. Gredd18

Gredd18 Giant Laser Beams

Another Option: Make The Tutorial So You Learn All The Way though the Game. E.G. When You Get To a Button, It'll Tell You How To Use The Button, ETC, even If it's The Last Mission in the Game

Eddy Steel likes this.
  4. Svarr Chanston

Svarr Chanston Cosmic Narwhal

Microsoft Word Paperclip.png This guy is the new guide, you did this to yourselves... Enjoy.

5. You aren't listening to me, either, Eddy.
    You DO realize Infamous is a straightforward story based game with hardly any replayability?
    Whereas starbound is sandbox-nonlinear (story nonwithstanding) game, with infinite replayability.
    How many times have you started Infamous over?
    Imagine if Minecraft, every time you made a new world, put you through an unskippable linear tutorial level with scripted encounters to ensure you learn the right things.

6. Svarr Chanston

Svarr Chanston Cosmic Narwhal

I cannot like your post more then once, I swear this is a bug in the system.

Anyhow, well put. <3

7. Eddy Steel

I would hardly call an open world game linear.

8. fishboyliam

fishboyliam Cosmic Narwhal

Realy? Wheres the epicness in that tutorial!? It's an RPG, and the choices don't mean much. I'm sure someone would like it, but RPG's are open world. that was linear. Not much fun:/

9. Swinburn

Swinburn Phantasmal Quasar

Good idea!

10. Alexblex

Alexblex Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think that tutorials would be good but skippable for people who like to learn as they play (and fail a couple time) but still nice idea :up:. That is just my preference.

11. Marokutai

Marokutai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

True........... ~_~

12. Hm, Tiy had this to say in the IRC chat:
    Code:
    [10:38] <@Tiy> Ymedron, a tutorial doesnt have to be popups and explanations
    [10:38] <@Tiy> implementing game mechanics one step at a time, in ways they cant be ignored
    [10:38] <@Tiy> is also a great tutorial
    [10:39] <Ymedron> Yes, but how can you mask it in a sandbox where nothing is really the same? Or will it happen through the main storyline?
    [10:39] <@Tiy> for example, in megaman X, the first level introduced every game mechanic one by one
    [10:39] <@Tiy> youd be walking along and a floor piece would collapse
    [10:39] <@Tiy> youd end up in a hole and the only way out would be to wall jump
    [10:39] <Ymedron> Hm, yes, but a linear game is easier to make a tutorial like that...
    [10:39] <@Tiy> well Ymedron, every new characters game will start with that characters homeworld being destroyed
    [10:40] <Ymedron> :u So I suppose the tutorial will be you fleeing from the homeworld?
    [10:40] <@Tiy> something like that Ymedron
    [10:41] <@Tiy> it will seem like normal gameplay
    [10:41] <@Tiy> especially if you're familiar with the game

Suppose will have to be content with the promise of it being like normal gameplay.

13. Eddy Steel

That's what I was bloody saying.
    I WIN. YOU LOOOOOOOSE! Sorry, got a bit carried away there.

14. Childish.
    Nevertheless, I hope their judgement is right and they don't make it retarded.

15. Eddy Steel

I was just joking, god.

16. Dreams

Dreams Star Wrangler

I'm sure if they do make it stupid then we could be able to skip it.
    Lol.

Eddy Steel likes this.
  17. Fantasja

Fantasja Industrial Terraformer

This is a good idea. BUT promise me i say PROMISE this aint going to be done by some lollygaggin guide like in Terraria!!!!! But if that DOES'NT happen i support. :up: xD

18. Eddy Steel

No lollygaggin'.
    Oh how I hate skyrim guards, anyway, I think there's not much more to discuss as TIY HIMSELF has confirmed what the tutorial is going to be like.

19. Fantasja

Fantasja Industrial Terraformer

Hate the guards too me and all my friends use to think it was funny with those"Then i took an arrow to da knee." jokes. But then i got skyrim and played it a lot and now evrytime they say it im like FFFFUUUUUU------- It's a curse it follow me into the real world!!!............ :mad:

20. Swinburn

Swinburn Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah didn't he say it would be involved in the story of you leaving your home planet? I assume in the form of having to move and jump over obsticals on your trek through the space station to your escape ship!