Tutorial?

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by LethalShade, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Of course that would be awkward to implement all the potential controls in (weapons etc) but whatever, as long as the tutorial doesn't get in your way when playing the game.

2. Eddy Steel

Eddy Steel Existential Complex

Maybe slingshots instead of rocket launchers? :p As long as most of the weapons work the same way.

3. From what I hear most of them actually won't work the same way, but of course you can't tutor all of them regardless of tutorial type.

Actually Im starting to lean to the opinion that a very in-depth tutorial would detract from the game. But whatever since you admit as well that there is no info on the game, it is useless to debate whether a tutorial is actually needed. The first story quest or the first planet most likely teaches you everything you need by virtue of having you try out every button. Don't people instinctively try out the arrow keys or wasd keys to move, try pressing space to jump and see if moving the mouse does anything if they see a cursor on a screen?

edit: Not like the game going: "to complete this quest you must press button x to jump" but more like the player going "Hmm, I want to jump, lets try spacebar."

HarlequinReaper and Eddy Steel like this.
  4. uigfnbxs

uigfnbxs Big Damn Hero

that would be helpful for beginners. At least it's better than the guide

5. Dreams

Dreams Star Wrangler

They should make it so the tutoral purposefully think that you're stupid.
    Oh hi there.
    Let me help you play this game.
    Put your hand over the object called a mouse
    and click on this button right over here.
    Good job.

I had to take this test to prove I'm smart enough to do stuff, and it had to teach us how to use a mouse. I'm not retarted.

HarlequinReaper likes this.
  6. SpaceCap'n

SpaceCap'n Zero Gravity Genie

I wasn't going to read through all 4 pages of this before posting, but a simple pop-up saying and describing all of the in-game commands when you first start the game would be equally helpful. Then from there you can choose to do a practice tutorial (obstacle course type of thing) or continue on. The same with mechs, vehicles, and other modes that would require different commands.

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  7. Svarr Chanston

Svarr Chanston Cosmic Narwhal

100% Agreed, make it not seem like a tutorial or better yet, make it so you can access the tutorial through the main menu so if you get stuck you can simply load up the special pre-designed map made for newcomers or people who simply want to review the tutorial! (to further boost the amount of people taking the tutorial make it so you unlock a costume or vanity items if you complete it.)

HarlequinReaper and Eddy Steel like this.
  8. Earic Lodger

Earic Lodger Starship Captain

Even this badass mofo? I hand drew him myself. Sort of.
    Guide 2.0.png

9. Marokutai

Marokutai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Look at the Skyrim tutorial, it teaches your everything that you need to know while you make choices, it's as easy as that.

10. I think we should look at King Arthur's Gold and Spelunky for how to do a tutorial. Like Svarr said, they should be able to be chosen from the menu, not forced on you during normal gameplay. period.

11. Eddy Steel

I'm a stubborn little brat, so NOPE. The tutorial should be in a place where you feel endangered but with no real threat so, teaching the player how to shoot would be you having to shoot some enemies while you are backed up against a wall and then you would learn to mine by having to mine through a wall while a bigger group of enemies approach you and so on.
    It has to be exciting at the start (Maybe Explosions?) so the player is being taught in an environment where they get their adrenaline pumping so they don't know that they're being taught because the opening is fun.

12. Again, only if the beginning can be skipped on later playthroughs. :V

13. Eddy Steel

No. BAD! BAD IDEA!

14. Svarr Chanston

As long as it's not going to be rewritten to be another Call Of Duty...

15. Eddy Steel

I haven't played CoD so none of my ideas should resemble it.

16. Eddy WHY?

Do you realize what it means when I say it must be skipped on later playthroughs?
    It becomes increasingly obvious every single time that this is a tutorial.
    You should be able to skip to the start of the sandboxing after playing through the intro once. Im sure Im not alone in hating being railroaded into an intro sequence where I have to dodge obviously scripted explosions and fight exact same enemies in the exact same spot, it becomes glaringly obvious that its put there just to educate the noobs.

17. Gredd18

Gredd18 Giant Laser Beams

Yes, I Agree With you, Having To Go do a 10- Min Long Tutorial Each Time Has Put me of Doing Re-runs of Games I Love.

18. Svarr Chanston

Agreed with this, let's just go with my previous idea of having a tutorial optional on the main menu and a training room in game, people who want to do well WILL click the tutorial and the devs are not to blame for them being idiots if they decide to skip it and learn nothing, we cannot make up for that nor should we.

(Training room discussed in detail here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/training-area.4310/#post-76528)

Darwin's Law likes this post

19. Eddy Steel

I'm a stubborn git, so no, What you are suggesting is that they will make a bad tutorial, a bad tutorial is tutorial that is blatantly obvious that it is a tutorial. Watch this and skip around three minutes into it, they will explain all.

20. Svarr Chanston

You do realize we are here to recommend these things and not to force feed the devs of StarBound stuff and tell them to do it? We got those ideas so let's leave it at that, is there any other way we can improve on the tutorial idea that is not something we already mentioned?