Tutorial?

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by LethalShade, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Eddy Steel

Eddy Steel Existential Complex

Make the tutorial quests exciting and fun as with the rest of the game, make them so that you WANT to play it but don't make it obvious it's a tutorial otherwise people are going to skip over it.

Dementia likes this.
  2. In that case allright. But still, the quest shouldn't start right away, so i can branch off into exploring space if I want to rather than even starting the main story. :eek:

3. HarlequinReaper

HarlequinReaper Starship Captain

or again jus wait an hour after release for soeone to post on youtube how to do things :) im also sure (hoping actually) the Devs will post vids on the new/diffrent things you can see in SB compared to Terraria. i do like your idea (having played skyrim twice was enough to be nerve wracking on the first 5 missions/quests) but you have to see this like terraria. if any thing Tim the Guide's Generation of Guide's (lol) will tell you whats up in the game. what im hopeing for is a more telling guide. instead of clicking him alot to get random info, click the guide, who brings up a list(manual) of things he can answer (show you) and it can even have pictures. although i would like, instead of picture, short videos (like 5 seconds long to demonstrate something or how an item works)

bounding star and Ymedron like this.
  4. Eddy Steel

Nice!
    Nope, an In-game tutorial not video tutorials. They are not the same.

bounding star likes this.
  5. Indeed, I personally don't understand what a game like this requires tutorials for. the basic controls you can understand just by trying things out and looking at the keybindings, and the basic ideas like crafting and coordinates can be written into an IN GAME manual with short introductory videos helping you get started.

HarlequinReaper likes this.
  6. Eddy Steel

Well, because not much info has been released we don't know how shallow or deep the mechanics of the game are going to be.

7. I think I heard that Tiy wants the design aspects to be broken into the simplest possible design elements, so I assume they will have the concepts be very unconvoluted. Depth=/=difficulty of understanding. For example, a gun might have a ton of different stats, but if they are presented well, you do not need a tutorial detailing you what it means. There could even be a tooltip telling you what each stat does.

Tooltips etc are much better than a tutorial in my opinion. Tutorials are one-time-only, tooltips can remind you again and again.
    Say, you quit for a long time for some reason. You start the game up again after like months, and dont remember much of anything, but want to continue on your old save.
    Would you rather start a new game just to re-practice the tutorial, play a separate tutorial game, or just go to the ship's computer and look at the topics and their videos?

Dementia and HarlequinReaper like this.
  8. HarlequinReaper

my thoughts exactly.

Ymedron likes this.
  9. Eddy Steel

What about a tutorial for new players and a tool-tip for if you forget something?

10. As long as the tutorial is optional and not within the flow of game I would be happy. The ship's computer could ask if you need help with operating the ship, and then leave you alone if you say no thanks. :V

Edit: Not in the flow of the game as in, you dont have to go through the tutorial to progress, nor do you automatically get forced into it if you are a new player (since again, its your own stupid fault for ignoring tutorials if you would need one)

11. Eddy Steel

Fair enough, I'm getting sleepy so I don't care about anything any more (Not trying to be rude or anything) :p

12. HarlequinReaper

i think your over thinkning it. terraria was not complicated at all. is was simple in the fact that you knew the basics, and the whole fun part was to explor and be surprised by new things, finding a difficult challenge and over coming it, and all around have fun in your own way entirely. while SB will have a "story", i dont think it will be complicated as to feel the need to explain the mechanics in-depth. with as creative and long the game will be, i can bet that you wont need to know alot to get started, and by the time you get to somewhere you need to know something, you can ask the guide, or read a manual, and can figure it out. the game is for all ages (i guess except 2 year olds, because 3 year olds are ok :D) so it wont be like say CoD, or DOTA where you MUST know what your doing to have ANY fun. this game is simple enough in what its for, and if you want stuff, you should already know what it is that you would like, therefore have the mind to figure out how to get it. the way your describing the game tutorial is for a complicated game such as the 2 listed above, or a game that the average teen (and i count that from 11+) cant figure out. im sure everyone will be fine, and not only that, if someone has a question about something, its not hard to come on the forums and ask a Dev or a Coimmunity member about it (assuming its not listed on YT, or Wiki already). :3 thatpart of the reason why we are here. to better the community and help those who are completly new.

Key points:
    - The Avg. gamer/player can most likey figure out about 50%-80% of the game mechs in the first 30 mins of the game.
    - WE ARE THE SPACEBOUND COMMUNITY AND WE ARE HERE TO HELP
    - Its like Terraria, not hard to to figure out, and fun for anyone who likes sandbox games (Skyrim is a sandbox, but its still WAYYYY out there in terms of comparing it to SB.)

13. fishboyliam

fishboyliam Cosmic Narwhal

I'm all in for a good old sandbox game! Also, the community is great, even before the game is out! I'm sure anyone will help how ever they can!

HarlequinReaper likes this.
  14. Eddy Steel

1)You don't know that, you're just guessing
    2)Uh... Anyway, if there are in-game tutorials less people will need to ask about stuff because they can figure out the harder stuff. (I'm not saying people won't ask though.)
    3)Again, you don't know that, you're just guessing. Not much about the game has been revealed yet so we don't know how deep the game goes.

Dementia likes this.
  15. HarlequinReaper

if thats how you truly see it than why speculate that it NEEDS a tutorial? in that case, lets wait till the game is released, and than re-open this thread about wheather its in need of a tutorial? or (if implemented) if it should be removed/changed?

EDIT: basically your on the side that the game will be hard enough that it will need a tutorial play through system,
    and i think it will be simple enough that it will only have an in-game guide/manual

Ymedron likes this.
  16. Gredd18

Gredd18 Giant Laser Beams

Guys. Easy Option.
    Have the Tutorial Skippable.
    Make It a Damn Flashback Or Somthin'

17. Eddy Steel

Flashback? How would it play out?

18. Gredd18

From When You Were a Child, Just Play With Your Friends.

rafeu, Zoraculus and Eddy Steel like this.
  19. Eddy Steel

Cool! That actually sounds really interesting! I want this in. NOW!

20. Gredd18

:D