Modding Help Trying to figure out how to make an interplanetary teleporter. [Answered]

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by HawkFareye, Feb 10, 2015.

1. HawkFareye

HawkFareye Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can't seem to find the scripts necessary to pull off such a feat as to teleport a player from one planet to another with custom load screen similar to the ship warp segment of space travel as well as a custom teleport dialog similar to the cockpit dialog but with a tab where players can bookmark planets to teleport to and a tab for teleportation to pre-set cities that are dungeons like the outpost. I understand I am asking a lot, and I don't expect to be told how to do all of this, but I was hoping some of you guys/gals could point me in the direction of the files I would need for this and what commands I would need in my lua scripts to pull this off.

I also understand that some threads might discuss this already but as of yet I have not come across any.

I welcome all help and I thank all of you who take the time to read and respond to this!

2. Best Answer
    Of course!

Loading from one planet to another:
    • Requires moving the player to the new spawn point - Point Not known. No API to move player other than Tech
    • Requires access to player's physical location in the universe- Not available for read or write
    • Requires loading new world - Handled by game. Not moddable
    • Requires ability to validate that the planet exists before teleport - Not available
    Bookmarking Planets
    • Requires custom UI widgets - Not available
    • Requires ability to PROGRAM said widgets - Not possible / Hardcoded
    • Requires hooks to the UI system - Not available
    • Requires I/O to some sort of storage on the HDD for later - Disabled in Lua. Not possible
    EDIT: Oops I quoted the wrong post... oh well.

The | Suit likes this.
  3. We do not have the appropriate modding features to do something like this. The best you can get is teleportation on a single planet.

4. HawkFareye

Ok, but I find it hard to believe there is no way at all for any of that stuff I mentioned above to work. Could you possibly elaborate as to why what I proposed does not work? It may be that I am just ignorant but I would like to know what it is that is restricting me from making a mod like this, is it that there are no files or parameters that can be edited form the mod file for this or what?

Thank you!

5. Best Answer
    Of course!

Loading from one planet to another:
    • Requires moving the player to the new spawn point - Point Not known. No API to move player other than Tech
    • Requires access to player's physical location in the universe- Not available for read or write
    • Requires loading new world - Handled by game. Not moddable
    • Requires ability to validate that the planet exists before teleport - Not available
    Bookmarking Planets
    • Requires custom UI widgets - Not available
    • Requires ability to PROGRAM said widgets - Not possible / Hardcoded
    • Requires hooks to the UI system - Not available
    • Requires I/O to some sort of storage on the HDD for later - Disabled in Lua. Not possible
    EDIT: Oops I quoted the wrong post... oh well.

The | Suit likes this.
  6. HawkFareye

Alright, thank you very much! I was really hopping that since the console quotes what world it loads there would be a way to initiate the process, and I was also hoping there was a way to save world locations with lua. I appreciate the time you took to answer my question, even if I'm a little bummed I can't make the mod I dreamed of. Thank you very much and keep up the good work!

7. I Said No

I Said No Cosmic Narwhal

Not that it matters too much, but i've noticed worlds stay loaded in memory if something scripted is running on them. If you've already been to a planet would it be possible to call the player to a location on it?

8. HawkFareye

That's sort of what I thought but it seems that since it is handled by the game there is no way to transport the player to the location of the loaded world. Or at least thats what I gathered by his explanation. I don't really know for sure.

9. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

10. HawkFareye

11. They stay running as long as there is a player on them, and then shut down ~15 seconds later. You cant use the world.loadSector() to keep worlds in memory forever because even that checks if there is a player on the world according to Omni. That, and the function is limited to the world you currently on - so you cant loadSectors on another planet.

12. I Said No

I Said No Cosmic Narwhal

That's strange. I've got my own electrical setup going in a mod and i've noticed my batteries drain and machines still function even when i'm not on the world they're running on, like i'll come back to my hydroponics trays later and the batteries will be discharged and i'll have a ton of crops as if they'd been running just fine in my absence. Is that not meant to be happening?

13. Ill ask around, but from what Omni told me ages ago... No, that's not supposed to happen.

14. Olxinos

Olxinos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh by the way, it's already possible to make an item teleporting to a specific planet, but you'll need to know its coordinates before making the mod (so it's not really usable, unless you already have an established network of planets)
    You just have to use a modified ancient console (objects/warp/ancientconsole) with a modified copy of gatewarp.config where you change
    Code:
    "UniqueWorld:outpost"
    into something like this
    Code:
    "CelestialWorld:-5128484:-622671250:-16172213:4:5"
    (don't use that one, i have mods which modify galaxy generation, you can usually read them in your starbound.log as they are loaded or unloaded, otherwise, you may build one yourself but i don't remember what the first or third number is).

The | Suit and severedskullz like this.
  15. REALLY? You know I saw that in the outpost console a while back but I didn't realize it was a parsed input.

As for those additional numbers, I'm pretty sure it's the system and satellite number since the X and Y coordinates only point to an entire galaxy.

Well that's great. We can use Lua to build the config options for the warp location, but we still need to know the planet location ahead of time, and thats something that will still be difficult as we dont have any API to do such a thing.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  16. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I could be wrong - but I do remember it being said it is the Uuid of the planet

edit
    [18:08] <Kawa> This has been explained recently but I forgot.
    [18:10] <Kawa> <metadept> well the first two numbers are the main coordinates
    [18:10] <Kawa> <metadept> the last two are the orbit and (optionally) satellite number
    [18:10] <Kawa> <metadept> i think the middle one is just a uuid

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  17. Arsakes

Arsakes Phantasmal Quasar

Any news on that?

1. Do we have API for checking x:y galaxy coordiantes or uuid for a given planet?

2.Is there anyway to list plantes known by players? (scriptwise)

3. The X and Y I see in cockpit are associtaed with star system right?

4. Are those star coordinates dense? I mean X+1, Y+1 will also give ma star nearby?