1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiy's IRC Q&A

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Forever, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

Yeah. I am disappointed to hear this too (albeit without any source). If the game really may take that long I may just subscribe to the blog's RSS and check back in when they post things there.

EDIT: Q1 isn't that bad March/April is still only 2-3 months.

2. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

Q1 can be januari, februari, march or april... It probably won't be januari, but it might still be februari.

3. Zellman

He was quoted as saying it "wouldn't" be done by Q1. So probably no January-March release according to "pessimist" Bart.

4. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

The meat is weak my friend.And time waits for no one.
    The game will be awsome,but will I have time to play it?

5. Katorone

No idea... There's always an opportunity or some free time I guess! :)

6. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

BUT I WANT IT NOW ...:cry:
    Oh,well,that was necessary.

7. Lusid

Lusid Pangalactic Porcupine

Sorry to be the voice of impatience, but i am just having a hard time wrapping my head around believing the game will be released by the end of the year, then shortly after, to not even the beta being ready by the end of Q1. What could have caused such a jump? Are features harder to get working than originally thought? Are you guys just constantly adding things that are pushing it back? What's going on?

enemarius86 likes this.
  8. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

well they never guaranteed a date to begin with, merely eyeballed estimations, so there's nothing to blame if things dont go as hypothetically expected

WoxandWarf likes this.
  9. Lusid

No, i'm not raging over a missed date, don't take it that way. It's more asking for information. Something caused them to estimate the game would be ready by X point. Then something caused them to estimate that it would not be ready even by Q1. That's quite a gap, i'm only curious what could have happened to change it so drastically.

10. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

well like i said, the last estimate they did (eyeballed) was end of 2012. but the Q1 thing is just a "pessimistic" estimation by bartwe, not the devs overall. ill admit its quite bleak but still, its his opinion, not an "officially-tiy-approved-eyeball-estimate" like the others.

its all hypothesis and speculation for them too. they work on theire baby, they hope its done soon and its very hard to tell when he'll be ready. its also better to expect the worst rather than the opoosite

enemarius86 likes this.
  11. Katorone

I think Tiy once chalked it up to featurecreep. He mentioned that the dev team keeps getting awesome ideas for the game, but that they'll need a feature stop or it would take even longer for the game to get out.
    After the game is released they'd continue adding features again.

12. Dwagon

Dwagon Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Well, depending on how you interpret his estimate...we might see a May release.
    Though from my experience, May is the magic cutoff month. Most general schlock excepted (we're in the thick of the dumping grounds right now; January and early February are normally when you see the very worst games.)
    Anything that doesn't make it by May is generally doomed to roil over the summer and into Autumn (as was evidenced by no fewer than FOUR games I followed last year, two of them being delayed into this year not including Starbound.)

I have no idea why this happens, because generally speaking, (northern hemisphere) summer is when most gamers have more free time and disposable income.
    By the time Autumn rolls around, and the Christmas blitz begins winding up, everyone starts fighting over the same small release schedule.

13. Zellman

May is right before school gets out for young people, college, highschool, etc. So it is a great time to release a game. It did Terraria a ton of good because they got featured on Steam multiple times.

14. Lusid

This is actually what i was afraid of. They really should just estimate what projects they've started that can realistically be finished soonish and take all the ones that will not and mark them for post release. I understand the desire to have a fantabulous game with all the awesome features they keep dreaming up but at that rate it will be Dungeon Defenders all over again, and without it being microsoft's fault.

15. Fritz the Prussian

Fritz the Prussian Void-Bound Voyager

Did we not have enough threads discussing a possibly estimated date for the release? Why can one not quit putting the devs under pressure like this? On the Q&A Tiy stated he will not provide a relaese date as people really getting mad at him. I guess that all the talking about a release date and the lack of information about on how the development progresses made the dev wasting their time on answering peoples questions about the game (like in the recent Q&A). Ok thats quite nice but hey, why cant people not just stop beeing impatient and leave the devs allone so they can focus on the game? I mean this way people really harm the community and the devs and this just dont feel right. ANd, by getting too much information pre-release people will be disappointed because they may imaginate a game that is different to what will be released. All these discussions about a release date start beeing annoying. Sorry for my poor english, Im not a native speaker.

16. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

On the FAQ page, it still says that the release will be Early 2013.

Just to clear up that Bartwe was the only one who thought it was gonna be Summer.

17. DoomShooter

DoomShooter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sorry for being offtopic here, but I have to say the Likes gif in your signature is amazing xD

WoxandWarf likes this.
  18. Dwagon

Dwagon Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

That's what puzzles me. After May, and going into June, very little of note gets released all the way up til September.
    June, July, and most of August generally suck ass for release schedules.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  19. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Seriously. The whole throwing money at your screen has become retarded and is SO overused. Can we be more original, people?

WoxandWarf and Shanjaisolen like this.
  20. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

I'm training sparrows to carry coconuts with the moneys inside.

I'll keep you informed about my progress.