1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiy's IRC Q&A

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Forever, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

A few more months....we...must...resist :lod:

2. Mr. Electric Ocean

Mr. Electric Ocean Subatomic Cosmonaut

Excellent, thanks for sharing!

3. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

This was the only thing that worries me. I wish I could know how big these "mini biomes" are. If the mini biomes are at least a few screens wide, then I think I'm fine. I don't mind the idea of one biome being prevalent throughout the surface; I just don't like the idea of "exploring" a planet that is 90% homogenous jungle plateaus or whatever.

And then there's this:
    To me, this seems like the perfect thing that could be varied on a planet without breaking up a distinct "theme." I mean, maybe it's overall a desert planet, but it's like 1/3 desert flats, 1/3 sweeping dunes, and 1/3 mesas and hoodoos.

I don't know. I just fear that on-planet exploration will suffer if the vast majority of the surface looks just like the place where you landed. Glad to hear there's still lots of underground exploration, and mini-biomes and micro-biomes are the kind of thing I desperately wanted more of in Terraria, so I guess I'm not too worried overall.

I wonder if most planets will have oceans, or if they'll only be on planets dominated by oceans...

4. Alanzer-DNA

Alanzer-DNA Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, think that a planet wouldn't be so unique if it didn't have a predominating theme. That way we can tag each planet as "ocean planet", "desert planet", "jungle planet" and so on. It would be kind of weird to see a planet with a completely different biome every two screens we walk. It simply sounds... crazy.
    That's why Tiy also said in the IRC that Tatooine (from Star Wars) wouldn't be that unique if it was a planet WITH a desert instead of what it is: a desert planet.
    EDIT: And remember there will be millions of planets to explore!
    And... As you said in the rest of your post:
    Yup, thanks to the configuration of the terrain with mountains and stuff, we don't have to worry about a chance of everything looking the same. It may be the same biome, but things on it can vary so much...!
    And about this, well, it wouldn't make sense to put oceans only on ocean planets :)
    Most probably we will be able to find oceans in almost every planet.

5. Lazer

Yeahbut Tiy said that the terrain configuration would be planet-wide. I mean he says it's a "terrain style" for the planet. I guess it's not certain, but it seems like he's saying just one per planet.

Anyway, I specifically said I'm fine with a dominant biome, I just don't want it to be so dominant that the mini biomes are just little landmarks.

I don't want different biomes every 2 screens, I just want mini biomes (which I assume are semi-rare) to have a little room to stretch out and be explored. Like...I want mini-biomes to be whole "cities" rather than just "city-blocks," but still relatively just a small portion of the whole globe.

e: "city blocks" not "tile blocks"

6. Alanzer-DNA

I believe that's how mini biomes will be. I suppose they will be big enough to explore them... or at least not so small to be a few blocks wide!
    EDIT: But of course: everything varies.

7. Lazer

I hope you are right. This is what I meant when I said I wished I knew how big mini biomes would be.

8. Coin

Coin 2.7182818284590...

Aw man, reading the Q&A session has reinstated my obsession for this game that had finally begun to wane... *returns to life of lurking on the forums*

In all seriousness though, I loved everything they talked about, and every new detail I heard reiforced how amazing I think this game will be.

9. Star and Moon

Star and Moon Space Kumquat

My cat did that once too.

Alanzer-DNA likes this.
  10. Insane

Insane Big Damn Hero

Water freezing. Hell yeah ice. God bless Bartwe.

Exi1e and blind sniper like this.
  11. Roxie Stables

Roxie Stables Parsec Taste Tester

Hmmm . . .
    While this slightly disappoints me, I will be happy as long as I can keep back stores of monsters.

12. Alanzer-DNA

You wanted your team of six, huh? :p

13. Roxie Stables

No, I want my slave armies; sadly though I will only be able to take a few out at a time. I am content though as long as they are ready for use.

14. Alanzer-DNA

Hooray for sexslaves! ...I did not type that word in front of the other.
    By the way, I'll get myself three bunnies of doom. They are so adorable they can kill with their adorableness.

15. Roxie Stables

Yes you did type that word you brilliant thing you; but alas they will have many other uses.

Alanzer-DNA likes this.
  16. Ryfyle

Ryfyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not quite sure on that not a fifth that was mentioned in that Q&A has shown up in the streams. It looks like We won't be seeing this game for a couple of years.

Nougat and enemarius86 like this.
  17. Dwagon

Dwagon Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Wow. What an info dump!
    Based on what's been described, it sounds like they're moving towards release sooner than I thought (maybe late February at earliest I speculate), with a lot of post-release content planned.

Dragrath and Huntrex like this.
  18. Landlaw

Landlaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm worried about a few things there. Mainly related to the amount of "post-release" words. I was wondering if it is post-relese the beta or finished game...

19. Huntrex

Huntrex Big Damn Hero

Yep yep. I sure hope so. Wouldn't that be freaking amazing if beta released on my bday feb 7th :D

20. Marketh

Marketh Former Staff

Not 100% sure on this but I am fairly positive by "post release" he is refering to post "full release". I imagine most of the beta content will be stuff like traveling to planets, mining, crafting, exploration and combat. The common parts that make up the majority of the game, so it's all prepared for release.