There will be more character/universe wipes?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by kratos873, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

2. kratos873

kratos873 Starship Captain

i
    i saw a post about date about april of this year or something similar, where they talking about last wipe on those dates and after no more wipes anymore, so i think we passed the wipe phase? atleast i would to know if there will be more universe/home buildings wipes because i was constructing big things, and would be bad surprise if there will be a wipe after so hard work, please anyone knows about homes wipes? or ships? i just read no more character wipes, but this doesnt imply another kind of wipes.

3. kratos873

kratos873 Starship Captain

Changelog for v. Furious Koala 26/01/2014

Hey there Stargazers and Sports Racers, it’s been quite some time since the last patch, and we have some very large changes dropping this release.

Code Changes:

• Absolutely massive changes to disk serialization (sorry reversers), which will allow us to never need to wipe players or ships again, and hopefully never need to wipe worlds again.

4. Qwerr

Qwerr Void-Bound Voyager

Character wipes within Nightly will most likely occur. You could consider the updated Matter Manipulator as the reason for a character wipe as you would have to get the new one, while already having the old one leading to occupying two slots, but it could lead to having a missing slot.

The way I see things is, that your player/ship data could be transfered (patching them to have the slots, maybe), while I think that getting your universe to work is more unlikely.
    I'm no expert concerning those things so I might be extremly wrong, but this is simply what I saw during nightlys.

I did hear/read somewhere that no more wipes would happen, but let's be honest: I could be that there has been so much change that it's really hard to not do the wipe or to patch the saves.

5. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

None of these changes have anything to do with player or shipworld files though. Aside from minor changes with ship being upgradable and the matter manipulator having it's own slot now anyway. So... why exactly should anyone expect a wipe?

6. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

I think we will really need someone at CF to tell us rather or not they can just patch the stuff into the world and players and what not. Right now they don't attempt to patch old characters in the nightlies due to contant changes so you really can't go by that.

Maybe @OmnipotentEntity, @kyren, or @metadept would be able to shed some light on the subject.

7. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

We can, check out the assets/versioning for how we do it. We essentially can modify any parameter passed through the versioning system, and promote non-versioned information to versioned as needed.

8. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

That is good to know. I will have to look into it myself. Thanks for the info.

9. SalmonMax

SalmonMax Title Not Found

And that's why they call him Omnipotent.

linkthegamer likes this.
  10. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

So, no more wipes in other words as promised, yes?

11. OmnipotentEntity

No wipes are planned. We have a few dozen saved characters and worlds that we're going to use to hammer out the upgrades when it comes time.

12. One of Six

One of Six Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not sure if this is germane to the topic at hand, but does that include weapons? I noticed when the melee weapons were updated to be "aimable" several months ago that new weapons I forged or picked up could be aimed (one-handed, spears, axes, and so on) but older versions in my inventory from before that patch still cannot.

13. OmnipotentEntity

Because weapons are random generated, it's not trivial to determine if an old weapon *ought* to be rotated. But yes, we could have updated them if we had found a good way to.