Race the Zaahir

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Lucid_Dakou, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Lucid_Dakou

Lucid_Dakou Void-Bound Voyager

there'd be some underground portions. I imagined there would be a series of vertical shafts and chambers in the mountain the city's attached to (kind of like a giant termite mound) leading the player up to the top, and then they start working their way through the city proper.

deafblindmute likes this.
  2. Gentleman

Gentleman Star Wrangler

This sounds like a great idea.
    I support this, I would love to see this.

3. LordDaniil

LordDaniil Void-Bound Voyager

The first original race in a long time. Realy cool idea.

litlbear likes this.
  4. litlbear

litlbear Subatomic Cosmonaut

omfg

an original race, well thought out, and from a new biome. this is incredible. i'd be surprised if they weren't added in.

5. Gravik

Gravik Existential Complex

6. Captain Malcolm

Captain Malcolm Big Damn Hero

I love this idea!
    There should be a Quest where you meet a Prince Of Persia NPC who teaches you how to Wall-Slide, Wall-Run, Wall-Jump and Wall-Cling. Then he gives you a red and purple scarf that you can wear on you waist or your head(Prince Of Persia stile) and when you wear it on your waist you have the scarf trailing from your waist so it flaps when you run

7. Omega-9124

Omega-9124 Industrial Terraformer

Looks very cool, I'd love to see them added.

8. LordPils

LordPils Orbital Explorer

Moth/Beetle people with an Arabic theme? We don't have an insect race I can support this.

Gia-Knight likes this.
  9. EstebanWinsmore

EstebanWinsmore Orbital Explorer

Good concept, bad sprites. Work on those. What would their racial armor bonus be? Climbing on walls?

10. Arrem

Arrem Subatomic Cosmonaut

I just love the idea of a suspended city hanging from underside a cliff. its something you rarely see done in fantasy or sci-fi even where it would fit.

I love your concept art for them, it gives them a lot of personality.

Tyto likes this.
  11. Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

HHHHHHNNNNNGGGG FULL SUPPORT YES INSECT RACE!!!! :viking:

12. Percival

Percival Phantasmal Quasar

Oh, wonderful. I was going to make a thread for a bug race, but you've already done that, and with better art than I could possibly have come up with. Perfect. All the support for this one. An insect race focused on trading, collecting, and hoarding rare and valuable things is exactly what I want to play.

13. Lucid_Dakou

which parts of the sprites need work, exactly? Or do the entire things just need to be scrapped and reworked? I'm fairly new to sprite work and am not entirely sure where I screwed up so bad, so any help fixing it would be appreciated. Also, I originally suggested a racial armor ability to cling to/ climb walls, but people suggested that might be a bit OP, and someone else suggested just a resistance/ nullification to heat, which I understand could be a big deal with the temperature thing in the game. I suppose a climbing cable thing, or something like those Doc Oc vines from Terraria could be cool too. I'm open to further suggestions for that too.

14. TechnoVibe

TechnoVibe Big Damn Hero

I love this idea. Right on. Though, I think the type of insects you can select from should be more diverse. Also, I think a cool idea for the noblemen is that they should be something of an enlarged bug ( I.E: An Ant-Lion, perhaps? ) ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...umer.jpg/220px-Antlion1_by_Jonathan_Numer.jpg ) <---- picture of an Ant-Lion, for those who do not know. Of course, they're only that big in their larval state, they look sort of like twigs as adults, but I digress.

15. Lucid_Dakou

Well, yeah, what's a bug race without a really diverse selection? I only listed a few examples initially. I figured some included arthropods like, but not limited to: mantids, moths, grasshoppers, hercules beetles, stag beetles, spiders, crawfish/ lobster, cicada, bees, and probably some more. With some of those having plenty of possibilities for variants within their own sub-group.

Oh, and yeah, I pictured the nobles as being sorta monster bugs like that. They'd likely be bosses for dungeons

Tyto likes this.
  16. Zain Hallows

Zain Hallows Existential Complex

Centipedes! oh please give me a centipede <3

17. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

This fits in perfectly with the general theme of starbound, race reflecting a historic period or culture.
    Could have a unique armor mod easy as others have said for wall climbing, the city idea looks fantastic.
    *Minor edit: I don't think wall climbing is OP as long as you can't stick directly to ceilings. Any overhang would slow you down, and like in MegamanX games maybe you slide down constantly rather then stick? It would make it so you can't hangout in a boss room corner without some effort/button mashing. Nor could you mine while having to constantly jump.

What about dungeon ideas though? I thought every race would need/have two.. We could have something that looks like a pyramid? Might clash with the style tho. Maybe something that generates purely hive like, to look old and reflect how they maybe lived before becoming civilized or something?

Also how do we draw the devs attention to this? If we are going to have broadswords, katanas probably, why not an excuse to have curved swords too?
    That and jokes aside this is a kicking idea. Even if its an after release type thing these should be in the game. :D

Tyto likes this.
  18. An amazing development of the insectoid race concept!
    Greatly support!:up:

19. Fayorei

Fayorei Void-Bound Voyager

I am honestly surprised there isn't already an insect race. If one race needs to get in, it is this one! Those settlements sell me on this alone.

Ravenholme likes this.
  20. rayzorsan

rayzorsan Space Hobo

Very neat, they could be like the enemies of the floran. Since they look like ants they could take their nectar or some such.

Shippo likes this.