1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The True Purpose for Space Hobos

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ferroseed, Mar 3, 2012.

?

What should I feed Winson?

1. Cats

17.6%
  2. Cat food

17.6%
  3. Hamburgers

29.4%
  4. Other space hobos

35.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

That darn hobo was sleeping in the torpedo deck again!

2. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Or you could do "Transparent" in the BB code!

Like this!

OT: Wasn't i warned not to talk about such things by a red panda?

Aviakio likes this.
  3. Bomb

Bomb Title Not Found

The Space Hobo is not actually homeless.

Diagnosed with cancer, the multi-millionaire tasks himself to find an heir to his fortunes, but would only give it to a single person who is selfless, caring and benevolent. To accomplish this, he dawns a "Space Hobo" attire -- trampled and stained garbs and old rags for scarves -- and travels the world with a tip cup in hand, waiting for that one soul to be kind enough to share their hard earned money with him for no reason other than to give. He would give his wealth to that lad, lass or mutant -- and die knowing that his immense bank would be put in careful hands.

Or maybe he is just a bum on the side of the road. Who knows?

Aer_ likes this.
  4. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

Space Hobo was horribly abused as a child but put up with it because of his brother, but one day after his brother Lando Hobo was murdered he dedicated his life for the greater good. He became the admiral of a ship command and even met a nice lady, and got to go on missions to save planets. He was internationally known, for some even a role model, people all over the universe loved him. Until that fateful day. He was tasked to go on the planet of Rongonia, which was said to be a tribal monster-like planet, and he accepted. The beings there had nothing but maces and some bows and he was fighting for his life. He was doing so well, killing the evil monsters that inhabited the planet, he was on top of the world! He came back alive, but was injured from one of the creatures.
    Unfit for duty, soon the army relieved him of his command, and he went into retirement. After a while he soon discovered his own wife and family had taken all of the valuables he owned. He was in a wreck, and more depressed then when even his brother died. If that wasn't enough, his brothers ghost came to tell him that he actually never loved him, and he was always just joking around. Then walking one day was mugged for the rest of the money he owned. He had to go into the life of a space hobo.
    That is the story of Space Hobo the space hobo... He used to be an admiral... but then he took an arrow to the knee.

5. Tctoocold

Tctoocold Subatomic Cosmonaut

Gerald Hobo The Short Story:
    Gerald hobo once took off his paper bag, he was so ugly everyone died, the end

6. Nomicakes

Nomicakes Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like to imagine the Space Hobo as some sort of transient space-junk/salvaged materials salesman, used in crafting some niche items, or even for modified weaponry.
    You also shouldn't need to 'find' or 'rescue' him from any planets, but when returning after, say, the third story mission, he just appears on your ship, having shown a hobo's innate skill at simply appearing somewhere you least expect him.

7. NaigHikariYami

NaigHikariYami Void-Bound Voyager

The true purpose of the Space Hobo is.. to be experimented on in many ways 8D

But in all seriousness I think he could be like a NPC that you can recruit really cheap and upgrade him or something that's assuming if there's like mercenary NPCs
    Or simple a man that teaches you the rules of space and how not to end up like him.

8. Hydrae

Hydrae Cosmic Narwhal

I believe the "Space Hobo" to be none other than

[​IMG]
    "Walter Bishop is a scientific researcher from Cambridge, MA. He was Harvard educated, and did his postgraduate work at Oxford and MIT. He was formerly an endowed chair in Biochemistry at Harvard University, and a senior research consultant for Kelvin Genetics. Walter supplies the scientific genius and technological wizardry needed to explore The Pattern. Dr. Bishop has a recorded IQ of 196."

My Walter enjoys red licorice, blueberry pancakes, coffee:coffee:yogurt, gum, cheesesteaks, devil dogs, fruit cocktails, chicken wings, root beer, ginger ale, blue cotton candy-not pink, coffee:coffee:cake, and a potent strain of Brown Betty. He also cooks in the nude on Tuesdays. :up:

9. Kewlan

Kewlan Star Wrangler

You want to keep your hobo as a slave? Not cool.

10. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

I would train my Space-Hobo to become a formidable fighter, and he would accompain me on my adventures!
    If that doen't work, I'll kill him.

11. blejd

blejd Scruffy Nerf-Herder

thats cruel!

uhm, space hobo is extremly funny for me, but ye, we could use him as mercenary which works for us for food! damn yea!

12. Madmarlon

It's not. This is the way of life.

13. blejd

cruel x2 ; p

14. Madmarlon

I'm just being realistic. A useless space-hobo, who can't even fight? Why would I want such a thing?
    KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!! (not really)

15. blejd

Just give him soemthing to do besides fighting, maybe he can harvest some plants? : D Or just Feed ur pigs (or penguins) on farm!?

16. Madmarlon

No, he'll eat them! I know it!! He's to lazy to work!

17. Madmarlon

Also he would pee on my plants!

18. blejd

it's called fertilizer :D

19. Madmarlon

NO, I SAID NO! GET IT OUT OF MY HOUSE!

well, but I'm not against this whole space-hobo idea! I mean, as long as I don't have to keep one...

20. Dehlak

Dehlak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For some reason, I think to myself that some space hobos would actually be highly-trained ninja assassins in disguise.. When the player walks by, the assumed hobo would quickly pull out dual magnums, dual blades or something(s) relevant to that and start fighting you in an epic 5-minute battle filled with Matrix-degree VFX and explosions. There could even be others hiding in the ground that eventually jump out before the initial battle to aid their comrade.

Their purpose could either be that (disguises for ninja assassins, unexpected battles and player assassinations) or they'll just beg the player for money or other things and possibly do the player's bidding after some donation is given to them. (Personally, I'd probably keep him/her as a companion and give said 'hobo' decent equipment for their tasks. :p)

It would be interesting if their purpose(s) would be both of the above. Serve the player then betray when player's unaware. inb4 drama moment on back-stab!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.