The Strange and Unusual

Discussion in 'Other' started by Inferno_Draconis, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

I know a minor one i think, because you will soon start lacking those again:

In a medieval development stage planet(it can be any planet really, but that would be best). In a building, as you walk by empty suits of armor all holding their swords upwards, one of the suits of armor scratches it's helm with the point of his sword, as if the helm was its head. After that it becomes an immobile decoration again.

Inferno_Draconis likes this.
  2. ~~Edit~~

Added to Bigger Mysteries.

I decided to apply Axelthegreat9's idea of unseen life to a town, since signs of invisible, unintelligent life would be almost impossible to spot in a 2D gaming environment. I've never seen The Twilight Zone, so I don't know the reference. Hope you like the result.
    Added to Major Weirdness.
    I would probably laugh if I spotted this one in game. For that reason, I like it. Added to Minor Oddities.

Wow. A lot of ideas this time. Thanks for the input, everyone. :DD

3. Towwl

Towwl Phantasmal Quasar

These are all great. Some of the things here would make me Alt + F4 and stop playing for a few hours/days. Too bad some of them wouldn't be noticed because of change blindness :<
    Here's some ideas that I was thinking of while reading your list

Major: At a random time while playing after endgame, preferably near a base of your or in your homeworld, the default character spawns somewhere nearby you. If you try to talk to him, he will instantly start attacking you. The attacks are strong but if you hit him just once, he will die and your game will crash to the main menu. Once you log back in, you will be at your space station and somebody in your crew will say something like "Are you okay? You've been out for a while."

Major: While exploring a cave, the floor opens up beneath you into a deep pit. After around five seconds of falling you reach the bottom. The floor at the bottom is glowing very brightly with spikes, lava, or some other kind of hazard. Just as you are going to die, you are teleported back to the surface. If you go back to that area again the trap won't be there.

Bigger: In a ruined planet entirely covered with craters, there is a single area that seems quite primitive with basic life living there in a community. They are perfectly happy and aren't in sorrow about any sort of apocalyptic event.

Minor: While exploring a cave, you find an abnormally colored torch. Trying to take it will make it teleport a few blocks away.

Minor: A usually passive mob will start attacking you. It won't do any damage though.

Minor: In a completely undeveloped world, you find a single bear trap like contraption. It's a decorative item so it won't harm you in any way.

4. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

oh my god dude, these ideas are awesome and are creeping me out just reading them, theyre the kind of mind-benders that i love.

heres the one i came up with
    when you land on a planet, a little rat (or any sort of tiny animal) see you and follow you. as time goes on the planet, more and more and more of those rats slowly starts following you, only stopping a little while before returning again when you slay them all

5. civengine

civengine Big Damn Hero

Ideas.
    Minor Anomalies
    You barely notice a single piece of ore, when you come back without mining it first it momentarily flashes all blocks around it with it's texture.
    Bigger Mysteries
    You notice a lone building and you enter it, noticing a strange shadow which you investigate it to find a data pad which describes a horrific encounter with a monster which you occasionally catch glimpses of.
    Major Weirdness
    You can capture a rather strong creature only to find in the lab it's incredibly weak.

centor111 and Inferno_Draconis like this.
  6. TheAwesomeAvian

TheAwesomeAvian Sandwich Man

How about a oddity. you find a garden in it one of the pots is smashed and The flower in it is bigger than the others with huge roots going deep into the ground, later you find a crashed spaceship, entangled with roots:fireball:

7. Phyrex

oh oh, its not original at all but some event like the one in "the thing" would be awesome.
    you capture a seemingly inocent dog and bring it back at the station only to discover its a monster. then its a paranoiac monster hunt as you try to kill it

8. Run Juan Run

Run Juan Run Big Damn Hero

what about at night time you just hear crying... then in the morning you just see a little doll holding a knife

9. TheAwesomeAvian

how about around halloween, a jack-o-lantern, is randomly seen, when you approach it, it sneezes and vanishes

10. TheAwesomeAvian

no offence but the whole idea is strange and unexplaneable not a new side quest, maybe, in the morning a scientist is gone, there is blood on the wall, and the securiy footage shows, something big in the darkness

Inferno_Draconis and §hifter like this.
  11. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

kill it with fire @.@ dolls are scary :cry:

12. Run Juan Run

Run Juan Run Big Damn Hero

13. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

you should refrain from using 1 word posts ._.

also idea: your sitting in your house/space station watching tv when all lights go out and you hear a scary sound/see a LIGHT shadow and later the lights go on again and you see a note on the table.

Ricky150 and Inferno_Draconis like this.
  14. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

Well, i'm just starting to think that "mysteries" and "oddities" shouldn't necessarily be all creepy. After all, "Strange" and "Creepy" are nowhere near the same thing.

15. Wow. I'm getting rather overloaded with ideas now.
    ~~Edit~~

Added your ideas with some slight adjustments. Hope that's OK.
    Added to Bigger Mysteries.
    This one made me chuckle. Added it to Minor Oddities. I've added a few humorous ones of my own to all three lists, too.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to close the OP to contributions now. I wasn't expecting quite so many ideas! I'm still going to give likes to ideas I think would fit, but I won't be adding them. Sorry to those others who also came up with good ideas, but the lists are starting to get rather too long.

My thanks to everyone who contributed! :DD :up::notworthy:

16. qazxcwe

qazxcwe Phantasmal Quasar

On a side quest you find a strange looking stone so you bring it back to the lab for testing.
    It turns out the stone predicts the future and all the scientists tried it out and it worked for all of them but when you try it all you hear is echoed screams...

17. qazxcwe

qazxcwe Phantasmal Quasar

Just too late!:cry:

18. Sorry! :( It was a good idea, though.

19. Phyrex

you know, after posting my idea, and a couple of hours of thinking, i remembered where the idea came from.
    the movie "the birds" from hitchcock

20. Fantastic Mr. Legion

Fantastic Mr. Legion Phantasmal Quasar

When you enter a new planet, you find a village inhabited by around 20 to 30 people. They seem kind enough to trade with you and offer you shelter and rest whilst you explore the planet. When you talk to a certain older resident, he is the only person that has seemed to mention that the village has had disappearances every night or so. He explains that there is a brief alien-like clicking followed by a ear-piercing screech and a scream. Every single night, there is one less resident in the village.

Also, I love all the ideas the community comes up with.