Building/Ship The Republic of San Leone

Discussion in 'Screenshots' started by Beatrice, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

... however, there are still people who seem to like the stuff I'm doing. That makes me a really happy Beatrice :D

Another picture in the "Bea's still not sure what she is doing"-gallery:

[​IMG]

This house and it's concept is still far from being finished, but I may take the concept and alter it to a more pleasant outcome later...

2. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

looks like it needs fireplaces :)

Beatrice likes this.
  3. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, and also some fancy paintings (made by signs). :D

SivCorp, TheFloranChef and Tamorr like this.
  4. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

[​IMG]

I posted this picture in another thread, but I post it here, too - because this is still the main thread for my works. :p

It's also the first building after a long time... which I really like. No self-criticism this time! :D

DragonsForce, Dansec, Uzkniso and 7 others like this.
  5. ODST 4900

ODST 4900 Pangalactic Porcupine

Love the kinda leafy borders around the open spaces, makes for a nice viney look!

Beatrice likes this.
  6. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Yes, I like this aspect, too. And that's the motive why I asked in the dev diaries if these open spaces may cause problems with the upcoming "colonies"-feature. If NPC move in and check the background, it's not clear how they react when they encounter open areas like arches. Still waiting for an answer.

And here's the next one: one time with furniture, one time without.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Did I say... I'm out of practice... well, seems like I get used to that style.

[​IMG]

I'm really happy that we can make bricks. Painting it is such a joy! Due to the sunlight, you may not see it well, but it's painted in orange which gives it even a more mediterranean touch. Three persons have moved into my houses (the three you see on this page) on the new planet called "Vacanza", and there are two more who want a house on that planet to move in. Seems that they like the new style...

8. ODST 4900

I remembered i lost my main ocean world to generation errors or something, i could never get into my building area. (i could access everything else)
    If that ever happened to you on these ocean wonders, what would be your reaction? I probably would give up.... well, maybe. ;)

9. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Well, I've lost so far everything I had: first, I lost my personal home. This happened in January 2013, when the first major patch for Koala hit.

Then, I started to build San Leone on my first MP server, This included the capital of San Leone, the Garden Planet of San Clemente, the quarry of San Dionisio and the Tiy Statue on Sant'Alessandro. You can have a look at it on the first page.

However, as there was no stable update for roughly a year, the MP-fanbase collapsed. Many severs closed, mine was one of them. This happened in December 2014. When it was shut down, all these projects were destroyed (and that was the majority of my work).

In January 2015, I moved with some friends from the old sever to a new one. There I established a new colony for the "refugees" on a desert planet, called San Geronimo (the neighbouring planet of San Leone). In a relatively short time, I built this project and I'm really proud on it - especially, because the houses were inhabitated by real players. Way cooler than NPCs. And the fancy Leeven-style did the rest. You can see the pictures on the pages here (7-9).

But, as you know, the patch came at the end of January. So, once again: all of San Geronimo was lost.

People on my server admire my stoic character in such situations ;). I don't get a breakdown, as long as I have ideas, I create something.

Chrillzilla and SivCorp like this.
  10. ODST 4900

Good, i too must say i admire that bounce back attitude.

I also aim to rebuild what i planned before the many wipes.. they will never trump yours though. I'm fine with that. :)

Beatrice likes this.
  11. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Too much compliments to handle, as always! Thanks :D

Here's also the last house, once again - but with furniture!

[​IMG]

12. ODST 4900

How large a stockpile must you have for all these supplies and buildings? Ten or so glitch villages and a couple of clay specific biome worlds?

13. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Well, I'm playing on a server, and as the people there like what I'm doing, they give me a hand when it comes to the buildings - and as they want to live in these houses, they give me even more than I want.

Yesterday - for example - a friend of mine saw my new buildings... and he really liked them because they have a bit of the feeling of the old colonial buildings back in the time of plantations in the Carribean. He wanted to build some pools for coconut milk. So he asked if I could visit his planet and build something. I did this without hesitation, because he gave me materials in the past. When building the house, I only said "well, I need some bricks, maybe 1.000", and in the middle of the work he returned... with more than 3.000. Later I said "ok, I'm finishing the roof, I have only 100 plantmatter left, maybe you can have a look if you find some?".

He came back with 5.000. Fivethousand. And he collected them. No admin commands.

In that way someone may argue if my work is that valid as I show it. However, I see myself as an architect, and as such, people call me, I think, I plan, I build and decorate. It is understandable that people don't want to wait until I have collected the materials...

In the beginning, on San Leone, I did everything myself. Everything. Until I invited some people. Beginning with the cathedaral, I got several "donations", but even in the late days of San Leone, I still had to collect materials like soft brick because I needed it more than anything else (cobblestone and packed dirt was much easier, as I did much terraforming). When we changed the server and I lost my buildings on San Leone, I founded San Geronimo. The spawn point and the first house were created entirely by me with my own materials. But when I began to design houses for other players on that planet, and more and more people moved in, they donated even more and more. Since then, I didn't have to "work" at all.

For me, that's not so much cheating, but a question of organisation. What began as a RPG-republic has become a real one. We have one guy who works as guard and welcomes new players, showing them the village (and has to look if there is no unwelcomed stranger). Another one has a look at the warehouse and arranges everything, so that we have enough materials (and furniture), everything ordered correctly. Others have entirely focused to gather materials. In this process of specialization, everything has become much easier for me, so that I can focus on building - and music.

As I talked about the architectural help from a friend on his coconut plantation... here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

After experimenting with the new style, I really have to say that I'm envious on my friend who has made this house the new headquarter of his coconut milk company. As you can see, I've taken different ideas from the last builds and merged them in this one: I'm very proud on the harmony and details. Look at the decorative elements between the windows, taken from the first house I made; the ground floor is an idea from the second house, wheareas the overall concept is taken from the last house.

After this building, he ordered a second, smaller one:

[​IMG]

What I like about this concept is the size. If there was a Leeven race, and I had to design a NPC-house/minor dungeon, this one would be a good example which is small and stylish. My other houses are simply too big.

[​IMG]

Here's also a picture from his coconut milk pools. I'm not sure if someone is supposed to drink it or swim in it, but it's not my job to find out... I had to build two houses...

14. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Great use of red and soft bricks! It does have an old plantation feel to it... excellent as always :)

Beatrice likes this.
  15. ODST 4900

They look brilliant, wish I had a stable building style... But alas, so many useful human-tech things.

Also, is that main buildings celler used for something? The lack of a photo makes me wonder...

Beatrice likes this.
  16. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Thank you! Yes, it's interesting how merchant nations like Venice, Britain and the Netherlands tend to have a common style when it comes to colonies :D.

I think my building style evolved also a bit (I hope in a better way). At the moment, I would say that San Leone had a more mixed architecture of different styles, whereas Sna Geronimo had a rather unique one (with very indiviual houses); Vacanza, at the moment, seems to go in a more advanced direction and becomes a symbiosis of traditional venetian style (I had such builings also in San Leone) and the Leeven style. The next picture is a good example:

[​IMG]

Once again, a building for a friend (smile!). The house itself is interesting, because it combines Leeven decoration and the new, more venetian style of Vacanza. I really like how everything works together! The vineyards, the leafs and the arches at the flanks instead are taken from an original building from San Geronimo:

[​IMG]

However, I think I've done it better in the newer build, even if the ideas arent new!

Regarding the cellar: yes, there is one, but I did this picture on Zoom 1, and it was still too big! I assume that the new owner wanted to put some cocos milk barrels in it...

17. ODST 4900

I see the last picture seems older than the others, a less eccentric furbishing or 'build decor'.

18. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

The decoration maybe less eccentric, however, some houses on San Geronimo were themselves more eccentric :D. Also, the furniture was done by someone else. I tend to fill the rooms with more furniture...

Well, I'm away for some weeks. So no pictures for some time. :)

[​IMG]

19. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

I'm still away for two weeks; however, here's a screenshot I posted elsewhere but not in this thread. ;)

[​IMG]

And yes, monsters on the rooftop and on the streets are still... annoying. Fix this, Chucklefish!

20. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

As it seems that I didn't post it yet here - which is strange, as I did it before in the Leeven thread - I want to link to THIS thread:

http://community.playstarbound.com/...geons-to-enrich-the-world-of-starbound.96630/

As some people liked my stuff so much, xxsawtelitexx suggested that some of my builds should be made dungeons for a mod. Kayuko was so kind to begin with the work, and hopefully, we may see some more effort in the future. :)