1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated The Reptan Race v0.35.6

adds the Reptan race, a collection of courageous, curious lizards for you to play as.

1. nubnubbud

nubnubbud Pangalactic Porcupine

nubnubbud submitted a new mod:

The Reptan Race - adds the Reptan race, a collection of courageous, curious lizards for you to play as.

Read more about this mod...

HalGake likes this.
  2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

So what happens when you play a female reptan and wear, say, anything from the base game? Or vice versa?

3. nubnubbud

...damn. hadn't thought about it, other than I could describe it away by saying "they aren't made for reptans, and thus, have bra pieces. as for the other way around, it would be hard to get armor from outside your race, and they'd be tight, anyway." but I'm gonna take it in the face and say

I MESSED UP.

but I'm not gonna stop making this or anything. if only I could figure out the issues concerning character creation, I could actually worry about this kind of thing. but I'm four days in, and can't figure out how to make the alt section change their "hair" color for crap.

4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

And you damn well shouldn't stop.
    Interesting. Apex come closest to what you seem to intend, but with the hair color different from the body... looking at the Apex sheet (as used in the online character creator, only difference should be the head being there) and your mod's icon, I can see how this might be an issue if you want to have effectly three colors -- base, belly, hair. But if you instead have the belly color mapped as part of the base color... you can have green reptans with lighter green bellies, red reptans with pink bellies, with any hair color you want, at the cost of things like green reptans with pink bellies.

At least that's my slightly-informed theory.

5. nubnubbud

It would be fine if the belly (subcolor) and hair (marking) colors were the same, and controlled by the altOption. just, getting that along with facial hair (frills) seems impossible. in fact, even having hair color determined by the alt slot doesn't work when I test it, but the floran race does it.

WAIT...how does it know which hair color is which in the floran sheet? (probably not related to what I need.)

"altOptionAsUndyColor" : true,
    "headOptionAsHairColor" : true,
    "altOptionAsHairColor" : true,

it seems to detect the undycolor, then attribute it to the hair, then use the hair color solely for the flower...

so if a part of the hair asset is left uncolored, the undycolor will look for colors there that it can translate
    not that I know how to use it to my advantage.

most likely, facial hair was never meant to work with hair color.

6. Sir Orange

Sir Orange Ketchup Robot

Since I love most reptiles, I think you could add heads with fangs and horns as an option. Also, to avoid issues with ingame armor, just put boobs on the females, it'll make them more distinguishable and will also make the job a lot easier for you.

7. nubnubbud

That's because most people can't use anything else to differentiate gender.
    in reality, this would not happen, and an unaccustomed human may mistake a male for a female, or vice versa.
    the resulting happenings are either awkward, shocking, entertaining, or disillusioning, so I say
    [​IMG]
    AND FOREVER SHALL LIVE ROLEPLAY.

and it was good.

also it was like half the reason I made this mod. all the other lizard mods had breasts. that bugged the hell out of me.

8. Sir Orange

Sir Orange Ketchup Robot

I understand, the boobs are what all true warriors strive for. What you could do is use male armor for both genders. Also, maybe put spots on the skin of the female or the male. Or just anything that can help differentiate them.

9. Holgast

Holgast Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh, hello. Cool to see a different take on the reptiles thing, and while sexual dimorphism was brought up during development of our mod, we ultimately decided not to go with it.
    Still, I applaud your work in making your race different from the norm and more faithful to its influence, although as mentioned above Starbound has a bit of a problem with that in regards to placement of clothing and the like.
    I think if you put up some screenshots it would be nice.

10. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

You could use body/head markings, that's what I'll be using for the Avali to differetiate the sexes. Sadly you can't use different palettes, both genders share palette options and far as I can tell arm sprites too.

Also, for your racial armours you can have males/females share the same flat chest models, that'd fit in witht he explanation that armours with cleavage are pinched off other species; this is further compounded by the fact the skin is not a part of the model, so if your females are flat chested, it'll be visible theres no real cleavage or bust inside the cup if it's a low-cut neck

11. Sir Orange

Sir Orange Ketchup Robot

This race needs a lot of thought put into it. I think putting flowers on the fins for the females could be a good idea (like you'd put a flower on your ear).

12. nubnubbud

okay, It's all good, now I just need a way to make the undy or alt color affect the hair color, or learn how to make a body subcolor and apply it to the body and hair. any help?

13. nubnubbud

that's what I was planning, and I've seen your race mod, and I've really been looking forward to it, and would be glad to help if I can! have you found a way to coordinate the hair and undy colors, or figure out how body subcolors in hair work yet? I'd love to see how you did their coloration in the .species file. it would be a shame to not have any lines or spots on these lizards, and I think you might just have my answer.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  14. nubnubbud

15. nubnubbud

[​IMG]
    SCREW THIS ILL JUST ADD LOTS OF HAIRS SO HERE YOU GO. ONCE I DO THAT I'LL RE-RELEASE IT.
    COME BACK AT 8 TOMORROW FOR THIS CONGLOMERATION OF CRAPPILY CONCEIVED AND CRUDELY CONSTRUCTED CODE.

Holgast likes this.
  16. nubnubbud

I HAVE MADE MY DECISION. FEMALE FRILLS AND SPINES WILL BE SLIGHTLY SMALLER THAN THE MALES'.
    [​IMG] (if you haven't guessed, i enjoy moving pictures.)

17. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

i may have some useful input BTW.

What I've done with the Avali now is to switch the hair and body colours. So now the "body" colour is actually the "hair" colour, and switched the labels at character creation, then restricted my hair styles only draw colours from the "undy" colour, and "hair" colour channels, the body channel isn't used on the hairstyles.

While using the following flags:
    Code:
     "altOptionAsUndyColor" : true,
      "headOptionAsHairColor" : true,
      "altOptionAsHairColor" : true,
      "hairColorAsBodySubColor" : true,
    While this limits you to two colours on hair, it does solve the problem and two-tone hair still gives a tonne of options.

[​IMG]

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Somewhat related: on the human species, if you add altOptionAsHairColor to human.species, the red hair decorations reflect the undy color. This seems obviously the intended behavior. Now, my felins have coat colors, belly colors, and hair colors, but they also have those hair decs! Solution: I precolored most of the hair decs a few different colors. Some are red, others are blue, or black. One is pink.

It was that or painstakingly color-coordinate them.

19. nubnubbud

damn. and I just finished making 96 differently colored hairs.
    [​IMG]

RyuujinZERO likes this.
  20. nubnubbud

So, I tried that, and for some reason, it didn't let me change the hair color. (I think adding Facial hair disables hair color). Could you show me the body, hair and head colors of your sprites? I might be missing something.