1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Problems with Novakids. (for me)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheWorstPersonEver, Nov 14, 2015.

1. TheWorstPersonEver

TheWorstPersonEver Cosmic Narwhal

upload_2015-11-22_14-30-0.png

Nope. Not updated.

2. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

IMO novakid shouldn't have been added so quickly, they just don't have enough... anything... to justify their existence. At least hylotl have lore, furniture, and towns (soon). Novakid have armor, ship, and 1 set of furniture. Bare bones. And they've been in the game for a really long time. It feels like they were added in as fan service at this point, and Chucklefish really doesn't want to work on them. Fixing them should have been priority, before any of this combat or monsters or vehicles stuff. Playable characters take priority. If you want to limit yourself to 6 playable races (imo there should/could be so much more), make them good. At this point, the Novakid could be scrapped with no impact whatsoever to the game.

Unpaid modders balancing coding and jobs and other projects have put more work into their race than the Novakid have gotten. I mean, they're very busy adding other useless furniture. Why not add some novakid furniture? I can't really think of what it would be, to be honest (wtf is cowboy theme other than saloon?), but give us something. Make us feel like you care about this part of your game, that you added because of the community.

3. TΔktik

TΔktik Phantasmal Quasar

The only good thing I can say about novakids is that they are a unique concept. A unique concept, but completely unfinished. The Hylotl are a unique concept that has some unfinished elements, the Apex are a decent concept but... well, they are ugly. Avians and Florans are fairly unique and for the most part, finished. Humans are... humans. That makes them boring.

4. TheWorstPersonEver

Hylotl are a better race than Novakids. Though sort of unloved by the devs, atleast they have a item that plays music.

And I agree. The Novakid just seem like a terrible, rushed race. It's like the devs just wanted us to make mods which ultimately make them better.

5. TΔktik

TΔktik Phantasmal Quasar

Hylotl are better than all!

6. TΔktik

TΔktik Phantasmal Quasar

You do know that you can get temp'd for that, right?

7. TheWorstPersonEver

well, gonna delete it. i don't want to risk being banned.[DOUBLEPOST=1448212739][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Yet their own weapons are just reskins over and over again.

8. TΔktik

TΔktik Phantasmal Quasar

They aren't going to have lore. I believe that they have stated that the novakids don't bother to record history.

9. TheWorstPersonEver

Pretty sure that is a excuse for the devs to keep the Novakid the boring way they are now or to be lazy.

10. TΔktik

TΔktik Phantasmal Quasar

Very sure that is an excuse for the devs to keep the Novakid the boring way they are now.

11. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If a dev said that, it's frankly shameful. That's just an excuse to ignore them even more. Even with the "no memory" thing, they could do a lot, maybe like "lost history", snippets of reports, maybe other species MENTIONING them at least.

Yep. If they're adopting this idiotic attitude towards a race added for the community, I don't see any reason it should be in the game at all. What really gets me is that it's not like they bit off more than they can chew: of course they can make some more textures and write some lore. In fact, they could enlist a team of modders to do it, that would fit with the Novakid being fan service.

This just reeks. The one thing the devs added to directly reward the community has been shunted to the wayside. I hope this isn't going to be a trend.

12. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Weren't Novakids just popular before they were actually released as playable characters? So they made them quick to make everyone happy?

Honestly that would make sense.

13. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

I do not believe "all" novakids would not bother to write anything down at all. they have their own personalities too right? So there would have to be some kind of history.

14. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

This has been pointed out numerous times already, but the hate-group apparently doesn't understand how game development works and expects everything to be complete in the Beta phase.

What? Did you read my post? What does that picture have to do with what I said in any way?

1. It won't be deleted in the quote unless the person who quoted you deletes it, so there's still a record of you saying that.
    My suggestion is to not swear at people in the future and at least make a half-hearted attempt to be civil.
    2. Their weapons are reskins... Just like every other race's weapons are? I don't see the problem here. If you're going to complain about that, at least complain about it for every race.

How many times does it need to be hammered into your head that the race is incomplete? Work in progress, not finished yet, released early so people who wanted to play a Novakid could play a Novakid, get it?
    Stop aruging for the sake of arguing. If, when they are caught up to the same level of detail as the other races, you still have problems, then go ahead and complain, but right now the Devs have more important things to work on.

I mean unless you would have preferred that they were left out completely until the time when the devs originally intended to add them, which if I'm correct was closer to 1.0, which would mean... I dunno, judging by the time it takes for updates to roll around, about half a year to a year from now?

jakecool19 and TheFudgement like this.
  15. TheWorstPersonEver

Yet, it almost seems like the devs make them seem like lazy fucks.

Plus, I am not dumb. I can tell it isn't gonna be finished.

Beta doesn't mean "complete".

I am not dumb.

16. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

They are more like "They simply can't be focused for enough time to write down their own history". Not that it is a good excuse for their lack of lore, considering that the ADHD humanoid cowboy stars must have called some attention from someone else, and what lore they have (Which is in their description, rather than the actual game, sadly enough) already interacted with other species (The whole "Asking a priest if he believes in his god bit" comes to mind).

17. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

I like to think that Chucklefish has a priority list. And this isn't very high on that list.

18. Akre

Akre Pangalactic Porcupine

I actually love that they have tiered guns, as for brands it would be cool to have realistic ones, but you can always use mods. And I don;t really care for lore, as it's usually stupid in most games, so it's best to leave it to the modders, esp. in an open world game like this.

19. Cavenyanson

Cavenyanson Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That sound really REALLY lazy snd hope they change that.

20. TheWorstPersonEver

They do realize all species have sight, right? (hey that rhymed)
    Other races like Hylotl or Humans could write about them.

So lazy..